[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what do you think is at the end of Cosmos? Some giant wall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
So what do you think is at the end of Cosmos? Some giant wall or black hole?
>>
>>7931444
trips smell like a shitpost from here in the 'center of the spergmos'
>>
>>
>>7931444

Fuck you're dumb
>>
Technically it's placed in a manifold so there is no end. It will appear like a forever repeating grid of matching universes but each one is actually the same molecules making up the same universe. The matching molecules never touch so technically, they're never in two places at once or the same place twice.

Play portal or portal 2 and shoot a portal on opposite sides of a hallway, look down the portals. That's what it looks like it there
>>
>>7931460
Do you believe in big bang theory?
>>
>>7931444
It just goes on and on.
>>
>>7931460
That's if the space part is something like a 3-torus. If space is just R^3, then there is no end and it just goes on and on.
If it's a manifold with boundary, then there is an end.
>>
So, how do we know space is infinite? What I mean is, how do we know there's anything beyond observable universe?
>>
>>7931619
We don't know.
>>
>>7931622
Do we have any decent guesses?
>>
>>7931625
The best guess is that space SEEMS flat given our limited perspective. However, if it's large enough it can be curved (possibly even closed), but it would be on such a large scale that it's undetectable at our scales.
>>
>>7931460
That would depend on the curvature of the universe, and most people agree it's 1, meaning it's flat and you couldn't go back to where you were just by moving forward.
>>
File: _20160310_095507.jpg (32 KB, 478x499) Image search: [Google]
_20160310_095507.jpg
32 KB, 478x499
There's a wall, and it just got 10 feet taller
>>
File: image.png (67 KB, 220x157) Image search: [Google]
image.png
67 KB, 220x157
>>7931444
>tfw the universe is self-aware and attempting to understand itself vicariously through little monkeys born from spacedust on the planet earth in the sol system
>>
>>7931668

>flat spacers
>mfw they've evolved

Where can they go from here?
>>
>>7931781
Tori can be flat.
>>
>>7931781
>spacetime appears to be expanding
>but they assume space is flat
hmmm
>>
File: FRW_metric.jpg (18 KB, 429x157) Image search: [Google]
FRW_metric.jpg
18 KB, 429x157
>>7932152
That's not contradictory.
>>
>>7932168
It's not, but it might not be the best explanation either.

For example, we use the expanding balloon as an analogy for space - but a balloon is not flat!It doesn't seem intuitive to me.
>>
>>7932224
If you look at a differential piece of it, it's basically flat
>>
>>7932235
I guess the earth is flat since the floor I'm standing on is flat.
>>
>>7932251
basically
>>
>>7932224
It's an analogy. A balloon is also 2 dimensional.
>>
>>7932492
The only other comparison I could think of is something expanding when it's heated up. But there isn't some great "cosmic heating", is there? I've never heard of it. How could something expand with heat being applied? Or since we're talking about balloons, is there a "cosmic inflation"? Do the laws of physics just give up at galactic scales?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that space isn't flat
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.