[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We will ever send a probe into the Sun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: sun.gif (173 KB, 820x548) Image search: [Google]
sun.gif
173 KB, 820x548
We will ever send a probe into the Sun?
>>
>>7941465
Only at night
>>
It'd be awfully hard to communicate with a probe entering the Sun, so probably not. Not unless we figure we can observe something meaningful from afar, like we did with the Deep Impact probe.
>>
File: 1456506630770.jpg (773 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456506630770.jpg
773 KB, 1920x1200
>>7941474
>>
why would we waste that much energy?
>>
>>7941478
Ur mum liked my deep impact probe m8
>>
I don't think it's physically possible, OP.

Is there any material that could stay solid at sun temperatures and not under extreme pressure?
>>
>>7941696
I think it's too early to state that. Seeing as the sun is basically a lump of plasma, how about using magnetic fields to shield a probe?

No materials I know of can stay solid if in direct contact with materials in the sun (due to the temperature of the materials in the sun), but almost all--if not all--conceivable materials will liquefy at extreme pressures, so your question doesn't make any sense.
>>
when I was in elementary school one of the teachers told us we sent a probe through stars in space but we just sent them so fast so that they could get through without melting.
>>
>>7941813
I think your teacher was lying to you.
>>
Mirrors and magnetic shielding
>>
I think the real question here isn't if we can. It's why?
>>
more useful would be sending more probes into jupiter and saturn so we can learn more about brown dwarfs
>>
>>7942077
If we could steal a single cubic centimetre of the Sun's core it would be enough to power our civilisation for the next [math]10^{94}[/math] galactic years.

The real question is if we can why wouldn't we?
>>
>>7942089
That's an acceptable amount of why
>>
>>7942078
That's racist and immature
>>
Guys, where can I get 1.19 x 10^57 hydrogen atoms (after the Sun has burned all of it's)?

I want to extract the Sun's helium to prevent it from expanding then replace the old sun with a new one of the same composition.
>>
>>7942121
Just electrolyse some water and remove the oxygen, duh.

(Probably easier to just burn off the O2 or something)
>>
>>7941609
>why would we waste that much energy?
why do we keep paying scientists, amirite ?
>>
>>7942121
How you gonna pressurize it dumbass? You just got burnt
>>
>>7942089
Stealing is illegal
>>
>>7941696
Its easy. we just send probe made from liquid hot MAGma
>>
>>7942170
With a pump of course. Have you never heard of pumps?
>>
>>7942089
You need to steal most of the sun for it to work though f4m
>>
>>7941465
Well nobody's perfect.
>>
hi
>>
>>7942089

At the center of the Sun, fusion power is about 276.5 watts/m3.

Similar to an active compost heap, and is lower than the power density produced by the metabolism of an adult human.
>>
>>7941474
lel
>>
>>7941739
Direct contact isn't the only way to transfer heat.
>>
We have to throw a sun made of ice at it first, to counter the lava suns heat, then we can send a probe at it.
>>
>>7942661
That would severely shorten the suns life span.
>>
>>7942671
For you
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.