[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to survive a nuclear strike? Please explain the science behind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: blastprotection.jpg (28 KB, 450x392) Image search: [Google]
blastprotection.jpg
28 KB, 450x392
How to survive a nuclear strike? Please explain the science behind surviving it as well.

As we all know, the threat of a possible nuclear attack is likely to rise, considering that Russia is likely to disintegrate (according to the recent intelligence reports) and the vast amounts of ICBMS will be left at different autonomous regions' disposal who could use them erratically.
You can call me a moron all you want, but I'd rather be a moron than dead, should things play out this way.

Any serious proposals on surviving a nuclear strike or helping others to do so are welcome. I'm also interested in the science behind this, and this is why I'm posting this here.
>>
>>7935139
OP here.
Wanted to mention that I'm not implying that Russia will disintegrate now - but it is likely to do so in the coming decades. (See Stratfor Global Intelligence decade forecast)
>>
>>7935139
Bomb them first.
>>
>>7935139
There is pretty much no way to survive a nuclear strike IRL.
>>
>>7935190
like literally no way. The stuff they used to talk about in the civil defense was all lies to make the public feel better.

There is honestly no way to respond to or cope with a nuclear strike, the devastation would be literally inconceivable billions and billions would die. They are capable of making bombs now that can annihilate entire continents, yes, continents, in one bombing.

The official report by the department of emergency planning states that diseases would spring up, rape and looting and other lawlessness, and tons of radiation, we would hunt for food because nothing would grow in the ground anymore ect.

A nuclear strike is end of days stufff
>>
File: hiroshima.jpg (136 KB, 634x500) Image search: [Google]
hiroshima.jpg
136 KB, 634x500
>>7935195
it's not like a video game where there are buildings left standing or even people still alive.

pic related used to be an entire city
and those are the SMALL bombs, really really SMALL
>>
>>7935139
>Russia is likely to disintegrate
Disintegrate into what? Russia is Russia, their world already broke up when the Soviet Union spilt. America is more likely to disintegrate, Trump will probably start a second Civil War if he's extra retarded.
>>
>>7935139
Hey OP, I am a nuclear scientist I am also certified by FEMA for radiological weapons attack and accident response.

These guys do not know what they are talking about. If you are close to the initial blast (within 6-8 miles) survival will be very slim. However, if you can get out of the initial blast, you do not have to stay hidden for too too long to make it. Radiation releases dissipate fairly quickly.

Any specific questions please ask.
>>
>>7935216
prove it.
>>
>>7935139
I think there's an old Heinlein quote that I can't find, but I remember.

>The best way to survive a nuclear explosion is to not be there when it happens.

I can't find it on google, but I think it applies anyway.
>>
File: onecert.png (62 KB, 1351x671) Image search: [Google]
onecert.png
62 KB, 1351x671
>>7935218
Not everyone on here is a liar you know. Here is one of my certs.
>>
>>7935216
Let's say you want to assemble a small kit to bring with yourself while running to the deep underground compound (there's one under my apartment) in case of an alert of an impending nuclear strike.
What would you put in it? And what other things should you bring with you?
>>
>>7935229
Anyone can take the course, you are welcome to steal a PDF with my name on it if you really want to.

In fact I recommend people take these courses as they can improve your resume.
>>
>>7935139
Hide in your fridge.
>>
>>7935232
It is not sensitive. I send that link to any employer who needs proof as well to many grants.

If someone wants to extract my name from an image they could probably find it another way simply by googling the description of myself.
>>
>>7935230
How close is your apartment to a major city? If you are close to an impact center you will not survive even inside of a basement or metro system.

If you are outside the city you will need water, food, and a way to stay warm.

For radiation specific supplied you should have a tarp in which you could cover all seams of a door as well as duct tape for sealing the door. A radiation indicator tag would be helpful as well. Radiation damage will be most significant if you eat or drink something contaminated.

If you are looking to invest a little more you should have coveralls and a gas mask.
>>
>>7935245
nah don't believe this guy. They don't teach even their own workers the truth.

everyone dies in a nuclear strike.
>>
>>7935249
Shut up moron.

Anyway, here is a map that is a pretty good tool. Not 100% accurate obviously but it gives a good visual of the damage from a nuclear strike.

As you can see I live in one of the Boroughs of NYC. The only hope I would have is to be deep inside of a metro tunnel. Even then it may collapse and kill me.From there I would try to move further from the epicenter and upwind of the radiation. In this situation I would need to stay underground for almost 2 weeks. Not optimal.
>>
File: nukemap.png (1 MB, 1652x917) Image search: [Google]
nukemap.png
1 MB, 1652x917
Forgot pic
>>7935255
>>
>>7935255
He can post his own name and a government certificate with said name on it but he can't post the map that was supposed to go with his post.

whose the moron now?
>>
>>7935255
what direction is upwind in new york?
>>
>>7935259
Here is the site I use. It would be preferable to have a radio to keep informed of the weather patterns.

The fallout can also be reduced by the amount of times it rains etc. Ergo your two weeks of hiding may decrease or increase depending.

http://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/new_york_brooklyn
>>
>>7935262
what about the rain water bringing the radiation into the ground where you are hiding? wouldn't it be better if it didn't rain?
>>
>>7935266
Subways are pretty deep and the rain doesn't get in while you are inside of them.

However, if you are out of water do not drink rainwater or collected water in basements or subways unless you have instrumentation to check for radiation.

Bottled water should be safe, most stores would probably be in shambles directly after the strike. If you are outside of thermal and over-pressure areas in the 1950s they did tests determining that you would have approximately 14 minutes to seek shelter. In many places that is enough time to gather food and water and put it in the basement or other place.
>>
>>7935195
This. Civil Defense was a huge crock of shit. Even the public eventually realized and stopped taking part. Once the button is pressed it's OVER.

...unless you bought a SpaceX ticket to Mars
www.spacex.com
Buy one get one free!
>>
>>7935281
Again, this is true but only if there was a total nuclear war.

This is the guy with the certs again, but a much more likely scenario these days is a single nuclear detonation or a dirty bomb attack in a capital city. The later I am increasingly afraid of.
>>
>>7935285
I live in the suburbs, according to Nukemap only thermonuclear weapons can get me and terrorists won't be getting them any time soon so I have nothing to fear. Shame about all the wagecucks who commute in to the city though...
>>
>>7935216
Do you know anything about radioactive decontamination? Have there been any recent advances in the speed of decontamination or attempts to make it viable for individuals?
>>
>>7935143
on a side note, Stratfor has been know to put out shitty reports and make false predictions
>>
>>7935416
Thx. Nukemap is interesting. Based on military base strikes the UK is toast.
>>
>>7935697
>dropped minuteman on london
>blast radius ended at my local tube station
wew
>>
>>7935139
>How to survive a nuclear strike
besides not living in a place that's near a potential target?
Prepare. Have a bunker at least 3m under the topsoil and at least 3 months of food and water (although 3 weeks is typically good enough). Have a filtered air supply and some circulation system. Have a sealed suit (no shielding required) just to avoid contaminated dust when you leave.

And of course be lucky enough to be near home and away from the blast.

Also USSR already crashed once, and it's proven multiple times that nobody wants to bother starting a nuclear war you stupid teenager. And Russia isn't disintegrating.
>>
Dead people are also morons.

Dead = Moron
Moron = Dead

So what's the fucking difference? Just die in the blast like everyone fucking else.
>>
>>7935139
>vast amounts of ICBMS will be left at different autonomous regions' disposal who could use them erratically
I remember hearing somewhere that you need a special code (stored separately and closely guarded) to decrypt the proper timing sequence for the explosive charges in order for the nuclear bomb to detonate properly. Without that it would make a pop at a fraction of its rated power at best.

>>7935198
>Japan
>buildings
You mean rabbit huts made out of bamboo sticks and rice paper
Most of the actual buildings are still there on your pic
>>
Why the hell would you want to survive it? I'm looking forward to the Nuclear War.
>>
File: you.jpg (28 KB, 550x480) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
28 KB, 550x480
>>7935139
>As we all know, the threat of a possible nuclear attack is likely to rise, considering that Russia is likely to disintegrate
Surely you mean that some fucktard like Trump will get the launch codes.
>>
File: 2ede11d.jpg (8 KB, 199x199) Image search: [Google]
2ede11d.jpg
8 KB, 199x199
>>7935224
You should update your linkedin
>>
ITT: retarded alarmists

Literally all of the impact scenarios OP is implicating are ones wherein terrorists acquire nuclear ICBMs due to deteriorated security. What OP - among others, of course - don't know is that, just like the US, these ICBMs rely on very delicate systems and launch protocols which are virtually impossible to access. they aren't like fucking pump rockets where you can just load them onto/into some tube then fucking launch them by jumping on the air apparatus. Additionally, the US, as well as other countries, have BMD constellations set up both on the ground and in the mesosphere for real doomsday scenarios. Fun Fact: about a half a decade ago, the US secretly installed ground BMDs in Russia without their consent. They are still there, and they are still live to this day.

Also, where the fuck do you guys get this 'NUCLA MISSEL DESTROY ALL WORLD' bullshit. Unless the missle detonates in a fucking ocean, only a 50 mile radius will be impacted. Everything outside that might receive some radiation, but only due to the wind carrying radiated dust, so stay inside when that happens, duct-tape cracks between outside and inside, and get clean air circulating through the house.
>>
>>7935520
Hey this is the guy again, sorry for the delay in response. Other than the things you would figure washing hands, washing body, throwing away contaminated clothes, etc I do not know anything else. Again I would not spout bullshit on things I do not know. Basically we are taught that if you are exposed you are fucko'd so just don't get exposed. Also you should take iodine pills if I have not mentioned that, those can save you from absorbing some forms of radiation contaminants.

>>7935697
Yes pretty cool, anywhere near military bases or cities would be fucked in all out war. Just cities in cases of one detonation.

>>7936399
Nice, hide out there then, make sure you have water for at least two weeks. Food is negligible.

>>7936903
Russia is basically a non-threat currently. Worry more about cesium bombs from stolen research materials.

>>7936964
Not me, probably same name. It is a common name.

>>7936973
There is a difference from being an alarmist to being informed. The people who say the world is fucked are retarded. I also don't fear these things every day like some kind of tinfoil hat wearing moron. But these are events (dirty bomb, single detonation) that could happen.

That is all the questions I think for now.
>>
File: 1458165846193.jpg (11 KB, 254x255) Image search: [Google]
1458165846193.jpg
11 KB, 254x255
>>7935195
Hahaha whole continent? you have been eating shit my friend
>>
>>7937281
I did not want to point out how ill informed that statement was, I figured nukemap would demonstrate that even the largest hydrogen bombs could not do that.
>>
File: Tsutomu Yamaguchi.jpg (59 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tsutomu Yamaguchi.jpg
59 KB, 640x360
>>7935139
be a Japanese man.
>>
>>7935249
>Not even the camera that was destroyed
This gif just shows again that nukes are overrated. The real dangerous weapons are bio-weapons.
>>
>>7937281
>what is MIRV?
>>
>>7937355
>>what is MIRV?
For a start, it's not one bomb. Furthermore, it's not particularly big bombs. Nor is it a weapon that can devastate a continent in one shot.

>>7935195
>The stuff they used to talk about in the civil defense was all lies to make the public feel better.
No it wasn't. You've got it turned around. The stuff about nuclear weapons being some form of absolute destruction was all lies to make the public feel more terrified.

In order to affect the largest area possible, modern strategic nukes are detonated at a fairly high altitude. The effect with the longest range is the flash, which can blind you, burn you, and set fires. Most of the affected area will only have to worry about the flash, EMP, and fallout.

Nuclear bombs are expensive and have a fairly limited blast radius. Pretty much only the dense central regions of the largest cities will be hit hard with the fireball and shockwave.

>>7935139
>How to survive a nuclear strike?
1) Stay out of city centers.
2) Have a properly stocked fallout shelter, including air filters, EMP-resistant communication equipment, and protective clothing.
3) Duck and cover, then get to your shelter as fast as you can.
4) Have practical skills that will be useful in rebuilding after a major disaster.
5) Keep a positive outlook. If a third of your family died, you'd still have a lot to live for. When a third of the world dies, the rest just have to roll up their sleeves and carry on.
>>
>>7935235
+Kek! wp m'lord
>>
Not one of the previous posters.
I do want to point out that modern metro systems do not have blast doors like in1940. Therefore a nuclear blast over a city would produce a 1) pressure wave radiating outwards from the blast, turning to a 2) heat blast, followed by a 3) reversal of direction as the pressure balanced.

"Hide in the metro" - Fuck that shit !!
>>
>>7937569
The question is not whether you're absolutely safe in a shallowly-buried tunnel directly under ground zero -- of course you are not.

The question is at what distance from the detonation you have to be to survive, under different kinds of shelter.

Shockwaves don't come around corners terribly well. I think getting underground is a good idea if you know there's a nuclear attack coming, although you want to avoid being under anything that will collapse.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.