[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The speed of light is EXACTLY 299,792,458 m / s >The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
>The speed of light is EXACTLY 299,792,458 m / s

>The speed of light is [math]literally[/math] [math]an[/math] [math]integer[/math]
>>
>>7941001
>>
True, this is because the speed of light can be derived from basic electromagnetic principles. Unfortunately, the exact speed is limited by the fact that we don't have a 100% precise measurements of the meter or the second.
>>
Speed of light in a vacuum...
>>
>>7941001
>official definition of meter and second based on speed of light
>OMG GUYS THE SPEED OF LIGHT IN m/s IS LIKE TOTALLY AN INTEGER BY COINCIDENCE
>>
>>7941017
Answers the question I'd just been typing >:)
>>
>>7941001
Learn2Latex
That could have been one math tag separated with \;
>>
File: exact_physical_constants.jpg (83 KB, 693x562) Image search: [Google]
exact_physical_constants.jpg
83 KB, 693x562
>>7941014
>derived from basic electromagnetic principles
How so? How do you derive the electric constant without using the speed of light? Isn't that circular reasoning?
>>
>>7941328
It's because they're related in a pretty fundamental way like for instance

a=b*c

If I define the units of a and b then c is set. However if I define the units of b and c then a is set.

Alright so how do you define a unit of measurement? By some experiment.
>>
>>7941014
No, the second is defined as 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom, and the metre is defined as the length that electromagnetic radiation traverses in a vacuum in a second.
>>
>>7941350
>some experiment
that's how vague as it can get

given c^2*epsilon0*mu0=1 and (from definition of the ampere) mu0=4*pi*e-7 Vs/Am you get epsilon=1/(c^2*4*pi*e-7) As/Vm which is an exact value because c is _defined_ to be exactly 299792458 m/s and the second is _defined_ to be exactly the duration of 9.192631770e9 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom

now design your experiment
>>
File: whisper.png (451 KB, 1335x1161) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
451 KB, 1335x1161
>>7941482
>and the metre is defined as the length that electromagnetic radiation traverses in a vacuum in a second.

no
>>
If you input the speed of light in a vacuum as the latitude you'll hit exactly the top of the pyramid in giza.
>>
>>7941006
I love this post.
>>
>>7941565
Interesting. Hypothetically what is that supposed to signify though? Egyptians knew something about light and they also had the meter, or what?
>>
>>7941998
Exactly, Ben Carson proved that long ago.
>>
File: meh.ro80.png (111 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro80.png
111 KB, 1920x1200
>>7941557
>mfw i can touch the moon
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.