[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graduate School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: shh homer is thinking.png (553 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
shh homer is thinking.png
553 KB, 720x540
What is graduate school for? Who is graduate school for?

My impression is that it lets students get the opportunity to REALLY study a subject in depth, to the point that basically you are then the authority on that subject because typically you're the only one doing that research.
What determines the research, though, is your advisor right? Or can you independently study something?
I really want to work as soon as I finish my BS, but would like to get my doctorates one day if possible. However my gpa is 3.4 right now. Am I out for good? Would it be stupid to go back and retake classes and try to get a higher grade? Or would schools take work experience into account for an application?
>>
>>7949773
>to the point that basically you are then the authority on that subject because typically you're the only one doing that research.

That' more like postdoc.
>>
>>7949773
i finished my bs and realized I wasn't qualified for shit/had no real idea of what I wanted to do. Just applied to the same uni I did undergrad at and now I'm doing masters to get hands on experience
>>
>>7949822
>had no real idea of what I wanted to do

I hear this a lot. A chem professor at my school had no idea what he wanted to do, so he just kept going further and further into his education that he ended up a professor at the school.
>>
Graduate school is for learning to be an independent researcher. At the end, you will in fact be the authority on some incredibly specific subject. Your advisor will shape your research because you're a dumb kid, but over time you'll learn to do it all on your own. It would be incredibly stupid to retake classes, especially if your worst grades are in lower level classes. They won't give two shits about work experience, honestly.
>>
>>7949773
>Who is graduate school for?
Faggots who can't be arsed to do something useful in the private sector.
>>
>>7949843
it's not a bad idea if you are financially well off and you have an interest in your field. Problems arise when you get into massive debt because of school.
>>
>>7949962
Here is this stupid opinion again. Graduate school comes with tuition waivers and stipends. Nobody goes into debt for grad school, and you shouldn't try to discuss things that you don't know anything about.
>>
Its not worth it anymore. A good B.S. student (work ethic, high GPA, etc...) is worth as much money in the industry as a PhD. The only reason stats say PhDs make more is because all of the B.S. shitters who probably shouldn't have graduated to begin with pulling the average down.
>>
>>7949966
Having debt from undergrad and not being able to pay it off because you're only making 20k as a TA is very real though
>>
>>7950836
This is one of the prime reasons to do grad school, though. If you continue to exist as a student in the US, you can defer your loan repayments within reason.
>>
>>7949978
Some B.S. students are even worth more than Ph.Ds desu.
>>
>>7949773
i have no idea what, exactly, its good for. i just know as an engineer its the best ROI you can get. its like an instant 30k$ a year more and you can move into upper management. masters + your PE is how you style on niggas in engineering.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.