[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we on the edge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: tmp_5641-images1178477945.png (843 B, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5641-images1178477945.png
843 B, 150x113
We are said to be 14 billion light years from the edge of our universe. I have been thinking about this idea and I know our point of view is not special... An observer at any point in our universe would see an edge at 14 billion lyrs. But I think if our universe is expanding, there must be an edge...where spacetime and stuffs come to be. Isn't it happening HERE and NOW?
>>
>But I think if our universe is expanding, there must be an edge...
Not necessarily. Considered the surface of a balloon that's being inflated: it's expanding yet edgeless.
>>
>>7939215
I think he meant "boundary."
>>
>>7939211
There is no edge. Space is expanding into itself. Also, the edge of the observable universe is 46 billion light years away, not 14.
>>
I'm edging.
>>
>>7941398
No release for you, pupper.
>>
>>7941362
>Edge of the observable universe is 46 billion light-years
We're not the center of the universe idiot
>>
The universe isn't expanding. The stuff that we're seeing has always been 'there', it's just that the light is only reaching us now.

i.e., something that's 15 billion light years away won't become part of our observable universe for another 500 million years, because that's how long it'll take for any light from or around it to reach our world.
>>
>>7942799
Everyone everywhere is at the centre of their _observable_ universe you retard.
>>
>>7943000
If it isn't expanding how come the further away an object the greater its redshift?
Also, since the expansion of the universe is accelerating, the observable universe is shrinking as the distance at which the velocity of recession exceeds the speed of light is reduced. Ergo, something that is not within our observable universe now, never will be.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.