[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you think, /sci/? This is something I think about a lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: What are animals.jpg (46 KB, 552x832) Image search: [Google]
What are animals.jpg
46 KB, 552x832
How do you think, /sci/?

This is something I think about a lot because I have ADD and seem to think differently from most people. When I try to describe how I think to someone I usually frame it in terms of making really rapid connections between ideas and jumping all over the place. If I'm working through a physics problem, instead of approaching it from a single angle and delving deeply into the problem from there, I tend to go more for a shotgun approach to problem solving and try a bunch of different things until my train of thought leads me somewhere useful. I don't want to say it's an "intuitive" style of thinking/learning, but it's more like I trust my mind to wander all over the place if that makes sense?

I dunno. I consider my ADD a blessing and a curse, but one of the best parts for me is how it allows me to make so many connections between disparate ideas. Can anyone relate to that or does it sound sort of alien to you?
>>
>>7945521
i'm so disinterested in everything in life please god help me
>>
>>7945521
The sooner you realize you're just a garden variety human being, the better off you will be. Self indulgence is not a positive trait.
>>
>>7945542
no im special
>>
>>7945542

I possess consciousness from my own perspective and that makes me wholly unique to myself, and self indulgence is wonderful because it's a precursor for passion.
>>
>>7945542
>>7945550

Anyway I'm not trying to argue that my thought process is in and of itself unique, but rather I'm trying to understand the differences between non/ADHD thought processes.
>>
I would post but I'm so confident nobody really cares to hear me explain how I live with ADHD I'm just going to write this instead.
>>
>>7945594

I care! I love ADD people!
>>
>>7945594
I-I care senpai
>>
>>7945596
>Writes long post about living with ADHD
>(You) haha I didn't care at all faggot have fun wasting your time.

>Prediction: (You) No I swear I'm genuinely interested on the story.

>Me: Tells story
>You: Haha got you again faggot

I guess this post alone shows ADHD branching and anxiety patterns.
>>
>>7945611
i think like this all the time
can I get free meth too
>>
>>7945611

If you're too anxious to share then that's okay too. I get a lot of anxiety stemming from forgetfulness, like missing deadlines or being late for appointments because I put my keys down for five seconds and take 15 minutes to find them. I also don't call people faggots, I think it's a nasty word.
>>
>>7945550
Oh sorry I didn't know you already knew everything. Please, carry on with your thread.
>>
>>7945627

Where did I say that? I think you're misconstruing what I'm talking about here.
>>
>>7945521
Nah I'm really glad I don't have ADD, I learn and absorb a lot of information just from reading books or listening to lectures. If I didn't have the ability to sit and read a boring textbook or analyse a technical manual I'd probably be changing batteries and oil filters at the Wal-Mart automotive bay instead of making 110k/yr at my job at the powerplant.

I literally tested out of several years of schooling because I was NEET for 10 months and bought textbooks and read them for hours, would re-read them on end between periods of sleeping, practical testing (dissembling shit from thrift stores and junk yards, causal welding in my front yard, ect) and getting drunk as fuck and growing a hobo beard because I lived alone and did'nt have a job.
>>
>>7945633
Well you immediately dismissed my response, without consideration or discussion. So.. you got it then, I guess.
>>
>>7945663

I honestly do like ADHD as part of my personality but it makes living in modern society incredibly difficult and stressful. Like if there was some sort of alternative society that didn't revolve around punctuality and long term planning I'd be all over that shit in a heartbeat.

I can't even read books but I love reading stuff on the internet because it's so easy to switch gears, like just click a different tab and away you go.
>>
>>7945670
I'd think a hippie commune or survivalist community. They certainly don't demand much from you or care much about punctuality or planning (unless you want to be involved in the planning) I actually lived and traveled with the 'Rainbow People' for a while and it's a good place to drop out of society so long as you have a few bucks to chip in, have a working vehicle or know how to make a vehicle work and are not a worthless drain on the system.

IT might be kinda boring if you need endless stimulation though. Fun is mostly getting drunk talking to hippies and doing whatever projects you set out for yourself.
>>
>>7945667

I wasn't trying to be dismissive, I was just offering my counterargument. If you want to discuss self indulgence as a trait further I'd be open to it.

>>7945702

Yeah, it's tough. I lived in a student cooperative for a while about a year ago and it was actually kinda shitty, I got bullied for not being able to keep up with my chores and they were all the evil type A kind of hippies. I don't even want to drop off the grid, I just want to find a way I can coexist with society at large in a way that my ADD helps me or is at least accommodated for.
>>
>>7945714
Society at large, ADD works well with jobs like waiter/waitress, security guard and short-order cook, unfortunately they don't really pay well.

But you know better than I do.
>>
>>7945724

I'll figure something out eventually. Im a student at heart and I like academia in principle but I don't think I'll want to go to grad school for physics or maybe even any STEM field even though I could totally get into a decent one. Of course there's practically no job market for the field I actually care about most and /sci/ would troll me into the dust if I said what it was so I'll just keep that one to myself.
>>
what?

math]\color{red}{\textsf{(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)}}[/math]
>>
>>7945521
several years ago there was a picture like this, except the names were clever and humorous. I dont remember any, but something like Land Cloud, for sheep. Instead of floofleshoop or whatever bullshit

now there are hundreds, and they all have obnoxious names. flopwop? why is that funny?
>>
Niggers

[math]\color{red}{\textsf{(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)}}[/math]
>>
>>7945744

I mostly just laughed at special doggo and slippery tube dude but I'm easily entertained so whatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 640x1136
>>7945741
>>
>>7945748
guys, this guy wasn't really banned

i can tell by the font and color
>>
>>7945753
Retard, look one post up >>7945751
>>
>>7945756
>baited
kek
>>
>>7945542
>>7945667
Common passerby here.
You know what's up. Last night I was drunk hanging with friends I haven't seen in a while and as much as I hate self indulgence, I am guilty of doing so last night. I'm a hard working, sacrificing, pragmatic utilitarian and most of my friends are complacent complainers. Everyone is guilty of self indulgence occasionally and I classify it as being synonymous with complaining...nothing proactive happens by complaining or self indulging. BUT it's healthy to put what you believe to be meaningful life experiences into perspective with other peoples'. Whether it be in your mind or a verbal exchange with friends, acquaintances, strangers, you're simply justifying your actions.

TL;Dr No self aware person cares what you think like they're friend or family. Get off your sloth ass and do something instead of pondering your life away.
>>
>>7945759

I'm doing homework rn actually. I'm actually an honors physics student so I'm doing decently in that regard!
>>
>>7945764
Honestly glad to hear, keep up the hard work. I'm doing paperwork for an internship that starts at the end of the month. Side note, I identify with exhibiting ADD tendencies and can still express that I am a hard working person who is passionate about their interests to people of power. They respect me for this even if I'm not intellectually equivalent to them. It's the difference between being 'smart' and not doing anything about it and being 'not as smart' and working your ass off to get what you want.
>>
>>7945790

I dunno, I'm not driven to succeed in the same ways you are I don't think. I basically got into physics to impress my dad and I did well because I'm conventionally smart and did well on tests even when I slacked on homework. I mean, I'm catching up on an entire semester's worth of homework right now so uhhh...
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.