[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to live (what you would describe as) a satisfied/worthwhile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: TTC.jpg (405 KB, 1000x1534) Image search: [Google]
TTC.jpg
405 KB, 1000x1534
Is it possible to live (what you would describe as) a satisfied/worthwhile life without satisfying non-physically necessary evolutionary desires (so, not the desire to eat and breathe).

I have always felt the need for my father's love, approval/respect of other humans and a special someone's love (I'm guessing those are really the core of evolutionary desires?).

For reasons too detailed to explain, I will now be unable to have any of the above.

Do humans manage to live ok lives in solitude, provided that's something they have to deal with and not something they naturally want? How innate is our desire for company?

Should I an hero instead?
>>
>>7928511
They said that book was good, I read it, I understood nothing.
>>
File: 1442552438570.jpg (27 KB, 324x278) Image search: [Google]
1442552438570.jpg
27 KB, 324x278
>>7928511
>LOOK GUYZ I POSTED IT AGAIN
>>
>>7928511
>non-physically necessary evolutionary desires

You can usually find the things you need elsewhere from where you usually get them or feel that you should get them from
>>
Absolutely yes. I am a solitary individual and do not desire or need friends or family. I have a great life, freedom of thought and action and am never depressed while enjoying some of natures natural highs (sunrises, secluded valleys etc).
>>
File: screens_feature-38215.jpg (44 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
screens_feature-38215.jpg
44 KB, 450x338
One need only refine his desires and see what he truly desires afterwards. Follow your joys, do not feel held captive by your sorrows.

Such things as the admiration of those around you comes after such refinement. You will see that through experience one becomes independent and bold. You need only live as a powerful example and you shall be as a Shepard to his flock. Even though it is eternal and everlasting life is precious anon. Don't waste it.
>>
>>7928613
this plus lots of heroin
>>
>>7928613
I know solitary individuals exist so obviously that is possible.

But then some are born to live in solitude others have the compulsion of living in solitude entrusted upon them.

>Do humans manage to live ok lives in solitude, provided that's something they have to deal with and not something they naturally want?

There are enough examples of buddhist monks who enjoy meditating alone, my question is more along the lines of:

If you revamped the prison system to have all inmates educated by a Buddhist doctrine and have them forced into solitary confinement with a supply of buddhist audio lectures and books, would they turn out okay or would they lose their minds provided these are inmates who would normally lose their minds in solitary confinement minus the meditation and books.
>>
>>7928682
Doesn't take a /sci/ientist to tell you that hard drugs are bad.
>>
>>7928676
Is this a troll or do you naturally sound this fedora? Not a bad post otherwise.
>>
>>7928734
If you want to associate contentment and mental mastery with neckbeards that's your philosophy man
>>
>>7928511
On a related note, do you think man would turn out happier if he had the option of now (given that we have so much food and healthcare) reverting to being a non-social animal?

This is provided that those individuals who are succesful and contribute to society (doctors and scientists) can still feel pride and hence have incentives to do things for humanity.

On a related note, I know researchers in medecine do what they do to help people (if not more money and fame) to what extent to scientists actually desire to contribute to society through their discoveries, if only in terms of feeling like they are helping humanity by broadening its realm of knowledge if not making immediately helpful achievements, does anyone think that way or is it mainly money power bitches and curiosity in science too?
>>
>>7928511
Explain the reasons.
>>
>>7928511
Some good answers above, I'll add two things: research tends to show that good relationships and social support structures promote better health outcomes in later life.

Personally, as I get older, I feel less inclined to seek out people. I'm not at all ASD, just seem more drawn to silence, nature, music, etc, as I pass middle age.
>>
>>7928511
No. You can't replace the brain activity caused by conversation and you can't replicate the feeling of human bonding. Some people are naturally asocial but everyone benefits from socializing to some extent.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.