[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone who knows shit about electronics answer something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: OJ7gLde.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
OJ7gLde.gif
3 MB, 480x270
Can someone who knows shit about electronics answer something I've been thinking for awhile?

We all know water's bad for electronics but if I take a component such as pic related that's not hooked up to any power supply and soak it in water, would it work afterwards as long as it is completely dried out? Why does getting a non-powered electrical component wet matter if it can be dried out?
>>
>>7930237
Impurities in the water are the main concern, otherwise there's no reason it wouldn't work after being completely dried.
>>
>>7930237
mineral deposits in the water left on the board can short it out once its powered again
>>
>>7930247
>>7930253
Oooooh.

So if it's deionized water is technically fine? So say could I drop an entire computer tower (assuming no internal batteries) into a pool and it could be ok after it dries?
>>
>>7930237
>>7930253
Yeah any dust, impurities on the board will conduct electricity.

The little capacitors and shit on the PCB can discharge as well.

Theoretically, in a perfect world, it would be okay but in practice you'll ruin your board.
>>
>>7930262
try to avoid dropping your computer in pools pls
>>
>>7930262
>pool water
>deionized
>>
>>7930276
I mean a pool of dionized water.

>>7930270
I'll do what I want
>>
>>7930262

Perfectly pure water would be fine, but perfectly pure water is impossible to work with because everything loves to dissolve in water. Trace elements would dissolve from the computer tower itself and then you'd be screwed again.

(And also, obviously, "a pool" as in a swimming pool is not remotely pure water.)
>>
>>7930265

You're an idiot.

You can clearly wash electronics. In fact most of them are washed upon leaving the assembly line.

You can do with with regular water but they should be rinsed with either distilled or some isopropilic alcohol later.

Better washed them with distilled water from the get go.

And thoroughly dry them.
>>
>>7930237
Can't confirm, but I've read that using mineral water is safe.
>>
>>7930317
>Better washed them with distilled water from the get go.
Distilled water is expensive. It might be cheaper to wash them thoroughly with normal water and then clean them shortly with distilled water.
>>
>>7930317
Nigger go work in a factory.

You don't wash used electronics, the capacitors on the PCB will meet the now-salinated water you dipped them in and push some mamps through circuits they are not designed to go through.

Yeah a factory producing PCBs might spray them with febreeze for maximum added-value, but an unemployed beardo with a malfunctioning PCB will not do well rinsining off his computers motherboard under the fucking bathroom sink.

Shame on you, asshole. Shame!
>>
>>7930237
That only applies for ordinary tap water which has minerals and plenty of ionic impurities in. The ionic impurities allow an electrical current to flow and that's why submersing electronics in water is a fucking stupid idea. As for drying out? Trace amounts of minerals can be left on circuit pathways, so cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or even de-ionized water will be necessary.
>>
File: picture.jpg (67 KB, 345x363) Image search: [Google]
picture.jpg
67 KB, 345x363
>>7930983
>literally repeating everything that has already been posted
>>
>>7930350
I worked in a repair shop and some of our devices pcbs get covered with gunk.
We scrub them with isopropyl alcohol and nice cotton pads that don't leave fibers
>>
>>7930262
Hard drive would be fucked.
>>
>>7930237
If it's 100% pure water, no impurities whatsoever, then when all the water evaporates it should be fine. It's the impurities that are conductive, and that's what kills electronics when they get wet.
>>
File: bill-with-toaster-1024x576.jpg (110 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
bill-with-toaster-1024x576.jpg
110 KB, 1024x576
Somewhat related question:
Does 100% pure water conduct electricity?
>>
>>7931313
No
>>
my house flooded once and my entire computer was underwater for a few hours. it never turned off.. could move the mouse and everything. case wasnt water tight either.

wound up rinsing it with rubbing alcohol. had no problems at all.

it was surprising to say the least.
>>
>>7931331
Why didn't you turn the power off at the fusebox/utility panel (or whatever it is called)?
>>
>>7931313
Yes. Not much, but it does.
>>
>>7931313
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity

According to Wikipedia, 18kOhm/meter of water.
>>
>>7931313
>>7931314
and maybe >>7931369

If you're wondering why: [math]\rm H _2 O \rightarrow H^+ + OH^-[/math].

Neutral water has pH 7, so the concentration of the hydrogen cation (and in this case of the hydroxide) is [math]10^{-7}[/math] mol/L.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.