[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci. As a high school senior, how could I best prepare for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Hey /sci. As a high school senior, how could I best prepare for majoring in Computer Science besides learning programming languages? I'm fairly proficient in Java and C++, but I would like to get a leg up on the mathematical side of computer science before I enter college. Should I start with discrete mathematics, and if so, are there any books that you would recommend? Is it worth it to go through Spivak's Calculus if I felt that my high school Calculus course is a little too lightweight? Sorry for the meme degree, but it just happens to be something that I'm legitimately interested in.
>>
Calculus and Linear Algebra. They are your friends. Pretty much cover up everything you need for undergrad. Learn them enough to understand some optimization algorithms. Discrete Math is easy af. If you can't get 4.0 I recommend you to quit asap. Stop wasting everyone's time.
>>
Learn some set theory and proofs, that comes into play when you learn algorithms and computability

How to Prove It - Velleman
Book of Proof - forgot

Those are pretty good books you can go through but be ready to rigorously prove some extremely mundane and painfully obvious shit. You technically could go through Spivak, but trust me it won't be worth it for the path you're going down.
>>
>>7950790
why don't you think Spivak will be worth it? Does Calculus not play a big a factor in theoretical CS?
>>
>>7950829
Not really, go skim through an Algorithms or an Computability/Complexity/Automata book. You'll find that knowledge of set theory is much more relevant in these, and those two are pretty much the foundation of theoretical CS.
>>
>>7950848
Ok thanks!
>>
You don't need to do anything to prepare, except maybe learn to shower and apply deodorant. Those two things will greatly increase your chances of being one of the few people who aren't hated in your major.
>>
File: 1458188513586.jpg (36 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
1458188513586.jpg
36 KB, 462x579
>>7950947
hehehehHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEE!!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.