[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /sci/ know anything about linear actuators/stages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: 01.jpg (18 KB, 385x512) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
18 KB, 385x512
Alright /sci/, I've looked and looked but I can't the parts I need for a project I'm working on. I'm not an engineer, so I think I'm not using the right terminology when I search. I refuse to believe this is so difficult.
Any help would be much appreciated.

My project requires positioning a 5 kg component *very* precisely over the XY plane (where Z is vertical, i.e. perpendicular to the ground/gravity), over an area not to exceed 0.5 m^2. I need to be able to position the component ANYWHERE in the 0.5 m^2 area, to within 1 cm.
Some considerations:

>Accuracy
* Accurate to within 1 cm is crucial. To within 1 mm would be outstanding.

>Time
* The move time is not critical, so it can take several seconds to re-position itself. Accuracy and repeatability is key.

>Dwell time (is this the correct term?)
* The positioning system may need to wait for a bit while the component performs an action. After which it may re-position to a new location that is not the default state. So it isn't just moving and immediately reciprocating.

* Method
My crude drawing (pic related) has the 5 kg component attached to linear slides by arms/struts/horizontal supports.
* Again, perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way, because as long as the component is in the right spot IDGAF how it gets there.

I'll post what I've found so far in the next post.
>>
File: 0J3923.600.png (41 KB, 600x283) Image search: [Google]
0J3923.600.png
41 KB, 600x283
>>7950308
I looked at linear slides, all the ones I looked at simply popped out and return. I think they were intended for assembly-line applications.

XY linear stages were almost all too small.
The 3 or so that were 0.5-1 m^2 were $10,000 or more.

Linear servos weren't long enough, or were designed for hobbyists. Again, I need something better suited for commercial/industrial use.

Almost everything I saw was not meant for positioning *anywhere* on the stroke length. Rather, they were for extending to maximum length quickly, and returning back to 0 immediately.
Nowhere in between.
No lingering.

Why does such a such a product not exist for <$10,000? It's very simple from an engineering standpoint.
>>
>>7950308
wtf are the grey connections supposed to be
>>
File: 615-800-600[1].jpg (51 KB, 800x441) Image search: [Google]
615-800-600[1].jpg
51 KB, 800x441
>>7950334
it's not so simple...

As an engineer, you should count $10k for every degree of freedom on a factory robot, which would make what you ask, all costs included, $20k

For an XY machine, the system is overconstrained, and 5kg is heavy.

Have you considered a robotic arm like pic related?
>>
>>7950384
It can be mounted on a frame. So it can have a track.
>>
>>7950334

look into 1605 ballscrew on ebay, there like 1€/cm
you can also consider belt driven stage
>>
File: 3085192616_91a306ff51_z.jpg (63 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
3085192616_91a306ff51_z.jpg
63 KB, 500x333
>>7950308
>> within 1 cm
Shit anon, that's not very precise.

How about making something like those shitty diy CNC routers? You should be able to ge 1 cm precision easily. It will be slow though. Maybe you could use belts. You don't need much force right?

I really want to say that you should use pneumatic binary actuators, because they are supposed to be insanely precise.

A pneumatic binary actuator is a n pneumatic cylinders stacked on top of each other where each cylinder is half the length of the last one. Each cylinder can be in a state of 0 contracted or 1 extended. By setting cylinders to one or zero one can get precise positioning
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.