[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ceres Bright Spots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: CeKwBREUYAA47vp.jpg (78 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
CeKwBREUYAA47vp.jpg
78 KB, 600x564
At long last we have finally got a closer-up image of the infamous bright spots.

>Pic related is low res.
High res image for more detail here:
http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20350.jpg

>Link to twitter announcement
https://twitter.com/NASA_Dawn/status/712325228148318208
>>
File: 3a0.gif (277 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
3a0.gif
277 KB, 250x250
>>
>>7949579
Looks like a big ice comet went splat. Either that or they shopped out the alien base.
>>
The full sized photo is fucking magnificent.
>>
>>7949612
>they shopped out the alien base.
That could explain why it took so long for some reason.

Check out dat detail in the centre.
>>
>>7949660
>Check out dat detail in the centre.

That is one heck of a round dome. Interesting.
>>
File: OccatorLAMOShortExposure.jpg (699 KB, 2147x1280) Image search: [Google]
OccatorLAMOShortExposure.jpg
699 KB, 2147x1280
Shorter exposure of Occator. Lots of albedo variation in the bright areas.
>>
File: OccatorFalseColorOverlay.jpg (210 KB, 1704x868) Image search: [Google]
OccatorFalseColorOverlay.jpg
210 KB, 1704x868
>Lower resolution color data have been overlaid onto a higher resolution view (see PIA20350) of the crater.

>The view was produced by combining the highest resolution images of Occator obtained in February 2016 (at image scales of 35 meters, or 115 feet, per pixel) with color images obtained in September 2015 (at image scales of 135 meters, or about 440 feet, per pixel). The three images used to produce the color were taken using spectral filters centered at 438, 550 and 965 nanometers (the latter being slightly beyond the range of human vision, in the near-infrared).
>>
>>7949612

>Looks like a big ice comet went splat

I agree this or a salt comet maybe, if something like that exists.
>>
>>7949647
>The full sized photo is fucking magnificent.

~16 megabytes too... too big for 4chan, but here's a direct link:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20350.jpg
>>
Mmmm looks salty
>>
Looks like someone had to dump their shipment of cocaine in a hurry.
>>
>>7949853
Confirmed NASA covering up Tony Montana's new lair.
>>
>>7949785
>didnt even read the OP
>>
Any words on how large the bright areas are? Looks pretty massive
>>
>>7949767
>salt comet
Why not a pepper comet ?
>>
>>7950057
alien cumshot
>>
File: 1458669946880.jpg (395 KB, 1248x851) Image search: [Google]
1458669946880.jpg
395 KB, 1248x851
>>7950122
we have to move fast and haverst all that cum spice before house harkonnen will spy out.
>>
Obviously NASA saw that /sci/ thread a few days ago from anon who was convinced there was a "cover up" because they hadn't released images yet.
>>
>>7950442
Was thinking the same thing
>>
>>7950442
>>7950806
-NASA sends probe to some rock and takes pictures(in it self pretty damn impressive)
>lulz omg what crappy pixels do better NASA muh tax dollars at work whaaaaah
-Probe starts gathering spectral data, gas analysis, whatever
>NASA WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??? YOU HIDE ALIEN BASE IN PIXELS???
-Scientists spend months, even years going over data, making theories about oberservations and so on. Come to conclusion, release findings
>No aliens? Hah, Never A Straight Answer, my cat told me you would do this. Also, the earth is flat and rockets dont work in a vacuum.
>>
>>7951170
> hide hd pics of occator for over 7 months
> blur out the glowing parts before releasing pics
> people still want the real stuff
> photoshop some retarded space cum over alien artifacts
> hah, this will do the trick
nice try with the damage control NASA
>>
>>7950442
>>7950806
>>7951170
I find it a bit entertaining that all the "Never A Straight Answer"/NASA HOAX"-people never seem to be able to reference a single time where they have been caught lying about findings/research (not including covering up management fuck-ups like Apollo 1 and Challenger)
It always comes down to
>"I saw a youtube clip "
>"this guy with a Masters in Architecture knows more about radiation that people like Van Allen"
>"I dont believe/understand physics, so how can rockets work in space LALALALALALALALA"
>"My demented uncle used to work for Boeing. He told me about the lizard people"
>>
>>7949579

Clearly a comet crash (bright as ice, center of a crater, etc) but with a twist.

In a metallic asteroid impact, the core can remain as a single piece and be found in the center. But if it is a comet, the ice would spread fucking everywhere.

My 2 cents is that:
a) Ceres was softer when the impact happened.
b) The comet was huge and most of it remains under the surface, as an iceberg.
>>
>>7951185
>But if it is a comet, the ice would spread fucking everywhere.
You make it sound like a mess
Like if I spilled milk on the floor
>>
>>7951170
>>7951184
In defence to the rocket deniers, newton's third law is taught quite badly in school. It confused me for years.
>>
>>7951433
Probably because they seperate the three laws. Its like teaching groups one axiom at a time.
>>
>>7951364

Consider what happen to comets just by contact with solar wind (their tail is a mess). And impact would vaporize them.
>>
>>7951433
>>7951471
That is a good point, and I can completely understand how something that someone dont understand physics. Hell, i'm doing a Master in Mech. Ing and I still go "wtf" from time to time. But you have people who, when confronted with say, Newtons third law, go "nanananan keep your government propaganda away from me" and just walk away triumphantly. I had a guy in my class the first year who refused to believe in radiation calculations from the Apollo project because, and I quote:
>all the books are written by the Man, and I dont believe in them
for some reason he dropped out when we started doing basic Thermodynamics
>>
>>7951498
Some people just want to feel special by having different opinions even if they are clearly wrong. You see it here on 4chan even, everyone here says jews, blacks and women are responsible for all the world's evils and when presented with evidence otherwise they start screaming that there is some big worldwide SJW conspiracy suppressing the truth.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.