[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do nervous systems use slow, chemically mediated pulses of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Why do nervous systems use slow, chemically mediated pulses of voltage change rather than fast electric currents along wires?
>>
Because you cant fucking evolve wires you retard
>>
>>7946797
kek
>>
>>7946797
Why not?
>>
>>7946796
I don't think you know what you're talking about, which is probably why you made this thread, I guess.

There are two kinds of neuronal synapses in the human body: Chemical synapses and electrical synapses.

Chemical synapses function by the release of neurotransmitters by the presynaptic neuron, which is converted (transduced) into an electrical signal in the postsynaptic neuron.

In electrical synapses, the pre- and postsynaptic neurons are directly connected to each other by what are called gap junctions; their cytosols are literally in contact with each other. This means that they basically function like electrical cables.

Now, of course the initiating factor of a signaling cascade is going to be mechanical/chemical, but the same holds true for electrical signals in cables: Show me electricity running through a cable that's initiated with electricity (please apply the principle of charity here, fucking retards [this will save me many replies to pedantic morons]) and not other means, e.g. mechanical, and I will cut off my balls and use them as personal anal beads.
>>
>>7946848
The electrical signals in the brain still move slower than those in a copper wire. I'm not sure if that's what the OP was trying to say, but, you know, still helpful information. A copper brain would be nice.
>>
>>7946797
Aren't our nerves organic wires?
>>
>>7946856
You need more than wires to make it work. Neurons have thresholds of excitation over which they fire. A brain is really more complicated than a fucking computer or an electric circuit. Not to mention the fucking heat losses everything would probably flow from your nostrils if the wires are as thin as that and we'd have to live in water tanks or something to avoid turning into flames.
>>
>>7946884
Wasn't trying to imply any of that, but ok. Sorry to upset you, friend.
>>
>>7946796
Because we've never had access to mains power until recently. It's like asking why didn't we evolve a VGA port so we can stream digital video into our head.
>>
>>7946912
females still have vagina ports so we can stream dna into their womb, close enough
>>
>>7946912
Also energy. The brain's fairly energy efficient, running on ~20watts and it's still a power hungry cunt of an organ at that level.
>>
>>7946848
I did not know that there are two kinds of synapses. I thought all of them where chemical :O!
But it makes sense. Electrical synapses for fast signaling, chemical synapses for amplifiable signalling.
>>
Tldr chemical impulses allow for adaptability. Neural impulses along the axon are quick, using "electricity" but at the end of that road lies a chemical messenger. That chemical messenger influences the outcome of the reaction. A mix of quick and slow
>>
>>7947021
>Electrical synapses for fast signaling, chemical synapses for amplifiable signalling.

Hmm, 62 points. Whereas electrical synapses are a bit faster due to not having to release neurotransmitters and wait for them to cause an action potential in the postsynaptic neuron (PSN), I wouldn't say that chemical synapses allow for any sort of amplification. In both chemical and electrical synapses, there either is an action potential or there isn't, meaning that it's basically a digital system.

The main difference between the synapse types is that an electrical synapse will always cause an action potential in the PSN, whereas a chemical synapse allows for there not to be an action potential in the PSN, either by the PSN simply not reaching threshold voltage, or by causing re- or hyperpolarization of the PSN (like hitting the brakes on a car).
>>
>>7946856
A copper brain? You mean the cell membranes of the neurons being made of copper lipids?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.