[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for some information about mutation rates in human viruses.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 504x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 504x720
Looking for some information about mutation rates in human viruses. I want to ballpark the probability of coding genes being added or altered over time/generations for various genome sizes.

I know very little about genetics and less about viruses, but want to check the feasibility of an idea. Unsure where to start, aside from digging through mountains of research I won't be likely to understand.

Any direction would be appreciated. Ideally just some example statistics and major variables I'm likely to overlook. Thanks
>>
>>7942376
Genetic engineering's fairly new to humanity. Perhaps find a textbook.
>>
>>7942391
It sounds to me like they're looking at this from a more guided evolution standpoint that direct gene splicing.
>>
>than
>>
>>7942395
Oh, coding as an adjective and not a verb. My bad, y'all.
>>
>>7942376
>I know very little about genetics and less about viruses

start reading up, hartwell genetics for example, and a starters microbiology book (microbial genetics jones and bartlett)
>>
>>7942376
>human viruses

No such thing.
>>
OP: Should clarify, my undergrad credits did include some molecular biology, a decade ago.

The nuts and bolts behind viral evolution are fascinating, but for now I'm looking for data with larger sample sizes and lower error rates. Less genetics, more epidemiology. Ideally, a very large genome with a well defined, randomly distributed error rate. If it exists. Doesn't sound like a successful virus
>>7942636
Sorry, assumed this would be understood as viruses that are known to be capable of infecting humans.
>>
Influenza virus- Well characterized and probably the most basic example of mutation

Flaviviruses (West Nile, Dengue, etc.)

Mimivirus- Pretty sure it has the largest genome currently known. I think it infects humans but it's natural host is an amoeba. Might not be fully sequenced.

Rotavirus

For resources you want to use NCBI. There are many tools that would help you. You can search for instructions on how to use a specific tool and how to read data.
>>
>>7943094
Very helpful. Thank you.
>>
>>7943094
Just want to reiterate NCBI is exactly what I was seeking. At the very least, maybe I'll learn enough to ask better questions

Thank you for responding to ignorance and curiosity in the best way possible
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.