[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>winter is December, January and February in the northern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: s-l1600.jpg (54 KB, 808x800) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
54 KB, 808x800
>winter is December, January and February in the northern hemisphere, isn't it? (it's the opposite for me, dec/jan/feb is summer)

What the fuck. Someone posted this on the Pokemon board. I doubt I went all my life without realizing that in Canada winter is December January February. But in the Southern hemisphere December is Summer.

Is that true? Am I retarded? How do seasons work?
>>
>>7926373
>How does the planet's tilt work.
Yes, you are a retard.
>>
>>7926380
Sorry dude I just forgot some basic stuff. Help me remember.

The earth rotates about an axis, but the axis also rotates.

Is it because the axis rotates that we have season or the oval orbit of the Earth?

When it's winter at one point on the sphere, is it summer on the opposite point?
>>
>>7926392
The Earth rotates around the Sun. The axis does not rotate.

The seasons line up with the different parts of the year because the tilt does not rotate (in some time periods the tilt will expose some part of the planet to the Sun more often than in other time periods).

Look at one of those moving models of the planets orbiting the Sun and pay attention to the tilt.
>>
>>7926392
No axial tilt has no affect whatsoever on seasons. Seasons depend on earth's distance from the sun. Note earth has a elliptical orbit so earth is closer to the sun at certain times and farther at the other times and those times correspond to the seasons. The myth that tilt causes seasons has been proven false by Kepler hundreds of years ago. Anyone who denies this is a shill.
>>
>>7926429
>The axis does not rotate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_precession
The cycle is 26k years long, though.
>>
>>7926432
The Earth's seasons aren't caused by the distance from the Sun you myth-perpetuating shill.
>>
File: hoopskirt.webm (95 KB, 442x492) Image search: [Google]
hoopskirt.webm
95 KB, 442x492
>>7926373
>>winter is December, January and February
>winter is December January February

Winter in the northern hemisphere begins on the winter solstice, about December 21st, and runs through the vernal equinox, March 20th or so.
So most of December is fall, not winter, and most of March is winter, not spring.

>>7926432
>No axial tilt has no affect whatsoever on seasons.
That's just wrong.
If it were true, Australia and Canada would have winter at the same time, and they just don't.
>>
File: noon_utc.jpg (45 KB, 912x456) Image search: [Google]
noon_utc.jpg
45 KB, 912x456
>>7926432
>those times correspond to the seasons
True, but probably not how you think it does:
Aphelion is in early July (northern summer)
Perihelion is in early January (southern summer)
Southern hemisphere gets more solar radiation (about 7% IIRC)
>>
>>7926373
http://www.solarsystemscope.com/
Direct light = hotter.
Shit aint complicated
>>
Well guys.

I'm more confused than when I started.

I'll try google answers. Maybe a nasa for kids page.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.