[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is topology the only interesting part of analysis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Is topology the only interesting part of analysis?
>>
>>7942227
>topology
>part of analysis
Fucking retard lmao
>>
>>7942227
Measure theory is cool, and so are the more abstract parts of functional and harmonic analysis.
>>
>>7942227
Her topology is pretty interesting
>>
topology is a meme that true wankers feel compelled to talk about

i guess it's the shapes that placate their autism
/shrugs/
>>
>>7942868
I'd like to classify her open sets.
>>
Is Grimes the only interesting female musician?
>>
>>7942868
Nah, too many holes.
>>
>>7942868
Topology without physics is pretty boring desu.
>>
If I know complex analysis, will that help me learn functional analysis?
>>
>>7942902
It is unavoidable when you study C*-algebras but until you get there, I would not say it is that useful
>>
File: atiyah.jpg (56 KB, 709x838) Image search: [Google]
atiyah.jpg
56 KB, 709x838
>>7942227
>topology
>part of analysis

Dear God, I sure hope you're baiting...
>>
>>7942231
Then why is it talked about in Baby Rudin?
>>
no, topology is (for the most part) sheer autism, while analysis is the groundwork of modern mathematics
>>
>>7943171
The irony is that topology comes up in pretty much every branch of modern mathematics.
>>
>>7942231
This. OP confirmed pleb tier.
>>
>>7942890
I've never listened to Grimes but I doubt she is as interesting as Bjork, Kate Bush, Lisa Gerrard, Miharu Koshi, etc.
>>
Is analysis just the study of metric spaces?
>>
>>7943171
Analysis is pure autism and topology is pure autism with applications to modern physics.
>>
>>7943124
dont try to make gotcha questions on topics you don't understand

>>7942227
same
>>
Quality threads come from quality posts. Calling someone an idiot isn't a quality post.
>>
>>7942231
>>7942991
>>7943224
idk about you guys, but the analysis course description at my uni includes ".. and topological concepts". And the topology course requires analysis.

it's not that out of the ordinary to group them together
>>
>>7943216

only in pure math, which is autism at its finest

>>7943378
(You)
>>
Modern analysis is literally AIDS. Tfw I must take a year long grad course on this shit.
>>
>>7943689
I hate to spoil your fun, but analysis is very pure math.
>>
>>7942227
Differentials are kind of shit, y'know, without context.

But feeling out something you're already fascinated with? Fucking sublime
>>
>>7942231
This.

I could understand if you'd said analysis was a part of topology....kind of. Not really but I could see the mistake. The other way around makes no sense.
>>
>>7942231
lmao. He probably just took babby's first real analysis course and thinks that topology of real numbers is all of topology
>>
>>7942893
Topoligically speaking it is not a hole! ;) A hole would be something you could go all the way through and come out the other end. Like a coffee mug ear or a toilet paper roll.

inb4 remind me that i should never offer you a mug of coffee
>>
>>7944538
her tract is a hole topologically going by that def.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.