[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quantum Computing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 1366x768
Since you fools can't make a good thread, here's one.
Can a quantum computer contain a larger quantum virtual machine within it? Can you repeat this process forever making an infinitely powerful quantum computer? How many qubits would it take to do so?
>>
>>7929604
Can a computer contain a larger virtual machine within it? Can you repeat this process forever making an infinitely powerful computer? How many bits would it take to do so?
>>
>>7929606
Well, any information can be made to represent other information, so...
>>
>>7929639
No need for bumping. Can't you see that they're all busy gorillaposting, bearposting, etc.
>>
>>7929691
Well,
>>
>>7929697
It's just you and me. *crickets chirping* *wind swooshing*
>>
>>7929716
*Tumble weed*
>>
>>7929721
*birds chirping* *crazy toothless hobo screaming yeeehaaaw*
>>
So, anyone on front page?
>>
>>7929741
Chaika hopefully
>>
No. This is already done with emulators, and emulators are super shitty. Have you ever tried running an emulator on an emulator? It's even shittier. It takes processing power to process a processor that's processing another processor -- you're just vamping more computing power from the the original computer with each iteration of a virtual computer.

So, imagine the universe. If Rick and Morty were real people and they did their stupid little microverse/miniverse/tinyverse thing (which is impossible and stupid because of entropy [it would more energy to power such a device than that device could ever provide], but let's assume there's some unknown process on the quantum level that allows this [there's not]) and they didn't stop the Russian Doll thing that was going on, eventually the amount of energy needed to power it would exceed the amount of energy available in the universe and the universe would be ripped apart at the quantum level and would "stop working."
>>
>> it would take more energy*
>>
>>7929757
No, I'm saying qubits on the machine can represent over 30 values at once, allowing the inner processer to let 1 represent both 1, 0, and 11010101, making for an even more powerful computer within. This is a QUANTUM computer here.
>>
>>7929763
... but what about the energy that's required to run such a machine? You need to make sure that the computer doesn't decohere each time an output is read, you need to make sure it stays at the right temperature, you need to make sure that the qubits are arranged correctly. Look at the D-Wave machine -- it doesn't exactly have an EnergyStar rating. Now imagine trying to create a coherent quantum system within this already delicate quantum system. The amount of entropy you create trying to power such a machine will always exceed the computing power it has. There might be some break-even point that quantum computer have with classical computers because of the geometrically increasing processing power of a quantum computer with each qubit, but I'm too lazy to do the math and figure out where that point would lies or if it even exists.
>>
>>7929757
>Cannot collect oil and use it to power your car because of enthrophy used to power the oil
>Rick & Morty forever, fool.
>>
>>7929778
quantum computers*
where that point would lie*
sorry i'm multitasking.
>>
>>7929729
wtf lol hahahahahaha
>>
>>7929778
That's a problem with technology, not idea.
Do you not think quantum computers are possible?
>>
>>7929763
>> over 30 values at once
> 2016
> Doesn't know how quantum computers actually work.

You can't copy state in a quantum computer like you can in a regular computer. You also can't choose how the state collapses, you can only massage the probabilities and reason about them that way.

Pick up a good book on quantum computing, like Yanofsky and Manucci's Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists, or Nielsen and Chuang's Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. Then stop wasting people's time with shitposts about stuff you don't know about, and instead save people time with the knowledge that you've gained therein.
>>
>>7929781
the chemical potential energy in oil exceeds the amount of energy it takes to extract it because dinosaurs died for your reckless, consumerist sins in a sunlight-driven ecosystem.
>>
>>7929790
Ouch man. I couldn't really find anything that legitimately explained it, and how youw ould compute anything with it.
>>
>>7929612
>I don't have a clue so I'll just say random stuff that doesn't answer the question and hope noone notices
:^)
>>
>>7929790
*would
>>
>>7929813
Does anyone really understand quantum computing? It think it has to do with magnets.
>>
>>7929823
Anyone who claims to understand how quantum computers work on an intuitive level is full of crap because our brains don't even work that way. You just have to do the math, find a problem, arrange the quantum logic gates (which requires more nonintuitive math), input the problem, and wait for a solution and hope the power doesn't go out.
>>
>>7929835 So, how do you know you can't make a larger one within one? Where to find the no intuitive math? Would quantum virtual machines still have weird properties none the less?
>>
>>7929847
Entropy. I can't say this enough times... entropy entropy entropy. It applies to information too.
>>
>>7929851
Meaning?
>>
>>7929859
The explanation is really long and i'm kind of goofing off at work right now... but read about Maxwell's Demon. It should elucidate the relationship between thermodynamic entropy and information entropy to you. Quantum computers still have to abide by these laws because they exist in our universe.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.