[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's only 1,400 light years away
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Kepler-452b_artist_concept.jpg (2 MB, 4534x2550) Image search: [Google]
Kepler-452b_artist_concept.jpg
2 MB, 4534x2550
>it's only 1,400 light years away
>>
>>7945477
let the normies do their thing. it doesn't affect you.
>>
>>7945477
>tfw you will never walk on the soil that covers kepler 452-b
>tfw you will never be able to hike the mountains of kepler 452-b
>tfw you will never be able to swim in the great lakes of kepler-452b
>tfw you will never be forced to lose weight so your bone structure can support you in the higher gravity
feels bad man
>>
>>7945503
The same thing could be said about Earth by a person on kepler-452b. Personally I'd rather be here than there.
>>
File: 1433705554509.jpg (43 KB, 210x202) Image search: [Google]
1433705554509.jpg
43 KB, 210x202
>>7945477
>only 1,400 light years

That means you would have to travel continuously at 670million miles an hour for 1,400 years to get there
>>
>>7945530
>not knowing what time dilation is
i'd feel like a second to you but when you arrive, your entire family has died
>>
>>7945530
muh warpdrives
>>
>>7945539
It would probably feel longer than a second
>>
>>7945559
depends on the velocity
>>
>>7945480
>it doesn't affect you.
an attempt was made
>>
>>7945539
Bring your family with you you dumb nigger.
I don't get all this sudden realization by /sci/
>"zomg there's other worlds out there just like earth!"
Like this was super obvious ever since Copernicus worked out planets orbit stars.
>>
>>7945737
Wouldn't it be kind of strange even if you brought your family with you? Find out after you get there and the communication waves catch up with you that your entire country doesn't even exist anymore and the technology you used to get there is now over 1,000 years outdated if civilization even still exists.
>>
>>7945893
Well if the planet we get to is better I won't care, I don't know anyone on Earth but my family, why should I give a shit about Earth?
>>
File: HGYR30R.jpg (35 KB, 648x567) Image search: [Google]
HGYR30R.jpg
35 KB, 648x567
>>7945580
>depends on the velocity
No, it depends on the acceleration.
http://convertalot.com/relativistic_star_ship_calculator.html
At 1g, your journey would only reach a top speed of 0.9999990445384758c, and thus take 14 years (ship time).
Even with a constant acceleration of a MILLION g's, ship time is still over 20 minutes.
Even a BILLION g's won't quite satisfy your "one second" fantasy.
(FYI somewhere around 100,00 g's the calculator lists "maximum kinetic energy" as "Infinity megajoules per kilogram".
So good luck with that.
>>
>>7945539
This is wrong, not sure if bait.
It would feel like 1400 years to you but far longer for your family.
>>
>>7945737
They actually used to have a theory that the sun used to be larger, and a near-collision with another star tore part of the sun away into a solar filament. That filament, formed out of gases from the sun, then condensed into our solar system. Obviously, this would mean that solar systems like our own would be relatively rare.

Fucking stupid, but they didn't have all the info yet.
>>
>>7945893
You'd never be able to really communicate back to Earth once you were there.

Unless, does having FTL travel imply that FTL communication has already been achieved?
>>
>>7946028
I suppose we would probably have FTL communication if we had FTL travel, but I was kind of assuming they would send updates to the planet in a way that's similar to how space stuff communicate with earth today. They wouldn't get any of the information until after they reached the planet, then the history of earth would come waving in over time.
>>
File: Disgust.png (86 KB, 200x325) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.png
86 KB, 200x325
>>7945477
>popsci obsession with "super earths"

If you saw it from 1,400 light years away, Venus would look like an awesome candidate for colonization...in the "goldilocks zone", just a touch smaller than us, perfect parent star...
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.