[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could we use math to communicate with extra terrestrials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (137 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
137 KB, 1600x1200
Could we use math to communicate with extra terrestrials
>>
Yeah, we'll just have to tell them we use base 10 first.
>>
Sure.
Define a set in strictly mathematical terms. No language, as that would not be intuitive.
>>
>>7941425

Yes. [math]a^2+b^2=c^2[/math], and the speed of light remains constant in a vacuum regardless of your origin of life.
We could communicate mathematics with them, but we first need to establish axioms. I believe binary is sufficient, as it has intrinsic properties pertaining to wave dynamics and electricity, and is easy to communicate.
>>
>>7941439
Not hard.

Show them 3 apples and write the number 3
Show them the multiplication symbol.
Show them 5 apples and write the number 5
Replace with 1 row of 10 and write the number 10 and 1 row of 5 and write the number 5.

Proceed to show aliens ASCII code and they should be able to figure the rest out since they're aliens.
>>
>>7941447
That equation is only true under certain topologies. Who the hell told you it was universally true?

And how do you communicate that you have discovered such a specific correlation under such special conditions to someone who may not even communicate via language?

Again, as I said above: Define a set without using any language.
>>
>>7941449
>He still uses electromagnetic waves to "see"
>>
Math is the universal language. Yes.
>>
File: alien_math2.jpg (15 KB, 508x152) Image search: [Google]
alien_math2.jpg
15 KB, 508x152
>>7941425
>>
>>7941538
*tips fedora*
>>
Only prime numbers or Pi
>>
>>7941538
roleplaying room is this way
>>>/cgl/
>>
Our math works well enough for what we know.

That doesn't embody the whole universe.
>>
>>7941538
But then they would easily understand our math.
>>
i dont even know how wed transmit numerical values so that they would be decipherable back into alien numbers and human numbers
>>
Did the NASAs ever think of sending [math] \mathbb{AYY LMAO}[/math] into the skies?
>>
Yeah maybe they have 3 digits on each hand so they use a base 6 system and all their math shit is fractions and won't understand human notation.

Then they direct a gamma ray burst toward earth and exterminate us because they find it alien and incomprehensible and massively threatening.
>>
How do you write ayy lmao in maths
AYY LMAO
>>
>>7941516
implying anything in the universe can ever be quantized, lol
>>
>>7941449
what if they dont have eyes
>>
>>7941862
Then they would be evolutionary failures.
>>
>>7941902
what if they perceive distortions in gravity and electromagnetic energy and can see in 3 dimensions?
>>
>>7941914
How would that work
>>
>>7941917
maybe they have some organ that transmits photos from a bioluminecent cluster of cells to a photoreceptive cluster of cells and their brains are so highly developed that they can tell when the fluctuations of the time between when the photons released and the time when they arrive in the photoreceptive cells that they can 'see' mass and it's entire dimensions and density instinctively.
>>
File: 1438406190281.jpg (32 KB, 552x624) Image search: [Google]
1438406190281.jpg
32 KB, 552x624
>>7941945
>>
>>7941945
My sides are in orbit

I would literally start believing in god if that madness came to be.
>>
>>7941917
it jus does
retard
>>
>>7941914
If that type of vision became efficient enough they could probably see our writing anyway

though, it probably wouldn't get that efficient
>>
File: ufo83np.jpg (4 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
ufo83np.jpg
4 KB, 300x100
>>7941564
Sure, but how do you say 'hi there' in math?
>>
>>7941425
No, but if we're smart we might be able to use it to calibrate our universal translators. I wouldn't bet on it though.
>>
>>7942250
You wouldn't say 'hi there', you'd say 'pi there'.
>>
File: hi_there.jpg (4 KB, 226x288) Image search: [Google]
hi_there.jpg
4 KB, 226x288
>>7942250
They understand sign language.
>>
>>7942250
You'd have to translate a biophysical phenomena involving endogeonous opioid neuropeptides into maths. Like the oxytocin reaction that comes with meeting a new friendly being. Translating that into maths
>>
>>7941817
>GBR
Good luck producing that much energy.
>>
File: ET-contact-app.png (80 KB, 296x114) Image search: [Google]
ET-contact-app.png
80 KB, 296x114
>>7941425
>use math to communicate
Want to make them laugh? That would be the equivalent of a dolphin blowing bubble rings.
>>7942345
No need. They cannot speak and communicate telepathically, contactees know that. On level 4 there is no privacy and they can easily read your neurological status. What feels ominous is that they call us 'containers' among themselves..
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.