[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All you hear in undergrad is >DON'T EAT OR DRINK IN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10
File: Alice.png (229 KB, 313x370) Image search: [Google]
Alice.png
229 KB, 313x370
All you hear in undergrad is

>DON'T EAT OR DRINK IN THE LAB

At what level can I have a bottle of water or a cup of tea in the lab? What's wrong with having a snack while I'm babysitting some boring reflux reaction?
>>
because if you get to eat/drink in the lab others will too and its going to snowball into an accident
>>
>>7941653
>actually bringing food or drink into the lab

It's like you're asking to get poisoned. God knows what someone might slip into your drink or what might end up in your drink by accident.

I seriously can't believe there are people as stupid as you on attending university right now.
>>
Are you a flawless, perfect God who never makes a mistake, ever?

No? Then don't eat or drink in a lab. You're going to fuck up one day when you're tired or distracted and spill a drop of toxin into your tea or get a drop of supervirus on your BLT and fucking die
>>
>>7941658
So once I can get a lab to myself?

>>7941663
OK professor nofun.

>>7941667
Well obviously if you're working with sodium azide or Ebola or some crap you'd take extra precautions. But if something is fairly nontoxic I see no problem having a gocup or thermos of tea and eating some donuts after the station is cleaned up and you're waiting for some hours long reaction to complete.
>>
>>7941674
Nigga just walk outside the lab. You can eat and drink as much as your want, just do it outside
>>
>>7941653

No, all you hear in undergrad is

>DON'T SHORT OUT THE FUNCTION GENERATOR
>DON'T SHORT OUT THE POWER SUPPLY
>DON'T PARALLEL THE AMP METER
>DON'T HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN
>>
>>7941677
>having sex in the lab, ever

Don't act like this is something you'll have a chance to do, anon.
>>
A guy just died at my university. spilled water from a drink on some lab equipment and was electrocuted
>>
>>7941674
>doing something with salt solution or other nontoxic substance
>start eating donut
>guy in next table is working with highly toxic substance
>drop gets onto your donut
>fucking die
>>
>>7941684
>working with some substance that toxic in an open lab without everyone in PPE

Yeah ok.
>>
>>7941682
Should have had it in a capped bottle. I don't think OP is talking about anybody having a bowl of soup in in the lab.
>>
>>7941690
>put PPE on your donut
>>
>>7941674
>But if something is fairly nontoxic I see no problem having a gocup or thermos of tea and eating some donuts after the station is cleaned up and you're waiting for some hours long reaction to complete.
If you only do it under the right circumstances and don't fuck up, it should be perfectly safe. The thing is, though, that people DO fuck up, all the time. The strict rule is there as an extra bit of safety margin. History shows it's there for a damn good reason.
>>
>>7941674
>>7941690

It's not about fun. It's that mentality that gets people killed and seriously injured.
It's a pretty certain way to avoid injury by ingestion if you're not ingesting anything where dangerous materials are. It's a simple and easy way to avoid accidents, it's the same attitude on construction sites. Guys try to be cool and bypass safety rules, people leave in an ambulance.
It's a simple and not very troublesome rule to not stuff your dumb fat face for 2 hours. If you still have to ask 'why?' and question the reasoning of safety, just do it and accept the consequences of your action. Wither that will be death, injury, or academic punishment.
Nobody is going to stop you from being stupid, you can do it if you really want to.
>>
>>7941704
It's called closing the lid after you take one out. I don't know what lab you work in where toxic volatile chemicals aren't used under a hood and fumes and poison gasses flow freely around the lab while everyone stands around in gas masks.
>>
Same mentality as wearing seatbelts while driving m8.
Ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Follow the rules or dont. But dont whine when your turkey sammich gets infected with whatever nonsense youre doing
>>
>>7941658
>>7941663
>>7941667
>>7941676
>>7941731
These.
I teach Science labs as an Adjunct. I never let students eat or drink in lab, regardless of what we're doing that week. Take it outside.

>>7941679
>having sex in the lab, ever
This, however, I have done several times with students. It's a risk I'm willing to take.
>>
>>7941758
>This, however, I have done several times with students. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

Sounds fun until you knock over someone's glow in the dark gonorrhea experiment.
>>
File: golden_ratio.jpg (64 KB, 687x627) Image search: [Google]
golden_ratio.jpg
64 KB, 687x627
>>7941663
There used to be a post doc in my lab who would chug his coffee while working, and use reagent-grade glucose to sweeten it

He used to do like 20 kg reactions and shit, truly a cowboy chemist
>>
In my (inorganic chem focused) lab there is a bench (not a lab bench, a regular bench) and a small table by the window where people eat sometimes. There are no clear divisions between there and the working lab area but it has become convention not to go over to that table with chemicals or while wearing your lab coat, etc.
>>
File: Ash_drinking.png (240 KB, 613x266) Image search: [Google]
Ash_drinking.png
240 KB, 613x266
>>7941653

Only androids drink in the lab. You wouldn't happen to be an android, would you?
>>
Let [math]\epsilon > 0[/math].
>>
>>7941653
Unfortunately, what you should also have been hearing was
>WEAR GLOVES WHEN HANDLING CORROSIVES
>DON'T WEAR YOUR LAB COAT IN THE HALLWAYS
>DON'T RAISE THE FUME HOOD SASH ALL THE WAY
>>
>>7941674
Do whatever you fucking want smartass. Nothing will happen today or tomorrow but 30 years from now after thousands of hours you will fuck up.
>>
>>7941677
>dont have sex with qt lolis
boo
>>
Why don't you just start your reaction and walk over to the break room and eat your food and talk shit with the other people and go back to check up on your experiment every once In a while? Works fine for me and everyone else in my lab.
>>
Is it OK to jam out to music in the lab?
>>
>>7942499
probably, unless you're working with unstable explosives or shit like that which could be detonated by the sound
>>
Thanks for reminding me of this OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY

Hope y'all enjoy Pogo; dude's awesome. He takes Disney sounds and mixes them into these psychadelic (badass) beats.
>>
>>7941653
Drink in the break room.
>>
File: sanic.png (13 KB, 1285x124) Image search: [Google]
sanic.png
13 KB, 1285x124
>>7942517
>>
>>7941663
>why cross the road, someone might push you into a car
>>
>>7941653
Our cohort of grad-students and our advisers drink coffee in the lab but we know when some fucked up compounds' vapour is in the air at high concentrations and when vets/fume hoods are malfunctioning etc.

We tell undergrad students not to even when it's fine because fuck them.
>>
When can I start wearing safety glasses instead of dork ass cloudy goggles?

When do I get a lab coat like a real scientist?
>>
>>7942803
when you build a home lab where there are absolutely no rules
>>
>>7941653
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

Read it, you're the kind of guy who would make the first and second incidents happen.

Science Ylyl thread now?
>>
>>7942803
Lab coats are overrated
>>
Complacency kills, fampai
>>
We (TAs) don't care if students drink in the teaching labs since there aren't any research things happening in them, obviously we don't allow it when they have to do stuff with dangerous specimens and chemicals

Its only the research labs that should have strict rules on beverages. Nobody gives a shit if you spill diet coke on your IMViC stuff, it makes for interesting lab reports
>>
>>7942837
You only think that cause you're too fat to fit in one
>>
File: tumblr_mg5y15KyPb1qa3bzoo1_400.gif (997 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg5y15KyPb1qa3bzoo1_400.gif
997 KB, 400x225
>>7942909
>>
File: hNu0Kivt3cs.jpg (60 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
hNu0Kivt3cs.jpg
60 KB, 520x390
>>7942909
this desu senpai
>mfw
>>
>>7942834
Sounds like it would make my life more interesting. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>7941653
>Work in applied physics lab
>Have separate 'office' area with fridge and microwave
>Have OSHA tell us that we need to literally build a wall an add a door in order to properly separate the office from the rest of the lab.

We only have nitric acid and a few other chemicals, and they never leave the hood.

Fucking bullshit, honestly.
>>
>>7942933
>On the day of the accident, Slotin's screwdriver slipped outward a fraction of an inch while he was lowering the top reflector, allowing the reflector to fall into place around the core. Instantly there was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat across Slotin's skin; the core had become supercritical, releasing an intense burst of neutron radiation estimated to have lasted about a half second.[6] Slotin quickly twisted his wrist, flipping the top shell to the floor. The heating of the core and shells stopped the criticality within seconds of its initiation,[13] but Slotin's reaction prevented a recurrence and ended the accident. The position of Slotin's body over the apparatus also shielded the others from much of the neutron radiation, but he received a lethal dose of 1,000 rad (10 Gy) neutron/114 rad (1.14 Gy) gamma in under a second and died nine days later from acute radiation poisoning.

k m8, if you say so.
>>
>>7941653
Food and beverage is an uncontrolled variable.

All these anons going on about poisoning yourself are shortsighed. That's self-correcting behavior. The main reason for not eating or drinking in the lab is, it's sloppy science. Plan your nutrition breaks more effectively. If you're such a hedonist that you just have to bring your tofu smoothie into the lab with you, maybe you should consider an occupation that rewards that sort of behavior. Journalism or professional sports, something along those lines.
>>
>>7942834
Read about the Cecil Kelley Criticality Accident. That one's even worse, and the guy who died isn't even the one who fucked up.

Nuclear chemistry is scary and downright dangerous. I'd work with explosives, organophosphates, fluorine or realky anything else before I touch that shit.
>>
File: breaki-fly.jpg (22 KB, 300x237) Image search: [Google]
breaki-fly.jpg
22 KB, 300x237
>>7941653
Contaminants.
>>
>>7941653
>At what level can I have a bottle of water or a cup of tea in the lab?
Never.

When I did my PhD we used fume cupboards and full protection. Problem was, these things did not work and we never realised until it was rather late. The hows and whys are long stories.

The result, however, is easier: two students sent to hospital with metal poisoning and the rest of the group sent off to medical checkup. Had we also had cups of tea in the lab area without a drinks umbrella (seriously, the chemicals "rained" down from the ceiling) there would most likely have been fatalities.
>>
So if I'm cold is it ok to light a small fire under my bench, as long as I use smokeless fuel?
>>
>>7941653
>>7941653
Why are you hungry anon?
>>
>>7943395
He's american, he needs his comfort foods to function normally.
>>
File: 1455678624831.png (530 KB, 652x716) Image search: [Google]
1455678624831.png
530 KB, 652x716
>>7943409
mmm, eating in the lab
>>
>>7943336
Underrated
>>
>>7941653
just don't eat or drink in the lab, you dirty fucker
>>
>>7941653
I am one of four people with keys to my lab (undergrad). I am the only person who uses the lab for research. I eat my lunch in their at least once a week and no one can say shit to me. Thank god the only dangerous stuff are some alpha test sources. And an old fast reactor simulation.
>>
>>7941776
That still sounds fun
>Hey doc, you're going to get a kick out of this
>turn off the lights
>>
>>7941879
>student swaps D-glucose with L-glucose
>suddenly becomes the strongest coffee he has ever drinken
>>
>>7943427

kek'd
>>
>>7941879
Did he buy the,glucose,himself,or,punk it from the lab
>>
>>7941985
Kill yourself paedophile
>>
>>7943741
>ae and not æ
do
>>
>>7943354
Obviously your protection wasn't "full" if it didn't work.
>>
>>7943637
Punk it from the lab obviously, we're a carbohydrate chemistry group
>>
>>7941776
>glow in the dark gonorrhea experiment.
I want to do that now.
But I have to have gonorrhea, which means I first need to have sex.
>>
>>7941676
> go outside
And let my boss catch me slacking off?

Most dangerous thing to digest in my lab is probably solder
Plenty of labs don't have toxins and parasites everywhere
>>
>>7942499
Don't listen to it with headphones.
Don't have it too loud.

It shouldn't be distracting to others, and you should have full auditory awareness of what's around you.
>>
>not drinking the chemicals

what are you, a pussy?
>>
>>7944152
ya
>>
>>7944145
>stepping outside the lab to safely eat and drink is slacking off
>>
>>7944167
Outside of specified break times, it is.
>>
>>7944172
>eating when you're not on break
>>
>>7944184
Sometimes you just want something small.
I wasn't him, but I like to eat a snack every now and then. It's wrapped and I just eat it all in one go. No chance of any contamination (unless someone burns a hole through it) and it's faster than going outside when your lab isn't on the ground floor.

I've been to places where the labs are sometimes several stories up. You'd take like 15 minutes to leave just to do something that takes 20 seconds.
>>
>>7944195
>it takes me fifteen minutes to walk out to the hallway
>>
>>7944195
>No chance of any contamination
not for you to decide. that's why the safety rules are there.

seriously
DON'T EAT OR DRINK IN THE LAB
fucking eat during your breaks if you're hungry
>>
>>7944197
>Eating anywhere outside of the cafeteria (usually ground floor) or outside
Disgusting mate. I'd take my chances inside the lab.
>>
>>7944203
you're a very irresponsible person then. why would you try to justify this? you clearly don't care
>>
File: 1428744750837.jpg (138 KB, 539x716) Image search: [Google]
1428744750837.jpg
138 KB, 539x716
>>7944203
>>7944195
>>
>>7944204
I don't care because I don't work with anything toxic at all.

Worst I'm going to do is spill hydrochloric acid on it, but at that point my hand would burn touching the snack.

I wouldn't even be able to touch it, let alone eat it.
>>
>>7941653
We had bench tables to finish our snacks right outside the lab.
>>
>>7944217
What I'm saying you don't care about is following security procedures. I don't care about your justification. You're an irresponsible person that breaks regulations because of ad-hoc justifications. That's all.
>>
>>7944167
Again there's nothing that dangerous in the lab. I'm more likely to break the equipment than anything else.
There's more science than just chemistry, pathology and nuclear physics
>>
>>7944211
Jesus christ how horrible
>>
>>7944236
It was the retard's own fault for directly dumping 16 kg of uranium nitrate out of a bucket into a tank designed to hold 2.4kg, instead of putting into the buffer tank.
>>
>>7944245
Doesn't make it a less horrible death. If a buddhist monk sets himself on fire, is that not a horrible death too?
>>
>>7944268
dumb fedora tipper
>>
>>7941653
nothing at all, you are more likely to discover a new psychoactive substance if you do so. I mean that's how LSD was discovered right?
>>
>>7941776
>>glow in the dark gonorrhea
WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! With luciferin we could gonorrhea that glows!
>>
>>7944294
I... what?
>>
>>7941653
Did you know that chemists have slightly lower average lifespans than the general population?

Computational chemistry, all the fun of chemistry without the cancer risk!
>>
>>7944320
It would be a good idea. It would make STD detection/ avoidance easier.

>I took off her panties and saw her vagina glowing. I told that bitch to get the fuck out and then washed my sheets in bleach.
>>
>>7944323
>computational chemistry
enjoy your x-ray doses
>>
>>7944323
damn,better become the general population then
>>
bumpu-desu!
>>
The TA I had for Gen Chem was a major dick about no food or drinks in the lab and everyone wearing goggles and gloves at all times, but would walk around drinking coffee. He never wore goggles himself and once diluted concentrated HNO3 with his bare hands.
>>
>>7944975
>diluted concentrated HNO3 with his bare hands.
Where do these retarded TAs spawn from?!
>>
>>7944330
TIL Matlab gives out x-ray

I knew I shouldn't have used the pirated version
>>
>>7941653
Never, you retard.
DON'T EAR OR DRINK IN THE LAB
The reason this rule exists is not because you might accidentally drink concentrated acid or whatever.
Even breathing the lab air is very unhealthy, the air is generally loaded with things you shouldn't breathe.

>>7941674
Nigga just put your fucking thermos or donus or whatever out the door, what is wrong with you?
Safety is not about having fun or not having fun, it's about not fucking up and getting yourself poisoned or worse.
>>
>>7942837
Lab Coats are the best.
And the best kind of safety equipment.
>>
>>7945059
Top Kek
>>
>>7945059
>being this retarded
>what is x-ray crystallography
>>
>>7945063
>Even breathing the lab air is very unhealthy,
Nah man, it feels great. Outside air sucks
>>
>>7945073
Organic solvents smell nice and a little bit of ammonia makes the entire place feel much more like home, right?
>>
File: 1363497169868.jpg (10 KB, 126x121) Image search: [Google]
1363497169868.jpg
10 KB, 126x121
>>7941674
Nah dude fuck the haters, ur totally right
College is about having fun XD
Life is so short, we should be able to do whatever we want!

With such an upbeat attitude, maybe you can land a place in Union Carbide someday. Especially in the more prominent Indian branch.

>>7945072
Don't call yourself a retard, dude. Someday, you might be smart enough to do other fields of computational chemistry other than just that. Thermophysical equations of states are all the rage lately. Plant simulation software companies will buy the shit out of your findings.
>>
>>7942795
That's why you look around for people who might push you into cars before you cross the road.
>>
>>7942940
>Not listening to Fermi...

>OP not listening to basic safety rules...
>>
>>7945085
Indian branch

I'd rather work somewhere that has a toilet.
>>
>>7945085
I honestly can't tell if that entire post was sarcasm or if only most it was.
>>
>>7945085
Moshi moshi, baito-desu~!!
>>
I think it depends on the field. I doubt food would be a big issue in non-nuclear physics. A plate of nachos isn't going to fuck up or get poisoned by your electricity/ magnetism/ laser/ pushing a block up an incline experiment
>>
>>7945951
No, but it'll still make a mess that needs to be cleaned up.
>>
>>7945121
The designated shitting street wasn't the biggest accumulation of feces in Bhopal.
>>
>>7941653
I'm a Medical Lab Tech student, you don't want to eat in this kind of lab, there's literally piss and shit in the lab. Also, you could get fined if you do eat and drink in the lab,
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.