[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Entropy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
I understand that entropy is always increasing, but I was wondering about something. Suppose you have some bigass gun, and instead of shooting lasers or particles or guns or slugs, it fires a beam of energy that increases the entropy in the target area to the maximum. What would happen? Would it explode, or would it just sorta crumble away into dust?
Picture vaguely related, I just needed to post something.
>>
>>7943148
tl;dr
nice pic
>>
I consider entropy as chaos - directly related to heat. Higher heat - higher entropy. So really you would be heating up/ increasing chaos random motion - you will approach activation energy for reactions - be it burning or oxidation ... pretty much what a laser does in a way - perhaps another anon has a better answer
>>
A black hole has maximal entropy for the volume of space within the event horizon, so you'd be making a black hole.
>>
>>7943148
Energy would escape, unless you make it to be an isolated system. Like said before, heat is energy in its most unorganized form. If you are quick you can make it melt or burn.
>>
>>7943162
So basically it'd make a black hole at the target? Neat. I'm sure I could handwave it to be temporary or something, don't want your ship's main guns to leave black holes every now, do you?
>>
>>7943198
No it wouldn't. Anon didn't include the fact that the system is not isolated, so energy always escapes.
>>
>>7943205
Yes it would. Energy escaping has nothing to do with a black hole or the concept of maximal entropy.
>>
>>7943148
>entropy is always increasing

Entropy is a constant.

>>7943159
Entropy is the opposite of chaos.
>>
>>7943686
how do you come to the conclusion that entropy is the opposite of chaos?
>>
>>7943765
Not him, but Entropy is not measurable. Entropy is the effect of change. Think of it like acceleration: If you decellerate, you reach 0 and after that, the velocity doesn't change, so your acceleration is 0. But if you accelerate to terminal velocity, you can't go any faster than terminal, so the velocity isn't changing, thus your acceleration is also 0. I quote the move The Incredibles:
If everyone is super, then no one is super.
>>
>>7943923
This is not true. Entropy is the log of the number of system configurations that correspond to the macrostate (defined by a set of thermodynamic variables) of the system. This is easily measurable.
>>
We can conclude that at the 5% level of significance /sci/ does not know about entropy
>>
>>7943945
That does not surprise me
>>
>>7943923
entropy is literally the measure of amount of unorder in the system so it is directly chaos

and as >>7943935

you may have seen
[math] S = K_b*\ln(\omega) [/math]
>>
>>7943985
that [math] \omega [/math] is supposed to be [math] \Omega [/math]
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.