[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you agree with this question; automation i going to ravage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: ImHereForTheJobInterview.gif (3 MB, 932x522) Image search: [Google]
ImHereForTheJobInterview.gif
3 MB, 932x522
do you agree with this question; automation i going to ravage the job market over the next 2-3 decades, retail will be the first to go a the automated checkouts wipe out half maybe more of shot assistants, programs that can use programs will consign the office worker to the dustbin, and drones and driverless vehicles will destroy all transport related jobs, e.g. buses/trains, delivery drivers & couriers. Finally, cheap robots that can stack shelves overnight will mop up the last of retail, and you're looking at a shrinkage of what, 60%, 80? how will society deal with such upheaval?
>>
>>7929336
>how will society deal with such upheaval?

This shit's already been discussed to death.
Capitalism will suffer. Universal income will be established.
>>
>>7929347

Not with the current political climate.
>>
>>7929350
The political climate will inevitably change when the automation revolution comes. Common sense.
>>
No. People will buy more general food online. Any army of casual delivery drivers will be needed to deliver from the huge warehouses to homes. Shops will never lose shop-assistants because of theft problems. Shops will exist because shopping is a leisure activity.
Office workers will be dirrected onto more complex or more menial tasks, performance algorythms or call centering.
>>
>>7929353
Yeah right, when the roman empire was flooded with so many slaves that there were no aviable jobs they established a universal basic income
>>
>>7929357
>most retarded shit

They have already autoamted the checkpoints in my country while 1 person holds an eye.

6 replaced by 1
>>
>>7929336
Yes.

>>7929347
this if people are somehow intelligent or WWIII / Elysium if people are stupid enough

/thread
>>
>>7930260
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/many-retailers-are-rethinking-self-service-checkout-lanes/1182372

http://fortune.com/2015/10/20/cvs-self-check-out-stations/

http://www.telegram.com/article/20140126/NEWS/301269987
>>
File: no_party.gif (3 MB, 310x245) Image search: [Google]
no_party.gif
3 MB, 310x245
In which language(s) are the service robots written?
In which language(s) are the driverless car software written?
Are there any new such language on the rise?

I assume (hope?) people will not forever rely on general purpose languages made decades ago.
>>
>>7930275
>I assume (hope?) people will not forever rely on general purpose languages made decades ago.

Why not?
>>
>>7930283
because then we keep on using more and more toolboxes (think stuff like numpy and scipy for Python) with syntax close to the original language (made for complete different purposes, not close to the applications in mind)
>>
>>7930275
I believe we will stick with c and assembly until a new computer revolution.

C++ until a major collapse of the market. (if and when it will happen)
>>
>>7929369
Your proposed alternative is inviable. Because automation at such a large scale requires a lot of time and work, it cannot happen if it immediately starts causing problems. Either everything will get automated and people will be content, or automation won't happen and people will be content. Robots aren't going to build themselves just yet.
>>
>>7929347
>>7930269
this

>>7929369
Rome had free bread for all citizens which is similar
>>
>>7929369
>the roman empire was flooded with so many slaves that there were no aviable jobs they established a universal basic income

There was literally a grain dole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura_Annonae
>>
>>7929336
>ravage the job market

NEETs don't have this problem

I will inherit my parents home and enough cash to live the rest of my life in comfort

Ragie wagies :^)
>>
>>7930349
>Robots aren't going to build themselves just yet
That's probably one of the first things they'll be good at.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.