[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What broad and specific faults can you point out in this tech tree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: techtree.jpg (680 KB, 4976x619) Image search: [Google]
techtree.jpg
680 KB, 4976x619
What broad and specific faults can you point out in this tech tree?
>>
>>7925362
Which civ is that?
>>
>>7925371
Civ 4.
>>
>>7925362
Radio had nothing to do with computers
Astronomy should come much earlier before mathematics, it's pretty much the reason why mathematics was developed. That and measuring your land.
>>
>>7925380
There's a lot of general inaccuracies, just like in civ5, but it depends a lot on the kind of technologies each tech enables. For example, physics in civ4 enables airships but physics is a lot older than chemistry and allowed for a lot more things than that. The names themselves aren't supposed to be taken to heart, the tree itself should be taken as an outline of progression, if you examine it individually, there are way too many historical and scientific errors both in this and the civ5 tree.
>>
>>7925394
>physics in civ4 enables airships but physics is a lot older than chemistry and allowed for a lot more things than that.
It's probably very reductionist by necessity, but what are the most glaring outright falsehoods?
>>
>>7925433

As I said, the whole tree has too many to list.

If you consider the arrows leading to later techs as derivations from previous techs there are problems. For example, Superconductors have nothing to do with genetics. Communism has nothing to do with the scientific method.

If, rather, you consider the tree as a timeline of technologies, it still has glaring inaccuracies. Democracy should be a lot earlier, as should the scientific method be, along with all the other sciences. Examining it more would reveal a lot more inaccuracies, but you get the general idea.
>>
>>7925391
Radio had everything to do with computers. Vacuum tubes were developed to magnify received signals.

Eniac was made with over 17k vacuum tubes.

Research lead to transistors to replace vacuum tubes and then the integrated circuit was invented. As a functioning element, the transistor has it's birth in radio.
>>
>>7925609
>You need vacuum tubes to build a computer
May I remind you that the Analytical Engine was Turing-complete.
>>
>>7925609
>Vacuum tubes were developed to magnify received signals.
>>
>>7925613
>>You need vacuum tubes to build a computer

I did not make this claim. However, Eniac was 1000x faster than it's electro/mechanical predecessors. My point is that the technology developed for radio had a direct impact on the development of the modern computer.
>>
>astronomy doesn't require optics
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.