[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people still believe ADHD is largely real? >One in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8
File: adhd.png (146 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
adhd.png
146 KB, 800x400
Why do people still believe ADHD is largely real?

>One in five American boys receives a diagnosis [for ADHD] by age 17.
>The authors suggest that when schools are under pressure to produce high test scores, they become motivated, consciously or unconsciously, to encourage ADHD diagnoses—either because the drugs allow low-performing children to score better or because ADHD diagnoses can be used to exclude children from testing. They didn't see comparable increases in places where the law kept school personnel from recommending ADHD medication to parents.

>“In 2001, No Child Left Behind put the whole country on notice that districts are accountable for scores,” Dr. Hinshaw notes. “But if you go back two decades earlier, in the early 1980s, some states got on the consequential assessment bandwagon earlier or the high school exam bandwagon earlier.”

>What the team found is that in states that enacted these measures early, within a couple of years rates of ADHD diagnoses started going up, especially for kids near the poverty line.

>This isn’t surprising as the diagnosis helps the school comply in several different ways, Dr. Hinshaw notes. If kids who are struggling with ADHD get treated, it should improve their functioning in school and hence their test scores. But it’s also the case he adds, that in many jurisdictions, if you get an ADHD diagnosis your test scores don’t count.

etc. etc.
>>
>>7948196

It's easier to just drug someone up.

I had a roommate that had terrible anxiety/attention/stress shit. She just didn't know how to deal with problems. She was awful at taking advice/criticism no matter how constructive it was.

At some point, I just started making sure she took her pills. It was honestly just easier than trying to address the actual problem.
>>
Society is moving in a direction that requires more and more people to be heavily trained in rigorous, boring tasks. Naturally we don't have enough people to fill these roles, so we're creating more with drugs.

This is the human race taking control of its own evolution. Either get on board or step out of the way.
>>
>>7948196
statistical support for heritability of ADHD from gene variants between children and general population:
http://www.nature.com/tp/journal/v5/n2/abs/tp20155a.html
>>
>>7948209
Anxiety and depression can be caused by hormonal imbalances, and that's quantitatively backed with empirical data. Any /sci/ user should not by into this "just chill out brah u dont need pills" pop mentality. No matter how much you want to you cannot over come chemical shortcomings on your brain by sheer force of will.
>>
>>7948227
All that proves is that a similar [at the genetic level] group of people get diagnosed with ADHD consistently.
That's a far sight from proving it real.
>>
>>7948227
Also how does it explain the fact that younger kids in the classroom are more likely to get diagnosed ADHD? Do younger people have different genes?
>>
File: biglobby.jpg (213 KB, 800x722) Image search: [Google]
biglobby.jpg
213 KB, 800x722
>>7948225
True, it's completely unnatural for young people to be couped up at a desk inside all day, everyday. Supply and demand world.
>Chemical lobotomies
>Evolution
Nature works in mysterious ways
>>
>>7948276
>Also how does it explain the fact that younger kids in the classroom are more likely to get diagnosed ADHD? Do younger people have different genes?
And, did people with ADHD genes suddenly move to states that started punishing schools/teachers for having dumb students?
>>
>>7948271
Define real. It offers support for the validity of the "disorder" or behavioral trend as something with a biological basis and not just all in the kids' heads.
>>7948276
Correlation does not imply causation. The younger kids who get diagnosed ADHD may be having a rougher time compared to their peers because of developmental delays and neurological abnormalities made worse by the age gap
>>
>>7948302
>Define real. It offers support for the validity of the "disorder" or behavioral trend as something with a biological basis and not just all in the kids' heads.
By real I meant a real disease. Based on the evidence it seems like we're just drugging shit students so they're not as shit, and lying about it claiming it's an illness that needs treatment because in our current legal framework, that's the only way to get away with it.
>>
>>7948332
That's a stretch to claim it is just a fabrication within American education and culture to boost funding when prevalence between US and Europe is very similar. Data is available globally which would contradict the idea that ADHD is only an American cultural phenomenon. ADHD doesn't just affect school performance too, but a wider array including social cognition.
http://www.adhd-institute.com/burden-of-adhd/epidemiology/
>>
>>7948347
So, when I look at my wife's 5th grade class of 30 children and see that fully one third of the kids have an ADHD diagnosis and are on medications to treat it, what am I supposed to conclude? It doesn't appear to be an anomaly as the same is true for all of the other classrooms for this grade level at the same school. Is there really an epidemic of ADHD in America, or is this more likely a result of bad/irresponsible parenting coupled with pressure from a school system that is no longer allowed to discipline children for fear of hurting their delicate little feelings? I contend that it is the latter. If a third of a population has a "disorder", is it really a "disorder" or a characteristic of the population?
>>
File: 1382640611255.jpg (57 KB, 576x418) Image search: [Google]
1382640611255.jpg
57 KB, 576x418
>>7948366
>Tries to sound smart about epidemiology
>Uses anecdotal evidence with small sample sizes
>>
>>7948366
False positives are possible. But, it is very important to decouple the responsibility of parenting and American education funding pressure from the scientific evidence and statistical support for a illness that does occur globally. I doubt European schools have the same standardized education pressure as American with No Child Left Behind history etc. US and Europe have almost the same prevalence of ADHD for the total population as given by meta analysis of studies in both locations.

It does not follow that the whole disorder is bullshit from offering anecdotal support for just your wife's class and that particular school's grade level. Increase the sample size to offer evidence for that claim or I don't buy it anon.

The studies I have seen convince me that a) ADHD is a global phenomenon b) not just caused by American education funding fiasco and shitty parents and c) scientific and statistical support for ADHD prevalence exists.

Therefore, I am inclined to acknowledge that ADHD could very well exist and at least be open to the chance for more research into it to understand the biological mechanisms.
>>
>>7948397
The CDC has published 2013 data which states that 11% of all children ages 4 - 17 in the U.S. are diagnosed with ADHD. Sure sounds like a population characteristic to me. I wonder how many pills are being sold to the families of these children each year?
>>
>>7948366
>If a third of a population has a "disorder", is it really a "disorder" or a characteristic of the population?
This
It would be more plausible if it were an infectious disease or from some universal environmental contaminant but I don't buy that 20+ percent of a given population would have a heritable disease.

>>7948397
It seems odd to claim that global ADHD rates are consistent with the US's given even within the US there is extreme variance in incidence among the states, upwards of 100%. If I'm remembering correctly the south is where rates are the highest. How does genetic disease theory explain these extreme discrepancies?
>>
>>7948196
>people
Do people believe that or does your imagine of the average person believe that? Note that the two are never identical.
>>
>>7948225
>This is the human race taking control of its own evolution.

Natural selection doesn't work like that.
>>
>>7948484

The most recent statistics from CDC claims the adhd prevalence as 7.8% for all children. The 11% was for boys only on this site.
Source:
Source: http://www.statisticbrain.com/attention-deficit-disorder-adhd-statistics/
This total value of 7.8% is similar to the estimated 7% prevalence in Spain for children with ADHD.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3534011/

>>7948489
Correlation of higher altitude and higher blood level of dopamine as a possible explanation
http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/news/20150417/higher-altitude-states-have-fewer-kids-with-adhd-study-reveals
>>
Source: http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

Doesn't say a fucking word about "boys only".
>>
>>7948510
It does if your species happens to be primarily defined by its social traits, like you might find in any primate family.
>>
>>7948196

Because it is real. However, it is most often wrongly diagnosed medical condition.

I don't know how these things work in outside of Europe. But I think biggest problem is the parents and the people in general, who just beg drugs by making up all kind of symptoms and overstating things to get what they feel that they need. Overruling the highly trained doctors. Thinking those magical pills make their life easy and pleasurable experience without side effects. Like the pills would remove all the shit from their lives.

Doctors are servants who's job is to help people make informant choices regarding their own health. In other words your own health is your own responsibility. You want to fuck it up, there you go, take a pill. You say you have these symptoms, there is no medical reason for doctor not to give you the medicine.

Modern parent:
What is said: Our son used to be so nice and now he has trouble focusing on his school assignments.
What is meant: Our son is wild, fix him!
What they think: My life is not as pleasurable as I want it to be.
>>
>>7948662
>there is no medical reason for doctor not to give you the medicine.
Yes there is; the first precept of medicine is do no harm.
>>
>>7948196

My ADHD diagnose completely turned my life around. I was stuck in a rut and felt as if I had no future and would never grow up and amount to anything other than a dropout failure.

After getting meds I am currently doing extremely well at university, and I have a PhD lined up where I will work with nerve cells, which will give me an opportunity to give back to the field that literally saved my life.

Fuck you OP, this sort of bullshit scares people away from getting help, which is fucking retarded since ADHD is one of the conditions that are most "curable" with medicine.
>>
>>7949046
Yeah yeah stimulants help normies concentrate and do well at university too
>>
>>7949051

Well "normies" dont need stims to do the most basic of tasks, like having a fucking conversation or sitting still for five minutes.

You might think you're doing people a favor warning them about the jewish pharma conspiracy, but you're not.
>>
>>7949051

Normies don't need stimulants to remember appointments and not lock themselves out of their house on a biweekly basis. I'd trade my stimulants in in a heartbeat if it meant I could get rid of my ADD altogether. I don't even like taking stimulants, they make me feel shitty and on edge all the time.
>>
>>7949063

So much this. I'm on ritalin, and the idea that people would take it for fun is pretty ridiculous for me. There are much more fun drugs out there...

I dunno how adderall is, but I sure as hell wouldnt take concerta if I didnt need it to function.
>>
>>7949075

I probably prefer amphetamine to methylphenidate in terms of how well it does what it's supposed to do, but amphetamines suppress my appetite too much and there aren't any forms like Concerta that legitimately last all day long. I'd love to have OROS amphetamine but what are you gonna do?
>>
>>7949063
>>7949059
You guys seem very emotionally invested in this. For the record I'm not in favour of keeping you guys from your 'meds' and think that even normies should be allowed to take stimulants if they think it improves their lives.

>>7949059
>pharma conspiracy

Like drug companies giving money to patient advocacy groups so they can 'advocate' for them?

>Health advocacy organizations (HAOs) are influential stakeholders in health policy. Although their advocacy tends to closely correspond with the pharmaceutical industry's marketing aims, the financial relationships between HAOs and the pharmaceutical industry have rarely been analyzed.
>We used Eli Lilly and Company's grant registry to examine its grant-giving policies. We also examined HAO Web sites to determine their grant-disclosure patterns. Only 25% of HAOs that received Lilly grants acknowledged Lilly's contributions on their Web sites, and only 10% acknowledged Lilly as a grant event sponsor. No HAO disclosed the exact amount of a Lilly grant.
>As highly trusted organizations, HAOs should disclose all corporate grants, including the purpose and the amount. Absent this disclosure, legislators, regulators, and the public cannot evaluate possible conflicts of interest or biases in HAO advocacy.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3052325/
>>
>>7949083

I'm emotionally invested in it because I dont want people to wait until their lives completely disintegrates before seeking help like I did.

Shit like
>Why do people still believe ADHD is largely real?
pisses me off to no end, and it really makes me wish I could just take the ADHD out of my head and put it into yours so you could experience how fucking real it is.
>>
>>7949089
No you're just making it up
>>
>>7949091

Yeah I should just take a cold shower, drink some herbal tea and snap out of it :^)
>>
>>7949083

It is emotional, ADHD impacts every facet of my everyday life and it's draining being told it isn't real.
>>
>>7949094
>>7949089
I really do feel bad for you guys. Sort of like you feel for those people who swear they're allergic to radio signals.
>>
>>7948196
It's real
There was just a ton of mis-diagnosis due to what you listed above.
Makes me wonder if I truly have it or was one of the mis-diagnosed.
>>
>>7949100

Never mind. No amount of brain damage is gonna convince me that debating this with you will be of any use.
>>
>>7949107
We're in agreement then.

This has led me to an interesting idea though; whether belief in the plausibility of persistent mental illness decreases one's likelihood of spontaneous remission.
>>
>>7949041
Welcome to the real world.
>>
>>7949120

What does it matter, you dont believe in mental illnesses anyways so why theorize about them?
>>
>>7948366
>overdiagnosis means that the condition doesn't exist at all
4chan logic.
>>
>>7949133
As a curiosity I suppose

For your consideration:
>Baars (2001) writes that medical students who study "frightening diseases" for the first time routinely experience vivid delusions of having contracted such diseases, and describes it as a "temporary kind of hypochondria". Baars says that the experience is so common that it has become known as "medical student syndrome".
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 249x250
>This post
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IO6zqIm88s

>tfw this video sent you right back to your grade school days
>>
>>7950173
>that voice
>stupid 20-something year old starbacks women with a phychology degree are now the ones judging which kids lives to destroy with powerful medication

Horrifying. As I age I realize that most people are still the incompetent morons they always were, except now they have a lot more power in their hands.

Also it's unbelievable how few people can see that this little girl's issues are the result of bad parenting.
See how she goes on about "being negative" and "being grumpy"?
That's what her parents accuse her of. She's probably abused or neglected in some way.
>>
>>7950198
That's a lot of assumption you are making. I didn't intend to post the video as proof of anything, just simply a humanist side to things. As someone who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 8, I can relate to most of these things. I never took medication until year 2 of my mathematics undergrad out of necessity, and I don't necessarily believe in giving meds to children unless there is good reason.

>Horrifying. As I age I realize that most people are still the incompetent morons they always were, except now they have a lot more power in their hands.

Well yeah, as you get older you realize that one of the truths in this world is that we really have no clue what we are doing. Even math, which is constantly touted as the purest form of intellect, is founded on assumptions that we take for granted. Each and every one of us makes an assumption when we acquire a new belief or opinion.

You have made the assumption that ADHD is a conjuration of bad people or idiots who simply want to make money or make people productive slaves. I have made the assumption that ADHD is real, that my doctors were right upon diagnosing me with it, and that my meds are the reason why I have succeeded in getting my degree and career.

There is enough evidence, statistical, mechanical, and even emotional to justify both of our beliefs. No matter who wins the argument on this post today has any bearing on the truth of the matter, nor are any of us knowledgeable enough to know what the true answer actually is. I find that my view on this matter has kept me on a good path for a couple years now. I find that my life is fulfilling and I am glad I made the decision to take medication. I hope you are glad wherever your assumptions may lead you.
>>
File: ADHD.png (440 KB, 1190x730) Image search: [Google]
ADHD.png
440 KB, 1190x730
Are there any flaws/improvements to be made to this image on ADHD?
>>
>>7950198
>Horrifying. As I age I realize that most people are still the incompetent morons they always were, except now they have a lot more power in their hands.
completely agree

got type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago and my doctors literally don't know fuck all about it and they're supposed be in charge of my treatment or some shit. no way.

they mismedicate me and shit and when i call them out they just say that they're basing their treatment not on medical literature but on anecdotal evidence shared with their colleagues

and medical doctors are supposed to have high standards. i just don't trust people anymore.
>>
>>7949143
I never said the condition doesn't exist. I believe it is tragically, and perhaps criminally, over-diagnosed.
>>
>>7948196

It is real.

I was put under a rigorous testing process by my parents when I was young by pychiatrists and counselors.

They discovered over time though, many of these symptoms are co mordid with Pervasive delvelopmental delay or Autism spectrum disorder/aspergers.

I was once diagnosed with it, clinically, and I'm sure that it is something that it could be tested for.

However, what you stated is also laregly true. Big Pharma, school districts and parents have an incentive to chemically restrain their children so that its easier to deal with them.
>>
It's real insofar as people's non-compliance.

It's really a way to get people to submit to another's needs/wants/orders. A kid doesn't want to do their math homework and instead wants to focus on their own projects and inner life? ADHD!!11!!1!
>>
>>7948225
Society is moving in a direction in which the labour of most people is not valued because of technical development so we cope with that by inventing more more or less fancy control style jobs to prod and whip the few percent of people who actually can do useful stuff.
>>
>>7950404
Yes. Recreational drugs are illegal. Yet same or even stronger substances are prescribed to kids far younger than would even start experimenting with drugs. But it's ok, because the drugs are sold by smooth talking people in fancy clothes and nice haircuts and they have fancy pant patents too.
>>
>>7949046
This board is on too many memes to be reasoned with on simple stuff like this. ADHD is over diagnosed therefore no one who says they have it actually does. Cause you know, that's how it works.
>>
>>7950832
So basically, child abuse is normal, and 'child molesters' are only jailed because it makes the puppet masters jealous of competition for their power?

Everything is clear now
>>
Regardless of your belief that medication improves your life, any sane individual can see why 'schools' collaborating with doctors to recommend it to parents so kids can be drugged up for better grades without their consent belong in prison.
>>
>>7948225
What an excellent proposition, Mr. Trump
>>
>>7949046
>>7949046
Agreed, I'm in the same position.

This thread reeks of /pol/ tinfoil anyways
>>
I don't see why all these people believe a large proportion of the population having a certain "condition" means that condition cannot be labelled as a "disorder".

Anyway, disregard that.

>If a third of a population has a "disorder", is it really a "disorder" or a characteristic of the population?

Both, probably. Yeah actually, pretty sure it's both.

In any case, how does more people having a condition affect the positives/negatives you perceive in drugging them for it?

If you have a drug that can make you work better (like ADHD) provided you have some minor faults, why not use it?
>>
>>7948196
Jews
>>
>>7950971
>Regardless of your belief that medication improves your life, any sane individual can see why 'schools' collaborating with doctors to recommend it to parents so kids can be drugged up for better grades without their consent belong in prison.
This.
>>
>>7949078
Vyvanse, dog.

ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IT
>>
>>7950974
I take offense to that.
>>
>>7949046
Same position as you mate. How much time I wasted....
>>
File: mfw maddox posts on sci.png (517 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
mfw maddox posts on sci.png
517 KB, 1360x768
>>7948196
>Why do people still believe ADHD is largely real?
BECAUSE!
TIM CHANGZ! PEW
I PEW
M PEW PEW
PEW
C PEW PEW
H PEW
A PEW PEW
N PEW
G PEW PEW
Z! PEW
PEW PEW
>>
>>7953407

TIM CHANGZZZZZZZ pew pew pew pew
>>
File: 1387678979853.jpg (24 KB, 317x330) Image search: [Google]
1387678979853.jpg
24 KB, 317x330
>have difficulty with executive functioning for whole life
>just told lol its a normal thing for teenagers xD
>hated self
>utterly bewildered at how everyone else seems to manage their life so easily
>cannot into basic life management
>drop out of high school
>drop out of university
>drop out of university again
>get diagnosed with ADHD
>take meds
>can suddenly think straight
>can suddenly emotionally regulate
>Now getting >90% scores at university
>Never been happier

Do you have any idea what it's like to spend 3 hours cleaning your room because you keep getting sidetracked?
Do you have any idea what it's like to suddenly realize at the top of a flight of stairs that you have no idea why you went up them?
Do you have any idea what it's like to be utterly exhausted and resentful of yourself because you just can't stick to the simplest plans?
Do you have any idea how disheartening it is to fail over and over and over again while you see your peers excel?

It fucks me off to no end that I've lost so much time because nobody bothered to consider that I might have this condition, given that it's so treatable.
>>
>>7953534

Yeah, well, amphetamines are really effective, druggie.
>>
>>7953534
>Like, you don't get it, I can get so much more done on amphetamine
Said everyone who has ever tried amphetamines. I'm not saying amphetamine isn't great, I'm saying it being great doesn't mean you're ill. It's a genuinely useful drug.
>>
>>7953562

The difference is that I can actually CHOOSE what to focus on.

The disorder is misnamed, there is no 'deficit' of attention, it's the regulation of it that is disordered.
>>
>>7953569
You do know that that class of stimulants helps normies with directed attention, and even memory performance as well right?
>>
File: 1447381629528.jpg (7 KB, 261x192) Image search: [Google]
1447381629528.jpg
7 KB, 261x192
>>7953534
This, medication changed my life. I have stopped telling people that I have ADD because they start saying stuff like "Do you REALLY need meds for that? I am so scatterbrained and I just mediate if I need to focus XD".
>>
>>7948239
I am a living example of this. Don't give in, you CAN achieve your dreams. Row row, fight the power.
>>
>>7953727
>>7953534
But how do you know it's the medication?

You used to (and sometimes still) hear stories along the same like that end with, "...and then I grew out of it" or "...and then I got serious and cracked down" or "...but then it just passed."

ADHD drug trials, like most psychiatric drug trials, show a large placebo effect. The argument for the effectiveness of the drugs is not that they've found a way to explain, predict, and control the placebo effect, but just that the measured effect is larger in the group that got the psychoactive drug with perceptible effects than the group that only got sugar pills but was somehow affected anyway.

Starting to take psychiatric drugs to deal with a behavioral problem tends to coincide with:
- recognizing the problem
- focusing on the problem
- taking determined action to overcome the problem
- expecting to beat the problem
- being given an excuse for having had the problem in the past, and therefore a reason not to wallow in shame over it
- improving to a level of function that enables one to effectively seek, get, and fill a prescription
- beginning to enjoy a level of support from others that enables one to effectively seek, get, and fill a prescription

Is the improvement the effect of the drug, or is the drug just the sacrament of a modern religion, with a largely symbolic function?

>I face my sins and unworthiness. I undertake the ritual. I become a better person.
>I am diagnosed with mental illness. I take the drugs. I become a better person.

Religion used to do for people what psychiatry does now. It's not at all clear that psychiatry is doing a better job. Certainly, the drugs have real, serious physical side-effects, which spiritual purifying rites do not.
>>
>>7948239
>Anxiety and depression can be caused by hormonal imbalances, and that's quantitatively backed with empirical data.
They certainly can be. And when they are, those hormonal imbalances can be detected by objective physical diagnostics, and the conditions are treated by endocrinologists, not psychiatrists.

Whenever a real physical cause is identified, it stops being a case of mental illness, business for psychiatrists, or something to be treated with psychiatric medication.

Psychiatrists specifically deal with subjectively diagnosed "diseases" of the MIND, not physically diagnosable diseases of the BRAIN. A claim that they're "correcting a chemical imbalance" is a quackery, and if a psychiatrist tells you this, you should report them to their professional organization so it can pull their license.

There's nothing more horrible than when a real, physical disease that could have had an effective treatment addressing the root cause ends up getting psychiatric treatment.
>>
>>7953801
Eh I get what you're saying and I agree with it to an extent, but I don't think my case applies. Anxiety is something that could arguably be treated by talking about the problem with someone or coming up with a plan of action to reduce triggers. Giving someone a pill that will "make the anxiety go away" would give them the illusion of control, regardless if it's a placebo or not.

My ADD isn't like that, I have never learnt any coping mechanism like writing down lists, breathing exercises, etc that you could argue I'm just doing because I "think" that the pill cured me. It's always been as simple as take my pill in the morning, and I am in control of my own head.

I know you could make the argument that I can objectively say that the medication is a placebo and so on. I guess that's true, but I have been on Concerta 10+ years so I have known some of it's quirks. I was on triple the dose I am now when I was prescribed it at 13. As I got older, people said I started acting like a zombie, and my psychiatrist agreed so he lowered my dose and I was back to normal. My pills are time release, so when I have tried to cut the pills in half to stretch my supply, they hit me like a ton of bricks in the morning and lose effectiveness in the afternoon. I have accidentally taken two pills in the morning and while I thought I was acting normally, people said I was acting like a zombie. I didn't realize I doubled up until they said this, and counting my pills that evening confirmed it.

Again, I probably can't convince you otherwise but that's evidence enough for me.
>>
>>7953754

Oh good I can post on 4chan all day on a flat earther "science" board - truly a high achiever.
>>
>>7948196
I have been on and off ADHD medicine for the past 5 years. Before i started researching any of these things, I shared this opinion.

I no longer feel this way.

https://youtu.be/SCAGc-rkIfo

this video is THREE HOURS. But it's well worth it.

Biggest takeaway is that ADHD isn't an attention deficit, it's a lack of executive and impulse control.
>>
>>7953980
>Giving someone a pill that will "make the anxiety go away" would give them the illusion of control, regardless if it's a placebo or not.
>My ADD isn't like that
...and yet there ARE strong placebo effects found in ADD drug trials.

"I took it and it worked for me." isn't sound reasoning.

>describes various side-effects, overdose symptoms, and withdrawal symptoms as evidence of effectiveness
Withdrawal symptoms in particular can be extremely misleading. One of the best predictors of a psychiatric drug being a market success is if its withdrawal symptoms look like the target condition, for instance, if you give happy people antidepressants for a while, then you take them away, they become depressed, or you dose normal, organized, productive people with amphetamines until they get used to them, then you take them away, they become muddled and unable to focus.

>I was prescribed it at 13
>I have been on Concerta 10+ years
Holy shit. You struggled to focus on your dull junior highschool studies in the midst of puberty, and you think this is evidence that you needed drugs?

You're an adult in your mid-20s with no experience of unmedicated life!

Pretty much everyone, at some point between 10 and 20 years old spends at least a couple of years being completely fucking nuts in some way. Some kids get mopey, some are violent criminals, some are delusional, and most grow out of it. Their brains are growing, their hormones are surging, they're coming to an end of casually playing as this kind of adult and that, and starting to figure out what kind of adult they will actually be in the real world.

But yeah, you go right on ahead and assume that because you started taking drugs at the time of your life that you were undergoing the fastest natural mental changes, the results are all due to the drugs.
>>
ADHD is probably a real thing, but is hugely over-diagnosed in North America. I'm English, and worked at a children's camp in Canada last summer. The amount of boys there on ADHD medication was actually really sad. Healthy happy boys acting exactly the same way as I had at their age, go off to take their meds every morning, and return as dulled-out versions of themselves.

>>7948239
As far as I'm aware, depression is not so much caused by hormonal imbalances - rather hormonal balances are indicative of depression. Relapse rates are much higher following a course of pharmaceuticals compared to psychotherapy, and the reason behind this is that a purely pharmaceutical treatment does nothing to tackle any underlying psychological problems. However, psychotherapy is relatively costly and time-consuming, whereas pharmacotherapy is very easy to prescribe.
>>
>>7954038

I coasted into college on test grades in spite of never doing homework and then I nearly failed out at the end of freshman year and then got medicated and now I'm about to graduate with honors.
>>
>>7948196
Alright fine I read your blurb.

People don't believe it's real, they don't care if it's real or not. Your blurb literally argues that people only start to "believe" in ADHD because their "subconscious" mind wants to get the population to do better on standardized tests. Literally, the behavior that you describe as "believe ADHD" is a side-effect of people's perception of the social performance of their children. In populations that had a different notion of social performance, the behavior disappeared.

It feels like I'm writing the summary for you. This is the job of the original researchers.
>>
>>7954578
>what are the side effects?
The side effects are the same as most drugs of the general stimulant class.

>why not give everyone adhd medication then?
Well legally we can't give class A's to people unless they're really really sick. Wanting to score better on tests apparently isn't good enough so you need ADHD.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.