[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly, how do I study chemistry and become better at it? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 592x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 592x600
Honestly, how do I study chemistry and become better at it? I
>>
(Chair+Book) x Studying = Learning
>>
>>7949166
cmon...
>>
>>7949178

What do you want? For someone to tell you the "secret"?

There is no secret. It's hard work. It requires effort.
>>
>>7949187
relax im just asking whatsa good technique to get it stuck in ya membrane
>>
>>7949207
depends on how you learn best man
google would be way more helpful dude
>>
>>7949150
Stop having a shitty memory and comprehension.
>>
>>7949150
>Honestly, how do I study chemistry and become better at it? I
Here's some practice.

How can I crystallise the sugar in a can of coke with kitchen ingredients.

I want to show the kid how much sugar is in his drink in a tangible and accessible way.

It's too stable for just suspending a string in it isn't it?
>>
>>7949353
Filter, then get rid of the solvent by boiling it out.
It's not gonna be too accurate, but close enough.

>inb4 coal filters are not a kitchen ingredient
>>
memorize all
>>
>>7949358
>inb4 coal filters are not a kitchen ingredient
Funnily enough, I have a carbon filter because I'm in China, you don't drink unfiltered or unboiled water here. It's not really accessible though, it's built into the water filter under the sink.
>>
>>7949150
honestly what worked best for me was to just solve for units.

Usually the question asks for units or if you know the units then it's not too hard to solve for if you're doing gen chem or gen physics/ calc physics.
>>
>>7950447
>being on 4chan
>in china

Please tell me your secrets. I thought chinese people couldn't get on 4chan.
>>
>>7950464
>Please tell me your secrets. I thought chinese people couldn't get on 4chan.
4chan isn't blocked but the google captcha is (because it's hosted by a google domain).

Therefore, you use a 4chan pass and don't need the captcha or a VPN so that it works. VPNs are sometimes b& on 4chan though so that makes things interesting.
>>
>>7949150
Try to understand concepts instead of memorization. This is especially important in Organic.

Work plenty of problems. If your in Chem 1/2 you should be able to use the math to prove concepts to yourself and vice versa. For example if you're trying to figure out the KA constant of a strong acid/strong base reaction and you get a small number, you'll know you did your math wrong since the reaction essentially goes to completion.
>>
>>7949207
Well, I can't quite give you an exact formula to follow. But once I had to take a chemistry class called "Chemistry for Engineers". Now, this class was somewhat infamous for being extremely difficult. The reason why, is it was essentially two classes shoved into one semester, and there was a whooping 5 exams with one final.

I was terrified at the notion of taking it, and when it got around to needing to take it, I studied my ass off. At the end of it, I got an A and was actually surprised how easy the class actually was.

All I did was do all the homework in earnest, and if I did look up a solution, I tried my best to understand what was going on - rather than just copy the work shown. I reviewed the material covered, usually by looking at the book - with the notes being more as a reminder of what we covered. When it came to formulas, I would memorize them by copying them down by hand. And I would review problem solving concepts by looking at examples in the book.

Now I don't think I'm some sort of genius. It was a level 1000 course, though I think it should have been at least 2000 level. But I had to put in a lot of effort anyways.

The same thing happened later. There was a class called Dynamics, and that was a real pain in my ass. It felt hard, I had to study hard, and I - to my own surprise - made an A.

You'll normally find that you'll get your due reward. Right now I'm nearing the end of my degree program, and my grades could be better. The classes aren't particularly harder, the subjects are pretty easy to understand. But I didn't put nearly enough time and got Bs instead of As. I think you'll find the same thing happening to you. Hard work and diligent practice will reward you. Sloth and laziness will damn you to retake a course.
>>
File: iq.gif (38 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
iq.gif
38 KB, 500x455
If you are black then you have no chance, otherwise take the initiative.
>>
>>7950576
>implying that you're not measuring the average result of mass education (where it even exists)
gb2/pol/
>>
>>7950556
I'm taking Chem for Engineers right now and if I'm not mistaken, isn't it basically just a dumbed down version of Chem 101?
>>
>>7950576
I'm black as night and make straight A's.

Explain that!
>>
>>7950537
>If your in Chem 1/2 you should be able to use the math to prove concepts to yourself and vice versa.
What kind of math do you need to be profeicient in to do the Chem 1/2? Just algebra?
>>
>>7950697
>What kind of math do you need to be profeicient in to do the Chem 1/2? Just algebra?
A bit of calculus too probably.
>>
>>7950647
Outliers.
>>
>>7950697
Calculus is used in some of the derivations but since it's a freshmen level course most professors don't require you to know anything beyond algebra.
>>
>>7950645

No, it's a version where the subjects of the material expand horizontally rather than vertically
They try to teach you about pretty much everything but without diving too deep into anything

It's not complex but you have to study daily and not cram everything 'till 3 days before the exam, there are lots of fundamentals to memorize
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.