[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are first impressions very significant and used to judge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: My mom is the greatest.png (451 KB, 610x381) Image search: [Google]
My mom is the greatest.png
451 KB, 610x381
Why are first impressions very significant and used to judge someone or something ?
Can't people simply comprehend the basic fact that they simply lived a very tiny and random percentage of a huge experience ?
>>
>>7943116
you have to decide if someone is a threat or not on the spot.

You don't really have time to ask a killer for his childhood memories and his girlfriend.
>>
>>7943127
Do you go out on the street and assume everyone is a killer ?
>>
>>7943161
Not him, but I do.
>>
>>7943169
because you are one. also you probably live in sweden.

cuck.
>>
use shell method, with human complexity as x
>>
>>7943161
I don't know.

But it's a useful skill. Maybe outdated, but it's still in you.

Why direct your violence towards me when I merely provide the explanation you seek? Phallus lover.
>>
>>7943191
what the fuck is that
>>
>>7943169
Because ?
>>
>>7944421
Because this is how I grew up. Surrounded by enemies.
>>
>>7944877
Sounds like bullshit to me
Only the people who have the evil in themselves are prone to search for it in others. You probably are a sick son of a bitch whos looking out for other predators.
>>
File: MHonJMV[1].jpg (52 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
MHonJMV[1].jpg
52 KB, 599x449
>>7943116
> my mom is the greatest.png
>>
>>7944988
so what? look at this beta faggot prey.
>>
>>7943116
>Fuck like rabbits
>Be late for interview
Thanks bitch
>>
>>7945189
lmao
>>
>>7945309
don't badmouth your mommy
>>
>>7943127
This. I've seen the replies and people keep bringing up that you need to be one to feel like this but I disagree.

I have some p bad anxiety and while I hope for the best in life, I'm pretty cautious about everybody. I profile everybody by their actions, body language, the way the wall and talk, etc... To make sure I have a good idea of how they're going to react. This lets me stay on my toes and if I need to i can use this to my advantage in order to coordinate my interactions with them to illicit a specific response.

And it doesn't matter if it's a girl or a guy, black or white. I'm mentally and physically prepared to repel an attack from anybody who approaches me. I don't know why I do it. Occasionally somebody who looks mad or aggravated will walk past me and I can tell from afar. My blood starts moving faster and adrenaline starts going through my body as they walk past and only after a couple footsteps away do I start to feel normal.

But it doesn't bother me. It's pretty instantaneous that it all happens and it doesn't distract from what I'm doing. I can profile these people and stay on guard at the same time as walking with a friend or girlfriend and talking. So it doesn't interfere with my life that much.

Tl;Dr if you don't believe that everybody is a potential threat, even your best friends, even if it's 1% chance, then you need to get out of dream world and reassess your thinking.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>7946911
> if you don't believe that everybody is a potential threat, even your best friends, even if it's 1% chance, then you need to get out of dream world and reassess your thinking.
This isn't the jungle cumkid, calm your tits. There is no tiger waiting in the bushes to attack you and eat your guts. You only have to be on the lookout 100% of the time only if you haven't developed a sense of alertness to possible threats. Living a paranoid life is a curse and would make that life worth shit.
>>
>>7946921
Ah, I see. You're not American.

It's different in America. It -is- a jungle. Assuming that "the majority of black people are good", you have a 50/50 percent of being assaulted by an African american any time you walk by them. They make up 13% of the population and commit over 50% of all murder and over 50% of all crime in the US. Assuming half of them are good, 7% of the population is responsible for the majority of crime.

I by no means live in the ghetto but every day more and more move up and start expanding their crime zones. My grandmother watched as two kids pulled somebody out of their car and beat them HARD for beeping at them because they were Jay walking on a busy ass Street. This would have never happened in my city 5 years ago.

I guess crime has gotten alarmingly high in the last few years maybe my own realization of the safety has caused me to develop paranoia. But it doesn't feel like that. My life doesn't feel like it's changes, only my risk for safety. For instance, I have have a loaded shotgun next to my desk despite living in a pretty good neighborhood.
>>
>>7946927
Well your life circumstances may have pushed you into that mindset but that doesn't apply for most people. That's not even what OP is asking.
Another example would be judging one band or one singer based on the first 15 seconds of a random song of theirs. This is true for most people that they are prone to make a solid judgement about something even though they only experienced a very tiny fraction of it.
>>
>>7944988
>assumes arbitary shit about the behavior of people who had to live in a bad neighbourhood
>has never lived in one himself
sheltered faggot
>>
>>7946927
Nice anecdotes, assumptions, generalizations, and bullshit statistics. Congrats.
>>
>>7947001
All of those statistics are sourceable to the department of health and justice in the united States of America. It's also sourceable by the census statistics.

Good game tho
>>
>>7947006
>All of those statistics are sourceable to the department of health and justice in the united States of America. It's also sourceable by the census statistics.

>you have a 50/50 percent of being assaulted by an African american any time you walk by them.

Orly?
>>
>>7947012
It's even higher than if you don't assume that the majority of blacks are good. Which is most likely false.
>>
I think thats how memory works. The rest of your experiences build up on the very first interaction. And if you didn't like it the first time, your brain will tell you not to bother with it.
>>
>>7943127
Yes, but even after people get to know each other, they use their first impressions to feed into their confirmation bias.

e.g.
>Shelly meets Rob.
>Rob inadvertently makes an off-color joke.
>Shelly decides she hates Rob.
>Her confirmation bias feeds her information about him being a bigot.
>She tells people "I hate Rob. He's such a racist sexist prick."
>Ignoring all the other times he's said/done things that should contradict her first impression.

It happens pretty often. People are fucking dumb.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.