[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
diybio ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: tmp_1348-images-1488069879.jpg (3 KB, 137x103) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1348-images-1488069879.jpg
3 KB, 137x103
I'm fascinated by the idea of biohacking, diybio. I have never studied bio on pro level, but I have some general knowledge about it and I have a basic set of lab tools and a microscope. What projects would be ideal to start with? I am interested in safe and legal stuffs only.
>>
>>7925053
put your semen in a chicken egg
>>
>>7925055
this. it might only work if you're russian tho
>>
File: proofs.jpg (50 KB, 576x463) Image search: [Google]
proofs.jpg
50 KB, 576x463
>>7925068
>>
>>7925053
I'd start by taking every related course on edx and coursera.
>>
>>7925055
>>7925068
top fucking kek

>>7925053
>I have never studied bio on pro level
That is a big problem, you can't just jump in. I recommend >>7925148 above all else. Know what you're doing.
>>
>>7925053

Try simple "experiments" first i.e. High school stuff. I would avoid the popular diy bio stuff around genetics, very fiddly and pricey. A microscope is a very handy tool. Try some simple cell-biology experiments with your microscope and build on from there maybe.
>>
Try culturing some algae. Maybe you can purify some sweet ass cyanotoxins or something.
>>
>>7927249

Pretty good idea, some institutes make good money purifying algal toxins I think. Might be a bit tricky obtaining a pure culture of a toxic strain and then how would you obtain the toxins from that with basic equipment. Also, ethics as the toxins can be potentially lethal and may be a target from the law?

I've been wanting to try some of the methods listed in this link:

http://hackteria.org/wiki/index.php/Algae_Culture_at_Home
>>
try growing medicinal or edible mushrooms at home.
>>
first tell us what tools you have available

basic things you need for diy molecular bio:
temperature controlled space (doesn't have to be flawless, but it should hold within a few degrees indefinitely)
freezer
fridge
micro-centrifuge
something to deliver defined volumes with. it doesn't have to be variable, if you can figure out a way to reliably measure 1 uL and 1 mL that's honestly 90% of what you'll need
pressure cooker
tubes and bottles
lots of bags for waste
ingredients for common buffers, broths, salts

and of course, the chemical and biological reagents you'll need for whatever project you want to try
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.