[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here ever U-turned in their scientific beliefs? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Greatest Contrarian Ever.jpg (37 KB, 638x359) Image search: [Google]
Greatest Contrarian Ever.jpg
37 KB, 638x359
Has anyone here ever U-turned in their scientific beliefs? I have twice. I saw a couple hobbyists in the media trying to fly on their drones flying carpet style claiming "flying cars were near" and I laughed at them for wasting their time on a dead-end because I believed batteries weren't good enough and this seemed to be verified because they only ever hovered for a few seconds. But then I got curious, did the calculations and it's totally possible to fly on a car sized drone for around half an hour if it's designed right. Now I invest money in my own personal-aerial-vehicle projects.

More controversially I also used to scoff at any UFO claims until I found out that there were many military investigations on it that still drew up blanks. I still don't believe it's aliens but I now believe that there is something to it beyond merely hallucinating.

Moral of these stories is never dismiss anything until you've done the calculations or looked at the data.
>>
>>7929858
Yes, I used to be very pro-GMO crops, thought they had solved the food crisis etc and now I think they're mostly just marginally more convenient for global agriculture corporations and introduce systemic risk unless variety is carefully enforced.
>>
>>7929858
>But then I got curious, did the calculations and it's totally possible to fly on a car sized drone for around half an hour if it's designed right.
Can you elaborate on this, or give me a link to read more about it?
>>
File: 1456467062141.png (197 KB, 362x354) Image search: [Google]
1456467062141.png
197 KB, 362x354
>>7929858
>But then I got curious, did the calculations and it's totally possible to fly on a car sized drone for around half an hour if it's designed right.
>Now I invest money in my own personal-aerial-vehicle projects.
I hope for you that they invest it to buy some officials, because nobody with a brain will permit flying cars.
>>
>>7929858
I used to be anti-QM dude some years ago, but after going through physics 101 I realised that it's pretty darn neat concept, and the fact that it works in chemistry says that's it has at least applications to real world
>>
>>7929858
>"EM drives are a meme" - /sci/, 2015
>>
>>7930015
soz m8 my designs are proprietary, mainly because I need money but also because Im bitter because I always used to share my ideas with 4chan and they were always ignored or laughed at. So fuck you all im out for profit now.
>>7930020
The whole system is autonomous thats the point, a system that enables you to fly without being able to fly. If it was manual then it would just be a shitty helicopter.

I forgot to add I used to think spacex reuseable rockets were a joke too mainly because they kept blowing up but now ive seen it land i believe in it now.
>>7930022
Im guilty of that too, disbelieving a theory because I didnt understand it. Right now I dont believe in string theory, not because i dont understand it but because theres no experimental evidence.
>>
>>7930138

>Im guilty of that too, disbelieving a theory because I didnt understand it.

There is nothing wrong with that, because it would be dishonest to believe something without understanding it.
>>
>>7929858
>I still don't believe it's aliens but I now believe that there is something to it beyond merely hallucinating.

Since we're on the topic,I had a similar 'awakening' of sorts, not on UFOs but on bizarre phenomena. One phenomenon in particular that still troubles me is the cattle mutilation one, I remember reading the FBI reports, so many anomalies... fascinating stuff, you might want to check it out if you're interested.

>>7930857
>There is nothing wrong with that

Well, there is, if you consider believing in something without understanding it dishonest, then it should be the same for disbelieving.
>>
>>7930041
They are.
>>
>>7930874

Not if you define disbelief as the absence of belief

There's a difference between not believing something and believing that something isn't true
>>
>>7930874
I think scientists should stop saying so and so is true just because and emphasize the experimental evidence because that is the only way a layman will be able to understand. Einstein said gravity bends light, I can clearly see that in lensed galaxies. String theory says there are 11 dimensions made of strings, where's the evidence???
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.