[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not another fucking climate change thread...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: deforestation.jpg (118 KB, 964x619) Image search: [Google]
deforestation.jpg
118 KB, 964x619
From what I've seen in many threads on this board, the majority of you accepts that there is climate change and the best we can do is to decelerate this trend.

So my question is:
are you aware that the rain forest helps to control the anthropogenic greenhouse effect? If so, did you know that you can passively influence the tropical deforestation that happens in order to cultivate crops? Did you know, that the vast majority of soy cultivated there is eaten by your food, i.e. cattle and other livestock? Wouldn't it be rational to minimize your consume on meat to help maintaining as much rain forest as possible, regardless of what you thinking about stupid inferior animals? I mean, even if you think that one person can't change anything, wouldn't it be a good thing to eat like 5kg/year of meat instead of 80kg/year just for the sake of more trees and less CO2?

I'm interested in your opinion.

>inb4 libfag pls leave, I'm a maths undergraduate
>>
File: GMO eucalyptus trees.jpg (505 KB, 630x1418) Image search: [Google]
GMO eucalyptus trees.jpg
505 KB, 630x1418
>>7928561
Check out Brazil's GMO eucalyptus trees. They grow super fast and are planted specifically for logging. It allows them to use far less land for logging.

Also, I raise my own chickens. That's the only meat I actually eat.
>>
>>7928561
I'm sure you can rile up all the vegan hate you want on >>>/ck/.
>>
>>7928561
Cant disagree. I have recently cut back meat due to dietary considerations. The fact is, meat is cheap. It is easy. It is quick to cook. The texture is unique. The flavour is unique. It is ubiquitous (kfc, M, b.king etc). Sheeple are very very very lazy.
Vegetables take a long time to prepare, they do not store easily requiring frequent shopping trips, the flavour range is small.

Frankly. Until there is a MAJOR oil crunch, restricting imports. We are stuck with meat.

(Source: i am old enough to remember when food was seasonal because of availability. Vegetables in summer, meat in winter. )
>>
>>7928579
this image is great
>>
The legalization of marijuana will help stop climate change.
>deforestation is a leading cause to climate change.
>hemp will be cheaper to produce and will replace all paper products.
>>
>>7928598
>Until there is a MAJOR oil crunch
hah. not gonna happen. it may take many more years, but renewables are reducing oil dependency and thus demand
>>
>>7928561
Current global politics are going into chaos and everything will be done in a decade or two, why care about something that minor in short term.
>>
>>7928561
>>7928579
Trees are only carbon neutral though. The CO2 they absorb from the atmosphere is returned in an equal amount when they decay. To offset the CO2 being added to the atmosphere by fossil fuel we'd have to grow tress then bury them deep underground in enormous quantities.
>>
>>7928711
depends on the forest type. some forests sequester CO2 by not decomposing completely and building up carbon-rich soil instead.
>>
>>7928561
Yes, i know this. It is, however, less compelling than bacon.
>>
Who the fuck eats 80kg of meat in a year? That's over 200 grams a day, how is that possible unless you eat a dinner centered around meat every single day?
>>
>>7928858

200 grams is tiny

I eat meat 3 times a weak and average well over 80kg per year

Feels good not being a manlet
>>
>>7928871

So each of those meals has almost 500 grams of meat in it? That's insane
>>
>>7928879

Well by 3 times I mean 3 days

I usually have the same thing for lunch and dinner, saves me cooking
>>
File: OCO-2.png (266 KB, 584x440) Image search: [Google]
OCO-2.png
266 KB, 584x440
>>7928561
>more trees and less CO2?
not really
>>
i think weed solves this problem
cuz ya know it cures cancer and shiet
>>
>>7928918
This is actually due to vegetation releasing CO2 after it starts to decay. Hence dead areas like deserts, very cold places, and plains have little CO2 compared to the hot, heavily forested areas.

If all the vegetation died and rotted, it'd release a massive amount of CO2 that may not be easily absorbed by the oceans.
>>
>>7928561
Yes, but people shit on logic because muh can't see past my nose

Fucking apes
>>
>>7928879
>yfw I sometimes eat 600grams of chicken for dinner
usually only 400grams though, although right now I'm too lazy to cook, so it's much less
>>
>>7929771
>can't see past my nose

This is one of the more disheartening and terrible things about interacting with other people.
>>
Not gonna read through the thread, but we should try to eliminate beef from the diet. Beef consumes way too much water per calorie and produces substantial methane. Soy has fantastic yield, but we don't have to all become vegetarians, because chicken and pork have great yield as well.
>>
>>7929863
Agreed, I die inside a little bit every time I'm talking to someone and it's clear that this is their world view
>>
File: bucky.jpg (274 KB, 900x889) Image search: [Google]
bucky.jpg
274 KB, 900x889
>>7928561
>I'm interested in your opinion.

Dome everything
Dome it all before it's too late
>>
>>7928711
What if we chop down trees and send it to the sun?
>>
It's a lot easier to change from fossil fuels to clean power than trying to stop the consumption of meat.
>>
>>7928711
Not unless you build things with the lumber, and then landfill it when you're done.
>>
>asking our opinion as if we have power to stop corporations from doing what they want
>>
>>7928858
I eat around 1.5-2 kilograms of meat a week, so 78-104 kg a year
>>
File: EHigTBS.png (657 KB, 610x612) Image search: [Google]
EHigTBS.png
657 KB, 610x612
Daily reminder that Hitler was a vegetarian.
You don't want to be like Hitler, do you?
>>
>>7928654
>hemp replacing paper products
>somehow stops deforestation

How exactly will this hemp be grown? It requires quite a bit of good farm land to grow, so it would mean replacing other crops or removing forests to free up land.

Replacing one thing with another is hardly every the solution, and instead we should look to diversify the ways in which we produce materials. No reason we can't keep tree derived paper products and also use hemp derived paper products. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
>>
File: Half Life.jpg (161 KB, 355x500) Image search: [Google]
Half Life.jpg
161 KB, 355x500
>thread about climate change
>30 replies, mostly productive and on topic
>still no invasion of unlabeled graphs from /pol/
pinch me, /sci/, I'm dreaming

but yeah, raising livestock for meat is a big factor. I look forward to the day when meat is mostly grown in vitro, increasing efficiency, reducing land use, and eliminating a lot of food-borne illness.
>>
>>7932470
Daily reminder that Hitler had used a fork.
You don't want to be like Hitler, do you?
>>
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet.

Cattle "farms" for mass production of beef are also very concentrated producers of methane gas. Just another reason to reduce beef consumption. These factory farms for beef should be banned and only small cattle farms should be allowed. This would lower the supply of beef, raising the price, and reduce peoples consumption.
>>
Carbon dioxide isn't a huge part of the atmosphere anyway. Water vapor is much more effective as a green house gas and it makes up a considerably larger amount of the atmosphere.
>>
>>7928918
This OCO-2 snapshot is from Oct/Nov, the drawdown of CO2 occurs a bit later in the season.

>>7932489
>I look forward to the day when meat is mostly grown in vitro, increasing efficiency, reducing land use, and eliminating a lot of food-borne illness.
A much more effective solution would be to switch over to insects as primary protein source. Grasshoppers taste rather nice if fried up and dipped in soy sauce.
>>
>>7932526

Water vapor persists in the atmosphere for days. CO2 persists for decades. That's why CO2 causes long term trends, and water just causes noise.
>>
>>7932470
no he wasn't

fuck off to /b/ where you belong
>>
>>7932526
Interestingly, water works both ways. It is one of the worst greenhouse gases, but it also blocks the sun heating up the earth in the first place.
>>
>>7928579
How big is that shit?
>>
>>7932662
In relation to what? Square area of land being used? Percentage of the Brazilian logging market it holds? The size of the trees?
>>
>>7932731
In square kilometers, I think. It seems they fell all the trees one by one, so it's a commercial operation and what's on image is probably only 10% of total land, which makes the whole thing fucking huge. I was wondering how huge. I mean shit, Brazil has forests bigger than my country.
>>
>>7932737
I can't find good numbers but there's millions of trees. Just test plots are 3,000km - 10,000km squared.
>>
>>7932737
I've been trying to find the plantations somewhere near "São Paulo" in Brazil, in google maps satellite, but no luck.
>>
>>7932520
I mentioned
>>7929938
>>
>>7932565
>no he wasn't
https://www.google.com/search?q=hitler+vegetarian

Also, don't we already have enough land cleared to raise the amount of beef we're accustomed to eating?
We should only have to clear new rain forest to accommodate NEW beef consumption.
Once again, it's the people having 6+ kids that ruin it for everybody.
>>
>>7928711
>we'd have to grow tress then bury them deep underground in enormous quantities.
Assholes who don't recycle do this for us already :)
>>
>>7932887
Well, this is certainly a backwards way of thinking.
>>
File: dE0cDZW.jpg (35 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
dE0cDZW.jpg
35 KB, 500x386
>>7932969
>Well, this is certainly a backwards way of thinking.
Which? The "Hitler was a vegetarian" thing, or the notion that human population *growth* in particular is responsible for *new* strains on the environment?
>>
>>7928579
Why is there blood in the second pic?
>>
>>7932986
We should cut back on beef consumption because it's bad. It's silly to say we should keep our beef consumption but all stop having kids.
>>
http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/2016/03/14/february-record-temperature/

>Shocking new data from NASA shows the temperature of Earth surged in January and February to the temperature targets set for the year 2100. The planet is now two degrees Celsius above the ‘normal’ mark – the point at which climate change becomes ‘dangerous’ to planet’s inhabitants.

Recent climate news is showing the earth is bascially fucked and we are far beyond the point of no-return, it's also been confirmed this week the GBR is in a mass beaching event, even in the most resilient parts of the reef they didn't expect it too happen.

How this news isn't front page of every media outlet is beyond me, we have entered a age of climate emergency
>>
>>7928561
>Wouldn't it be rational to minimize your consume on meat
yes, thats why i'm slowly becoming a vegetarian

my dad told me when i was 12 that "eating meat will be your generations smoking"
>>
>>7933011
>http://thenewdaily.com.au
>Confusing weather with climate
>the point of no-return
Stop.
>>
>>7933011
Ya we've known this. The Earth has officially left its natural carbon cycle for good. Fucking conservatives think this is an excuse to just keep on pumping in the CO2, cuz we can't stop it anyway. The truth is that although change will be unpredictable, we can influence the pace that it happens. If we slow our output, we will have a better chance adapting to new climate changes. Everybody do your goddam part. Eat less beef. Car pool. Use less a/c. Produce less garbage.

>>7933013
Bullshit, meat is plenty healthy. Just bad for the environment.
>>
File: LwrknkK.jpg (22 KB, 640x401) Image search: [Google]
LwrknkK.jpg
22 KB, 640x401
>>7933009
>We should cut back on beef consumption because it's bad. It's silly to say we should keep our beef consumption but all stop having kids.
It's silly to pretend population GROWTH isn't bad.

>cut back on beef consumption because it's bad.
OP's point in particular is about deforestation.
If human population wasn't growing, we wouldn't be cutting down the rain forest for NEW farmland.
>>
>>7933060
Rainforests can regenerate. Cutting back on meat will mean less of that land being used up, and provide a trend toward alternative protein sources for future generations. I'm not denying population growth has a burden, but a plan like yours literally has no future. We have to strive toward sustainability.
>>
>>7932541
There was a guy saying that bugs don't give the right protiens that humans should have because we evolved on a diet of mamal flesh.
>>
>>7933116
Pretty sure all animals that exist have a full amino acid profile. Harder to do with plant sources, but there's always based soybeans. Beans come close (just add rice).
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.