[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1457112349003.jpg (23 KB, 398x600) Image search: [Google]
1457112349003.jpg
23 KB, 398x600
anyone else starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the direction technology is taking society?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmajJTcpNk
>>
this is old news
>>
If you weren't already uncomfortable with technology in principle, consider reading a bit of Marx.
>>
I'm okay with this. I don't really see an issue.
>>
>>7945482
Man luddites are so paranoid.
>>
>>7945482
No. Technology is humanity's only saving grace
>>
>>7945482

Ted Kaczynski or.the Unabomber Goes into the perils of technology in his manifesto.
>>
>>7945482
You know what actually I feel like people who make stuff like that are wasting their time.

Think about it, it's not easy to achieve that, but at the end of the day what is it good for? Making videos where Trump says "I'm a stoopid doo doo head poop poop poop"?

The result isn't super convincing and no it's not gonna get improved to a degree where you can't tell the real from the fake apart. It's just one of those things that you can kind of do but never perfectly do. So why bother?

It's like they couldn't think of something less useless to spend their efforts and shekels on. baka desu senpaitachi
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 300x250
>>7945482
>>
>>7945482
OP, if you're going to worry about modern technology, you might want to start with atomic weapons, not real-time cgi.

Besides, the traditional Luddite approach is to bemoan how dependent we become on whatever technology you want to vilify: "Kids today don't learn to kill their own food because McDonalds!"
>>
>>7946726
>but at the end of the day what is it good for?

endless applications, from VR to translation (think about movies when they get translated in other languages: there's always this uncanny thing of sound and lips movements not in sinc)

>The result isn't super convincing and no it's not gonna get improved to a degree where you can't tell the real from the fake apart. It's just one of those things that you can kind of do but never perfectly do.

ugh...what?
>>
>>7946748

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
>>
>>7946748
>>7946933

Some people's expertise here is so far from anything anyone would call practical that all they can do is to try and diminish other's to feel good about themselves.
>>
>>7946748
VR?? And no, a live-action movie would look even more shitty with that stupid morphing thing it does, it looks fake, always will. In markets where movies are always dubbed they're used to how it's like, it's totally fine for them, no one wants to watch some shittily morphed faces for two hours.

That's the point, it has no worthy applications, it's even more useless than speech recognition. Go ahead and tell me that speech recognition has endless applications, I double-dare you motherfucker!

People who make those things have zero plans of doing anything with what they're making, their end goal is "yeah I made that, pretty neat huh?", and you know I'm right. They don't even know why they're doing it. Waste of time.

This is what plagues "innovation" like that these days, people make shit they don't even have a practical use for themselves, it's like they just want to make cool magic-like shit happen.
>>
>>7946955
I don't really know how to respond to you, you're taking very very wrong examples to "prove your point" (is there even a point...?)

Also even if not practical scientific discoveries are good because more knowledge into the world is good, period
>>
>>7946955
You grasping motherfucker, you wouldn't know innovation if it hit you right in your ugly face, innovations creep, slowly, standing on the shoulders of hundreds of small "useless" innovations, or a subset in these innovations.

You're an ignorant fool, good thing you came to this thread so I could school you.
>>
>>7946726
Fag
>>7946955
Thanks

Also, thanks OP. I will practice making exaggerated gestures that are hard to replicate so nobody can impersonate me.
>>
>>7945482
Moderate worry is always warranted because history isn't a linear progression from 'bad times' to 'good times'. Right now I wonder how stressful it will be to live in a society where everyone is a walking camera/microphone that is always recording and transmitting the data to non-accountable parties. And the socioeconomical consequences of increased property surveillance like the 'internet of things'.

Like, as exaggerated as it sounds, what if in the future you cannot enter a neighborhood without a good credit score and your dystopian tracking bug that acts as your digital wallet and ID will automatically fine you and alert the cops if you disobey.
>>
>>7946991
Fuck I meant
>>7946748
not
>>7946955
Who is still a fag.
>>
>>7946992
wew lad.
Milgram experiments
All technology is a means to an end, that end is control. The story of mankind. So glad I have no kids.
>>
>>7945496
fat landwhales of reddit united we eat pizza xdddd
>>
>>7946998
We get it, anon. You just came from reddit and you're familiar with their culture. Now stop telling us about how new you are.
>>
>>7945482
saw this on leddit like 5 days ago, you are behind times
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.