[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rearranging Equation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4
File: r and theta.png (10 KB, 475x248) Image search: [Google]
r and theta.png
10 KB, 475x248
I have an equation for finding a value of x in terms of theta.

That's fine. But now I have some value x and need to find theta. Algebra looked tricky so I stuck it into Wolfram.

I don't understand why Wolfram has included a new 'n' term and what I should be doing with it.
>>
File: npi.jpg (246 KB, 1078x808) Image search: [Google]
npi.jpg
246 KB, 1078x808
>>7944779

I remember seeing n*pi being substituted in some differential equation solutions but I don't know if it's the same thing.

Regardless, what am I meant to do with the 'n' in my new equation for theta? Just set it to 1?
>>
n just allows it to be periodic, so long as n is an integer.
>>
File: 2016-03-20_14h51_46.png (35 KB, 648x714) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20_14h51_46.png
35 KB, 648x714
>>7944779

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=rearrange+x+%3D+r{[cos%28theta%29+%2B+q]+-+[%281%2F2q%29*sin%28theta%29^2]}+in+terms+of+theta
>>
>>7944786

With x I was working "forward" to get a solution for something. I got my solution and didn't need n.

Now coming back to find theta, how do I deal with the n? Set it to 1?
>>
>>7944779

I'm working in the range of 0 - 180ยบ

I set n to 1 and solved for theta.

However the answer Excel gives me is outside of that range so I think I need to do something but I don't know what I'm doing -

>Thinking out loud
Something about trig functions and quadrants... I don't think it's "root" because that implies crossing the x-axis. When the angle of a triangle has two possible solutions you do ............ to find all the possible solutions.
>>
File: 2016-03-20_15h12_32.png (15 KB, 1025x195) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-20_15h12_32.png
15 KB, 1025x195
>>7944830
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.