[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /sci/, how do you effectively take notes from a science or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
hey /sci/, how do you effectively take notes from a science or math textbook?
what are some tips/advice you can offer?
>>
take notes
it's effecvtive note taking tactic
>>
>>7943848
This sounds really dumb and corny but do greentext. No, you read that, I am not kidding. Works every time.
>>
>>7943848
rewrite the book
when something is unclear, rewrite it into something clear
do all the exercises
>>
>>7943892
rewrite the fucking book?
>>
>>7943892
you think my 80 page notebook can fit my 2000 page textbook?
>>
>>7943919
You're not going to go through the entire textbook, and it would be stupid to try.
>>
>>7943919

Get more notebooks. Rewrite the book, but summarise it and keep it succinct.
>>
>>7943848
>having to take notes
how's it feel to have inferior memory abilities
>>
>>7943936
I agree. The way I learnt best was to draw from multiple sources (textbooks, lecture notes, articles, the internet, etc.) and compile them into my own textbook.

Everyone has different ways, but by using my method, I ensured I had all axioms and incidental information in one place, and it was written best for my interpretation (molded by multiple interpretations of others) ~ like the averaging of definitions.
>>
File: CI3btv-UwAE6C1K.jpg (11 KB, 393x380) Image search: [Google]
CI3btv-UwAE6C1K.jpg
11 KB, 393x380
>>7943946
you study without taking notes?
that's some rain tier autism lol
>>
>>7944020
isn't it best to keep simple? when i write everything from the textbook, i just get irrelevant information like facts that are just a waste of space
>>
I get a free note taker because of the Americans with Disabilities Act lel
>>
>>7944418
I hope he was being figurative

I only rewrite theorems, definitions and the like. I make sure I can get through every step without too much handwaving and then LaTeX them for future reference.
Im up to like 50 pages of LaTeX (it goes fast), and 3 journals of rough ideas (I make lots of mistakes) for about 300 pages of actual book
>>
>>7944415
Not him, but throughout college I rarely took notes; the most I did was create a list of topics, or a crib sheet if that was allowed.

I don't think it's that uncommon.
>>
>>7943891
can you post a page of your notes?

clearly greentext is an incredibly effective method of communication but i remain skeptical about it as a way to make worthwhile notes
>>
>>7943946

Nice meme, but mathematicians millions of times more successful than you took notes (and takes notes) and plenty of them.

How does it feel using an inferior study method for the sake of spouting ''I'm so smart'' memes on /sci/?
>>
>>7943848
Just take a notebook and write.
>>
>>7943848
Summarise shit and if something links back to stuff I've learnt earlier, write how, ideally in a way that will jog my memory if I look back at my notes

Use colour sparingly, it makes you feel like you're doing somethingcif you highlight everything but you're diluting the power
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.