[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>i) Working as an engineer >ii) Doing a PhD research in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Hydrangeas.jpg (581 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Hydrangeas.jpg
581 KB, 1024x768
>i) Working as an engineer
>ii) Doing a PhD research in an engineering field

Which one has more value ?
>>
Depends where the dudes are hotter
>>
chem engineer here >>7931762 is how I chose where to work after graduating.
>>
>>7931760
when you say engineer, you mean doing a full masters or just american engineer? Also what country?
>>
>>7931766

say both .
>>
Go into industry if you want to get paid well, but work on mind numbingly boring stuff with lots of responsibility.

Go into research if you want to get paid peanuts but work on interesting stuff.
>>
>>7931790
>>
>>7931790
Working on research also has the strong possibility of yielding patentable work that you can either license or use to create a startup.
>>
Im currently going to school for engineering.. Its only my third semester of undergrad and i was thinking going for a chem engineering degree... What do you all think is the best rout for an inspiring engineer?
>>
>>7931790

OP here again, does the following statement make sense :

'Getting into research, you get more free time than at work/industry ... hence allowing for you to learn and create other things on the side'.

I am currently working as an engineer but am amazed by how dull the 9-5 work life makes you, it's like all you want to do everyday after work is relax ... allowing for no time to grow
>>
>>7931828

I disagree. Usually you are working under a corporation or private entity that funds your research, In turn, they OWN the patents and any intellectual property that comes from it and if you're lucky, tip a bonus of a few thousand dollars,
>>
>>7931760
I) Work in industry, consistently make money
II) Work in academia, struggle for 15 years until referred to as consultant. Make bank for saying "I agree".

Most professors I know make most of their money by being on board for companies who need a PhD next to a name for authority. Either that or they negotiate huge stipends in their contract research.

Ie. Professor showed class how viable CFD research was, makes $100k/year salary, brought home $750k over 5 years (plus salary) for government research.
>>
>>7931837
Depends on the institution, the field, the kind of work you are responsible for etc.

I know engineering PhD students that sometimes might have to work 9 to 8 or 9pm straight. PhDs might require a LOT more work than industry jobs and usually do, so don't go expecting an easy ride. On the other hand, the very thought of contributing to something original and interesting is what sustains PhD students above all else.
>>
>>7931838
I disagree.
While you are right, you can have side projects going independently, using the resources and infrastructure that are already provided.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.