[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with Lung Cancer? It's the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 600x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 600x387
So what's the deal with Lung Cancer? It's the most common type of cancer worldwide and yet people insist its primarily caused by smoking. With so many people these days not taking up cigarettes and the lung cancer rate still high, why is it still so common? Was there another primary cause all along?
>>
>>7948344
probably because of all the shitty air in this wrld.
>>
>>7948344
Has to be troll thread.
The specific type seen in smokers occurs over 99% of the time in smokers. You know there is more than one type of lung cancer, right?
>>
Vehicle exhaust is known to be carcinogenic, as is most other smoke like fireplace and industrial. Smog over your city? Enjoy your cancer.
>>
File: 1453550240818.jpg (9 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
1453550240818.jpg
9 KB, 259x195
Whats with cigerette companies adding shit to tobacco?

It should be supermarket fresh rolled with a biodegradable, safe to burn filter.

They would get more customers, and wouldnt have to kill be for profit.

Also, homegrown should be legal.
This is ridiculous corruption at work.
>>
Lungs have a high chance of being a secondary tumor site so shit is mixed up
>>
File: 1452486631534.jpg (126 KB, 960x714) Image search: [Google]
1452486631534.jpg
126 KB, 960x714
>>7948507
I swear.

If someone makes a factory to do this, and then flash freeze the product, they could have 2 farms where tobacco grows well and ship this product worldwide.
>>
>>7948507
You're thinking of American Spirits, and they will still give you cancer, youngfag dipshit.
>>
>>7948344
>Was there another primary cause all along?
Yes, nuclear fallout. If only there were some way to coat the lung with some sort of inner lining that could reject radioactive particles.
>>
>>7948562
> company to clearly disclose that its organic tobacco is "no safer or healthier" than other tobacco products.

I'll be damned.

What about nicotine extract?
Disposable vaporizers?

Still cancer?
>>
>>7948583
Any time you breathe in something other than air, you have a chance of getting lung cancer. Actually, breathing in air will do it too (oxygen radicals). But nicotine extract will not. Vapes still can though, despite what people say about them ("it's just water vapor!"). They contain tons of chemicals that make them have a flavor and about 2 of them are actually okay to put in your lungs (water and oxygen).
>>
>>7948562
No, he's thinking of safer tobacco. American Spirits lied about putting chemical shit into their cigarettes.

Japanese cigarettes are significantly safer apparently due to charcoal filters.

>they will still give you cancer

I wish people stopped buying into this meme. Smoking rarely gives people cancer when you look at the whole population. Do you see any young or middle aged people carrying oxygen tanks?
>>
Weed/thc is safer than tobacco
>>
>>7949659
>cancer happens the moment you smoke a cig
>>
>>7949659
>he seriously believes that smoking over a long period of time won't give him cancer

How fucking stupid can you be.
>>
>>7948583
>breath in 100s of different chemicals
>all with reported in SDS with different effects on the human body which can be easily found online or in any work place
>woah man this shit doesn't give you cancer or harm your body in anyway it's just water!
>>
>>7949710
>>7949696
Since its "smoking over a long period of time" and not "smoking" then people should just quit in their forties and they'll be fine. Most smoking related diseases happen to older people anyway.
>>
>>7948578
You mean like mucus?
>>
>>7949713
The studies on this should start rolling in soon
>>
>>7949710
Nice adhom.
Liked your args +1
>>
>lung cancer
>particulate matter in air
this is not a difficult concept
>>
>>7949738
Smoking can create a lining. The conspiracy theory is that the nuclear fallout is the real cause of lung cancer, not smoking.
>>
>>7949737
Yeah in theory this would be fine. The main hitch that you're forgetting is that both tobacco and habits that you carry for decades are addictive.

I personally really liked it, but stopped because I have sinus issues and couldn't stop coughing.
>>
>>7948344
>With so many people these days not taking up cigarettes and the lung cancer rate still high, why is it still so common?
It will take about 20 years before the effects of an increase or decrease in cancer rates is seen following a change in the amount of tobacco smoked.
>>
>>7948344
>. With so many people these days not taking up cigarettes
You have to smoke 20-40-60 pack years before cancer eats your anus so youth not smoking today won't put a dent in the cancer statistics of their dying parents.
>>
>>7950067
Young people who never smoked are noticeably getting cancer though, particularly lung cancer. It's probably from car pollution.

Something just tells me that the cancer risk from smoking was really overexagerrated.
>>
>>7950084
>Young people who never smoked are noticeably getting cancer though
>>
>>7948583
Some study found vapes cause more damage than tobacco, albeit a different kind of damage.
Another said they still do considerable damage, but less than smoking.
I don't know where I read this.
>>
>>7950227
Well I still vape.
I probably won't buy another when the filter runs out thought. They're no replacement for a good ciggie and a chat with the lads.
>>
>>7949997
>The main hitch that you're forgetting is that both tobacco and habits that you carry for decades are addictive.

Well then they could just cut back considerably once they hit a certain number of pack-years, or switch to a vaporizer, then it wouldn't be a health issue.
>>
File: no lungs, no lung cancer.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
no lungs, no lung cancer.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>7950890
holy shit this guy right here just solved all our tobacco related health system isssues and expenses

YOU JUST HAVE TO QUIT SMOKING IN YOUR FORTIES
IT'S THAT EASY

10/10
better patent this mastermind idea before someone else does
>>
>>7950915
>YOU JUST HAVE TO QUIT SMOKING IN YOUR FORTIES
>IT'S THAT EASY

I get that you're joking, but tons of people have shown that they are capable of doing it earlier than that. It would probably save a ton of people from smoking related illnesses (which practically nobody gets when they're young anyway).
>>
>>7948344
Rates are going down in the West you mongoloid.
>>7948583
Just don't smoke man, it's not hard and yous ave money.
>>
FUCKING CHEMTRAILS THATS WHY
>>
File: resp_s18.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
resp_s18.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>7949737
Because chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and emphysema are just a meme, with no cure, where your lung tissue is literally stripped away and will never grow back.

> yfw you hit 40 and you have lungs made of swiss cheese.

> yfw when you realize you'll never have the healthy lungs and physical capabilities you could have had if you weren't so retarded and didn't try to rationalize a chemical addition, you fucking junky.
>>
>>7953404
Name the number of people at that age who actually develop those diseases and maybe it can be considered a problem. Most smokers don't seem to have those diseases or have reached their forties/fifties/sixties and are still fine.
>>
>>7948583

the people who claim "it's just water vapor" are retarded.
>>
>>7953898
Despite this it's still a mostly harmless activity. There is almost zero downside to it and it doesn't do anything negative to your health.

Most of the """"statistics""""" and """""studies""""""" about how bad it is for you are full of shit.
>>
>>7948344
>With so many people these days not taking up cigarettes and the lung cancer rate still high, why is it still so common?

Lung cancer rates trail a couple decades behind smoking rates. Lung cancer is declining, but there are still lots if people who scored when they were young who will get it over the next 20 years.
>>
File: 1431075605076.gif (546 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1431075605076.gif
546 KB, 200x150
>have fourteen aunts and uncles on my paternal side and four on my maternal side, all roughly the same age
>only one out of all of them smokes
>he's currently in the hospital with lung cancer
Who saw that coming
>>
>>7953903
Why would the studies be false ?
>>
File: 1455239833725.gif (858 KB, 325x318) Image search: [Google]
1455239833725.gif
858 KB, 325x318
>>7953958
>only two people on both sides of my family smoke
>one is dead at 81 from pneumonia
>the other is mid-50s and has an awful recurring cough
>everybody else is fine
i wish it wasn't my dad tho, i get a pit in my stomach every time he keels over
>>
>>7953963
Tons of studies over exaggerate or fail to rule out other factors, and suffer from confirmation bias.
>>
>>7955298
So basically, that's why you would prefer to stay uninformed about the science and theories behind something being potentially fatal to your limited existence.

...Because something might be wrong...
>>
>>7948578
How John Wayne died, on the set of The Conqueror. In fact most of the cast went down to lung cancer, shot in the Nevada test range on windy days. Also, one of the worst movies ever made. Karma.

>Smoker
>Still waiting for teh cancer and a ticket off this dirtball
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.