[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why can't teeth heal/regenerate like bones?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: smileee.jpg (29 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
smileee.jpg
29 KB, 500x313
Tell me why can't teeth heal/regenerate like bones?
>>
>>7942886
Because enamel and bone are not the same.
>>
>>7942891
Why don't we got bone?
>>
>>7942886
the enamel may be made of hydroxyapatite like bone, but it doesn't have osteoblasts and osteoclasts like the bones in your body.

Why? Evolution doesn't care about what is the most effective or what is the most efficient. It just has to work. It's why boys have bellybuttons. Why we have 2 kidneys and only need 1 and why we can live without half our liver. We have so many redundant systems and so do the rest of the little creatures on our planet.
>>
>>7942886
Bones are wrapped entirely in live soft tissue. They're maintained and repaired from within and from without, in the same environment where they're grown.

Teeth grow wrapped in flesh, but to be used, they're pushed out so they're only rooted in living flesh. They can't be maintained by the same processes that grow them, except by replacement.
>>
>>7942913
>It's why boys have bellybuttons

what
>>
>>7942980
I think he meant nipples.
>>
When will be get teeth regeneration guise?
>>
File: 33fat.jpg (18 KB, 254x362) Image search: [Google]
33fat.jpg
18 KB, 254x362
>>7942913
>It's why boys have bellybuttons
>>
>>7942913
>We have so many redundant systems and so do the rest of the little creatures on our planet.
>in a thread about why our teeth do not have redundancies
wat
>>
>>7943001
Two different meanings of the word redundant, or rather two different contexts.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 297x212) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 297x212
>>7942999
>>7942980
kek i didn't mean men shouldn't have belly buttons, I meant babies
>>
>>7943001
teeth are redundant systems, you can mash food with your hands. And if you lose one tooth, you have other teeth. You really cant lose all of your teeth.
>>
>>7942886
Because of mesial drift.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (22 KB, 400x401) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
22 KB, 400x401
>>7943072
You'll probably want to think that through one more time anon.
>>
>>7943082
>>7943082
why do we have belly buttons anon?

Because we are connected to our mother in the womb via a cord and an organ. Very inefficient. The cord has to be manually cut which gives us this belly button.

All I'm saying is that belly buttons just work, and in an ideal world we wouldn't have them.

Sort of like how teeth work even though they dont regenerate. It wasnt exactly a leap of logic.
>>
enamel DOES regrow
But keep going to the dentist who will poison you with fluoride, drill holes in your teeth, and scrap them with sharp metal tools

I'm sure it'll work out
>>
>>7943118
Are you serious?
>>
Any way to help teeth stay protected?
>>
>>7943134
He should be, it is the truth.
>>
>>7943624
brush your teeth every day
dont eat sugary foods
dont drink low pH liquids
>>
>>7943654

okay mom i will
>>
>>7942906
bone is a living thing. enamel is quite literally a ceramic coating. if it was active, it wouldnt be very long lasting
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.