[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else feel like the human race is doomed, /sci/? >mfw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Sad Frog.jpg (9 KB, 251x245) Image search: [Google]
Sad Frog.jpg
9 KB, 251x245
Anyone else feel like the human race is doomed, /sci/?

>mfw all this constant fighting, warring, and bickering

>mfw no significant advances in space exploration

>mfw we will have probably nuked each other or destroyed each other with some other type of super weapon before we even manage to discover FTL travel and legit methods of space colonization

>mfw even if we don't nuke each other, some other random mass extinction event will occur like a wandering star traveling too close to the solar system causing a 40x increase in comets traveling into the inner solar system possibly hitting earth, an asteroid hitting earth, a supernova from a nearby star causing a gamma ray burst that completely fucks our biosphere, or our planets orbits become completely fucked over a long period of time causing a chance of a planet-to-planet impact

>mfw the Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy will collide causing the possible ejection of the solar system from the resulting clusterfuck

>mfw a billion years from now solar luminosity will have increased by 10% causing runaway evaporation of the Earth's oceans

>mfw the Sun eventually becomes a red giant causing Earth to become an even worse version of Venus with surface temperatures up to 2,130 °C and and an ocean of magma

>mfw the Earth will more than likely get engulfed by the Sun's expansion

>mfw from 100 trillion years to 10 duodecillion years from now star formations will cease

>mfw the Universe becomes a cold and empty void

Just end it all, /sci/. We're all going to die, anyway.
>>
>>7943483
Pfft, maybe you will. Not me though
>>
>>7943483
How is this a science/math thread OP?
>>
>>7943483
don't worry anon. trump will build a wall between the sun and the earth that will shield us from oblivion.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (11 KB, 237x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
11 KB, 237x300
>>7943494

No one is truly immortal.

>>7943499

Sure, some of it reeks of /r9k/ but I brought up legitimate concerns about the future of the human race that science has yet to answer.

>>7943541

MEGA: Make Earth great again
>>
>>7943483
>doomed
500 years ago we didn't even know about any of the shit you just listed. Imagine another 500, much less the millions and billions of years you're talking about.

Quit being a drama queen
>>
>>7943595

>Quit being a drama queen

But...but...

>muh children
>>
Maybe we'll've found a way as to form our own black holes by then; transferring stars through spacetime-wormholes, with telescopes knowing exactly how to reach them. I mean maybe, OP. There's still a few billion years.
>>
>>7943483
>>mfw all this constant fighting, warring, and bickering
Compared to what?
You see what you want to see, Anon.
At present, the common man is far more insulated from war than we've been throughout history.

>>7943483
>>mfw no significant advances in space exploration
Again: compared to what?
We're doing a LOT better than the dolphins.

>>7943483
>probably nuked each other or destroyed each other with some other type of super weapon
Unlikely.

>before we even manage to discover FTL travel
Also very unlikely. There probably IS no FTL.

...I can't be bothered to read the rest of your defeatist nonsense.

I will say this tho: I gotta assume you're a man.
Because: ultimately only women (or lack thereof) can drive someone to such extreme despair.

Have you considered going full gay?
>>
File: Large_hardon_collider.jpg (162 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Large_hardon_collider.jpg
162 KB, 750x600
>>7943626

>Serious threats to the future of the human race is defeatist nonsense

>Have you considered going full gay?

Expecting a serious discussion on a Tahitian basket-weaving forum.

Fuck this, I'm out.
>>
>>7943483
I have a solution for you froganon. Just get a decent jaaab, numb yourself with love, booze and entertainment the remainder of the day and you will not have to think about these painful things.
>>
>>7944524
is that the scientist way?
>>
>>7944701
It's very scientific, being proven to work by repeated experiments.
>>
File: 4dA2Hmd.jpg (63 KB, 376x468) Image search: [Google]
4dA2Hmd.jpg
63 KB, 376x468
>>7943641
>>Serious threats to the future of the human race is defeatist nonsense

Nothing lasts forever anon,and yet nothing you listed is a "serious threat" to the human race compared to the inevitability of change itself.
We aren't the same species we were a million years ago, and we can't be the same species a million years from now.
And most of your threats are a billions (or far more) years away,
Sure, the sun will be so hot there won't be liquid water on the Earth's surface in a billion years, but even if our descendants are still around, they won't be homo sapiens sapiens any more.
And FYI: the collision with Andromeda won't be any more disastrous than the 2-3 collisions we're currently in the middle of.
>>
the universe is doomed

and so?
>>
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. -- H.P. Lovecraft
>>
>discover FTL travel
Not much point reading the rest.
>>
>>7943483
>mfw this has been going on for all of human history and we've actually become increasingly more peaceful over time

>mfw space exploration is a gradual process

>mfw you can't "discover FTL travel" because sci-fi isn't reality. The nuke part is pretty valid

>mfw a random mass extinction event is incredibly unlikely to happen before we either colonize space or destroy ourselves/the planet

>mfw it's incredibly unlikely the Solar System will be disturbed by the collision, and Earth will be uninhabitable by then anyway

>mfw you're concerned about what's going to happen in a billion years as if humans/Earth will be around

>mfw literally none of these will have an effect on what happens to the human race except for the possibility of nuking ourselves to death

>mfw you failed to mention climate change, overpopulation, limited resources, and a multitude of other things that can easily end us in the next few decades, while dwelling on future situations where there's no more star formation

>mfw my face is invisible
>>
>>7943483
Yes, the species had a chance before white people were bred out, but it will be back to stone age tier in a few centuries at the current unsustainable breeding rates.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.