[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay. So. Someone was trying to argue with me that we NEED philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: FB_IMG_1458517800347.jpg (26 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458517800347.jpg
26 KB, 526x526
Okay. So. Someone was trying to argue with me that we NEED philosophy and owe all of science to philosophers. People whoften sat around and pondered existence and the universe. And of course that was useful back then but with modern technology and knowledge what use do we even have for it? We don't need to figure out "why we're here" to study evolution. I think modern philosophy is really stupid and it's just a bunch of people arguing and not getting anywhere. I don't think we need philosophy today tor progress our scientific knowledge TO A POINT WHERE we'd credit philosophy. Obviously we use logical thinking and what not, but was the moon landing thanks to philosophy or our awesome human minds being able to create what washe once the unthinkable. Also how does philosophy differ from science? I feel like philosophy just is over concerned with very trivial shit that we will NEVER BE able to prove
>>
>>7948291
You say modern philosophy is stupid and then ask how it differs from science? You don't know the first thing about philosophy then. Your opinions on what it is, and its value are absolutely worthless.

More importantly, this is a math & sci board. Philosophy is only slightly related, and you whining about an argument is absolutely not related. Fuck off.
>>
Fantasic response. A true intellectual. I'm asking how philosophy different from science, what use (related to science) do we need for science, not as in ethics but say to study a species evolution. Where do they become separate.
>>
File: f.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
f.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>7948296
>this extreme butthurt

philosophy major detected, how's that neet life going?
>>
>>7948291
It's really quite simple. Science is the result and process of thousands of years of human intellectual endeavour, observing the world around them, coming up with a variety of explanations for observed phenomena, and then testing those explanations, with each step furthering the sum of human knowledge and understanding and allowing us to shape the world to our needs, and invent loli and fleshlights.

Whereas philosophy is a load of old wank.
>>
>>7949148
STEM major here, he's right.
Don't argue that something's stupid if you only know very little about it, and go to fucking /his/ if you want to talk philosophy.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.