[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Europa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: europa.jpg (463 KB, 913x913) Image search: [Google]
europa.jpg
463 KB, 913x913
What does /sci/ think about the recently approved mission to Europa? Do you think it might be a place colonies are set up in future?
>>
>>7929364

It's a frozen hell hole with a surface temperature ranging from -160 to -220 Celsius.
>>
>>7929364

We already have the Europa report
>>
>>7929398
take a heater
>>
>>7929625

Where are you going to get the energy to sustain it for any serious period of time?
>>
>>7929542
How likely are we to find space squid there?
>>
>>7929657
Life only exists on earth
>>
File: KFlAOmE.jpg (24 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
KFlAOmE.jpg
24 KB, 333x333
>>7929666
>>
File: AATWAYEEANLTUTTUTIP.jpg (129 KB, 590x238) Image search: [Google]
AATWAYEEANLTUTTUTIP.jpg
129 KB, 590x238
>>7929364

A Europa mission, specifically, would be a total loss of taxpayer money.
>>
>>7929657
i reckon there might be stuff similar to plankton. Would be cool to see
>>
>>7929702

but how about fish, sea greens, and protein from the sea?
>>
>>7929702
Can plankton eat humans? I'm scared.
>>
>>7929364

Europa would be a suicide mission for any human due to the absurd temperature.
>>
>>7929695
>worrying about short-term monetary losses

WEW LAD
E
W

L
A
D
>>
>>7929712
>>7929714
I have no clue desu, im just guessing the most simple sealife cos anything more complex would be so different from anything here on earth that it would be difficult to imagine. Maybe something equivalent to coral or jellyfish
>>
>>7929364
>What does /sci/ think about the recently approved mission to Europa?

A good step forward.

>Do you think it might be a place colonies are set up in future?

Eventually, but it'd be far more likely that an orbital station would be made first. Sulfuric acid can be a bitch on equipment, but work-arounds can't be that difficult..

>>7929398
>>7929637
Space is cold. We already have technology to deal with waste heat and insulate against cold/heat.

>Where are you going to get the energy to sustain it for any serious period of time?

It has sulfuric acid and water. I'm sure a heater using the exothermic reaction of combining both could be designed without too much trouble.

>>7929657
>>7929702
>>7929712
>>7929714
>>7929786
More likely, you'd find organism similar to the Hydrothermal Vents in our own oceans. There are organisms that use the high sulfur content as their ecosystem energy base. From there it is just an upward evolution. Since there's so much sulfuric acid on and in Europa there should be life using it.

However, I wouldn't think there'd be any higher organisms that resembled our hydrothermal vent creatures simply because many of our species were originally visitors from other ecosystems who were marooned in the hydrothermal vent systems and further evolved along with it. Since they originally developed someplace else, they have features you see that are also in other creatures that never visit hydrothermal vent systems. So, who knows that a creature from a hydrothermal vent system on Europa would even look like.
>>
>>7929364
>Do you think it might be a place colonies are set up in future?

The entire Jovian system is steeped in deadly cosmic radiation.
No humans will ever live there or visit there unless you want to get dead very quick.
>>
>>7929740

>not realizing that I'm not an anti-space faggot, but that I am pointing out that the monoliths would shoot any probe down before it could complete a basic science mission on Europa, thus comprising a total loss
>>
>>7929666
[citation needed]
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.