[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any parent functions other than f (x) = 0 e^x Sin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: waifubot.png (731 KB, 1104x1350) Image search: [Google]
waifubot.png
731 KB, 1104x1350
Are there any parent functions other than

f (x) =
e^x
Sin (x)
Cos (x)

That through deriving enough, you get back to the original function?
>>
Yes.

A linear combination of the functions you mentioned.

Also cosh and sinh (derivate twice to get back to the same).

Also, think about polynomials. You can set up a function for any n, such that when you differentiate a + bx^n + cx^(2n) + ..., n times, you get back the same function.
Whether or not the gained function is a linear combination of e^x, sinx, cosx, sinhx or coshx, is left as an exercise to the reader..
>>
>>7928915
Interesting! Looking at the hyperbolic trig functions, they seem to be linear combinations of e^x.
>>
>>7928937
as are cos x and sin x
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parent_function

mhm... , I've a PhD but never even heard of that concept. Is it something American like PEMDAS?
>>
Consider the diffenntial equation:

[eqn] f^{(n)}(t) = f(t)[/eqn]

Applying the Laplace transform gives
[eqn] s^n F(s) - \sum_{k=1}^{n} s^{n-k} f^{(k-1)}(0) = F(s) [/eqn]
[eqn] F(s) = \frac{\sum_{k=1}^{n} s^{n-k} f^{(k-1)}(0)}{s^n - 1} [/eqn]
Choose any values for [math]f^{(k-1)}(0) [/math] and transform back to get a functions whose n-th derivative is itself.
>>
>>7929079
Since the transform is linear this simplifies to linear combinations of the inverse Laplace transforms of s^m/(s^n-1) with 0<= m < n.

For a specific n this can be written in terms of e^at, the gamma function ,and the incomplete gamma function.

For n = 1,2,3 it simplifies to only linear combinations of the exponent function.
>>
>>7928905
Who keeps teaching that "deriving" is the word to use for differentiation? You all realize that "derive" already has a different meaning?
>>
>>7929253
Me
>>
>>7928962
Yeah, they make us learn like 7 parent functions in math class, which are ones like linear, exponential, quadratic, absolute value, ect. It's not really rigorous or anything
>>
Hyperbolic trig functions.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.