[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will happen to us when the magnetic fields flip? Will there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: magneticfield-transcript.jpg (71 KB, 275x246) Image search: [Google]
magneticfield-transcript.jpg
71 KB, 275x246
What will happen to us when the magnetic fields flip? Will there be any danger?

Do we know exactly when the next time it'll flip is?
>>
File: venus.jpg (49 KB, 470x480) Image search: [Google]
venus.jpg
49 KB, 470x480
just be thankful we still have a magnetic field
>>
Magnet based compasses will be messed up. Animal migrating birds might have trouble, assuming they actually use it.

But it's not like it's going to happen overnight. It'll probably take years to complete. Maybe even decades.
>>
>>7939756
I think its any time from now to the next 200,000 years. That bein said it doesn't just flip at one moment and it takes thousands of years to flip and it flips in zones first meaning there's not a period without a field.
>>
>>7939760
That one storm could have really fucked us up, thank luck that it didn't.
>>
Canada geese will move to Rio.
>>
you will fall upside down into the space
>>
>>7939763
i agree with the 1000's of years, however the field will at some point be fluctuation, maybe for 100's of years, bearing in mind the propensity it has for protecting the surface of the planet from solar radiation don't you think there is a possibility for problems? (not in my lifetime thk fck)
>>
>>7939756
It wont do shit to us directly. Our species have already experienced it in the past. Only thing it will do to us is fuck up some of our gadgets.
>>
File: maslow.png (115 KB, 1202x892) Image search: [Google]
maslow.png
115 KB, 1202x892
>>7940399
Obviously not a millennial, for whom
>us directly = our gadgets
>>
>>7940322
How the fuck would a storm somehow cool the convecting electrically conducting molten metal inside the earth causing the planet to stop acting like a dynamo and generating a magnetic field
>>
>>7939756
Van Allen belts will be weakened or disappear, and thus cosmic radiation reaching the ground will increase a lot.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.