[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw >mathematicians spend time proving mathematics works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>mfw
>mathematicians spend time proving mathematics works on paper
>engineers spend time proving mathematics works by building the society and infrastructure, which consequently allows mathematicians to spend time proving mathematics on paper
>>
File: 1455069493757.jpg (347 KB, 487x536) Image search: [Google]
1455069493757.jpg
347 KB, 487x536
> to an engineer, infinity equals 1
How fucking more off could you be?
>>
>>7945084
Actually, you pleb, from a mathematical standpoint, that statement is almost correct.

infinity equals -infinity is not almost correct, but literally anything else is.
>>
File: b89.jpg (19 KB, 543x403) Image search: [Google]
b89.jpg
19 KB, 543x403
>>7945090
>it's ok to be almost right! you did your best!

are engineers really this cucktacular? you approximate everything and ignore the discrepancies that physicists and mathematicians have to fan out for you. case in point? look at ductility decrease in steel when temperature dropped in liberty boats. they couldn't figure out how to stop those fractures because their knowledge of materials and physics was so "hurr it's almost correct" tier that they fucking caused boats to sink before they left the harbor. you need to be more strict with your shit when it comes to things like that man.
>>
>>7945079
>engineers slave away for pennies on the dollar from big jewcorps
>mathematicians get NEETbux to do comfy proofs at a cozy university
>>
>>7945229
>implying engineers don't make more than mathematicians on average
>implying most mathematicians actually have jobs where they get to be mathematicians

Not necessarily agreeing with OP but you're pretty retarded if you believe a math degree is worth anywhere close to an engineering degree
>>
>>7945229
>slave

I don't think you understand what that word means...

I also don't think you realize just how miserable and vicious academia is, it's an extremely far cry from "cozy".
>>
>>7945079
Engineers don't prove mathematics, they use it.

And guess what, a lot of engineering research is actually carried out by applied mathematicians.

A few months ago there was an undergrad math major here telling us that he was working part time at his university with a group of other students and professors proving various things about a method that an engineering company had developed but in their staff of engineers had no one capable of taking what they had and take it further.

That is also why a good job for math PhDs outside (or even inside) academia is in consultancy.

So no, engineers don't prove anything and that is why the highest paid people in engineering are math PhDs. However, not everyone can be a consultant while engineering jobs are much more common.
>>
>>7945287
can you be a consultant if you took an academic pathway of Engineering Physics into a PhD in Physics? it sounds like my cup of tea next to R&D.
>>
>>7945295
Those jobs always list BEng and BSc as minimum requirements. So you should be able to get in there.
>>
>>7945079
Chemists make the drugs to help you go kill yourself (in the building designed by the engineers that used maths developed by the mathematicians).
>>
>>7945287
>So no, engineers don't prove anything and that is why the highest paid people in engineering are math PhDs.

patently fucking false. the highest paid people in engineering are engineers with a PE who run their own shop.
>>
>>7945441
Well, that is true but they are also involved in the business.

That is like saying that the highest paid workers in [industry] is the CEO so obviously the best degree is having a rich dad! Checkmate atheists!
>>
>>7945084
to a mathematician infinity = -12
>>
File: frampt.jpg (135 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
frampt.jpg
135 KB, 500x486
>>7945090
> almost correct
The engineer's term for "wrong"
>>
>Be engineer graduating in Spring
>None of my job offers are nearly 300k starting

At least I have the personality to climb the ranks through management unlike your average cucklord mathematics major
>>
>>7945527
where can i find the second bell of awakening
>>
>>7945223
I see you've never worked with problems where there is no analytical solution.
>>
>>7945551
>7945551
>>7945545
>>7945079
>>
>>7945240
Mathematicians and physicists can work on wall Street, mate. I am fairly certain engineer fags aren't making 200-300k yearly while having fun modeling shit. Go back to working 10 hours daily on CAD for 100k mid career, brainlet.
>>
>>7945629

Like you're even making 30k, neet.
>>
>>7945469
[math]- \frac{1}{12}[/math] actually. Nice try.
>>
>>7945079
RESPECT YOUR MATHEMATICIAN OVERLORDS
>>
>>7945427
Inorganic chemists show no mercy if you want to die painfully.
>>
>>7945636
It's okay, engie lad, I heard some economists are gay. If you work hard on it, maybe you'll get a sugar daddy to give you a taste of money.
>>
>>7945645

My parents are millionaires, money is inconsequential to me.

Nice try, NEET.
>>
File: solaire.jpg (254 KB, 1280x612) Image search: [Google]
solaire.jpg
254 KB, 1280x612
>>7945545
If you have already rung the first bell, you have two options.

First, if you have the master key, you're in luck. Go down below firelink through that elevator to new londo. As soon as you leave the elevator building, turn right and enter the building with another spiral staircase. Unlock the door with master key, and now you are in the valley of the drakes. Go across the rickety planks over the bottomless chasm and enter the cave with the 3 club wielding things. Take the ladders all the way down to the bottom of blighttown, and sleep at the bonfire in the tunnel thats close to the big rotating drum elevator things and the opposite direction of the big spider mound. Your second bell is in that big spider mound thing behind a boss.

If you don't have the master key, like I didn't on my first play through, you're in for a ride.
Go through the lower undead burg, kill the capra demon, go through the depths, kill the gaping dragon, get the key, unlock blight town, and then slog through blight town to the very bottom.
>>
>>7945661
thanks, I didn't actually expect a reply
thankfully I have the master key
>>
>>7945638
>infinity = -1/12
>1/infinity = 12/-1
>0 = -12
checkmate, mathfags
>>
At this point, almost all of the math used in engineering has already been solved. E.g. 75% of engineering falls under Calculus.
>>
>>7945712
>almost all of the math used in engineering has already been solved.

he says this like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>7945712
99% of aerodynamics is still black magic as far as our theories are concerned.
>>
>>7945742

Really?
>>
>>7945685
[eqn]
\infty = - \frac{1}{12} \\
\frac{ \infty }{ \infty } = \frac{ - \frac{1}{12} }{ \infty } \\
\infty = \left( -12 \right) \cdot \frac{1}{ \infty } \\
\infty = \infty
[/eqn] Q.E.D. :^)
>>
>>7945749
Well yeah, we brute force it on computers to get any serious work done. What's really funny about this board is that you all think that science has everything cut and dried into neat closed form expressions. For basic examples yeah you can solve Navier stokes analytically but real aerodynamics work it's sometimes numerical approximations but mostly experiment because the theory can't model turbulence for shit.
>>
>>7945661
i mean holy shit thanks <3
>>
>>7945761

I ain't getting on no plane
>>
>>7945712
No, it's that the math that's simple to comprehend is more likely being used.

If e.g. there were a simple theory of non-linear integro-differential equations, then the models could be more complicated and not every code would solve some Taylor'esque approximation to a problem.
>>
>>7945223
That sort of thing happens when given unreasonable deadlines all the time. Manager:"Engineer me this thing. I'll be back in an hour."
Engineer:"Okay, I'll have a rough ETA by then"
Manager:"I mean I need it in an hour"
....later
Manager:"Okay thanks. This is going to get us back on schedule"
Engineer:"That doodle? It's meaningless. I need at least two days."

And he sends my rough fit to the machine shop

16 people later die in an unrelated train explosion.

The new whatever it is fails whimperingly but is used anyways.

And this is what it's like to engineer for the US government.
>>
>>7945287
Basically this. Nothing really surprising or unfair since studying engineering is easier than math.
>>
>>7945079
>engineers
>proving anything

>>7945090
>from a mathematical standpoint
>almost correct
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.