[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Beautiful equations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot-1.png (16 KB, 678x65) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1.png
16 KB, 678x65
ITT: Beautiful equations
>>
>>7922610
What does it mean? I guess Aut(G) implies G is some algebraic structure, probably a group. and M might be a moduli space.

Thats my best guess.
>>
>>7922670
Automorphism group.
Self isomorphisms, they all have inverses. So Aut(g) is always a group no matter what object you are working with. For example G could be a set, a tolopogical space, a differential structure, a group, ring, feild or vector space.

The cool thing is you can look at a automorphism group and get some nice group theory out of anything you can define an isomorphism for.
>>
>>7922670
Aut(G) is the autism group.
>>
>>7922790
he obviously knows that, it's how he was able to deduce that G is some algebraic structure
and he's right, G usually is a group
he's right about the moduli spaces too, the subscript on a moduli space represents moduli stacks of stable curves of genus g with n marked points
i don't know what the bar means

this is definitely some fucked up research number theory
i'd start with faber's papers, and then try looking through some of mumford's stuff
>>
>>7923359
the bar means compactification, in this case probably the deligne-mumford compactification

i don't think it's number theoretic at all, more in the realm of complex geometry, the things in square brackets [] are probably homology classes since 'virt' usually means to take the virtual class
>>
>>7922610
Looks like the mackey formula applied but I'm a representation theory noob so I barely know what that is. Frigging algebraists with their bizarre and inconsistent notations.
>>
File: damn.png (32 KB, 784x672) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
32 KB, 784x672
looks like a poma paper to me
here's a bit of her work
>>
[eqn]\mathcal{L}_{\mathrm{QED}} = \overline{\psi} (i \gamma^\mu D_\mu - m) \psi - \frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}[/eqn]
>inb4 feynman memes
>>
File: buss.jpg (63 KB, 570x600) Image search: [Google]
buss.jpg
63 KB, 570x600
can somebody find the paper the OP equation is from
i've been looking for an hour and i can't find it
>>
File: euler-identity.png (155 KB, 2592x1620) Image search: [Google]
euler-identity.png
155 KB, 2592x1620
>>
>>7922610
Beautiful things shouldn't have such convoluted notations.
>>
>>7923653
have you even seen old mathematics notation
everybody had their own set of notation and they would spend a good three or four pages explaining what their shitty system of underscores and lines of vertical dots meant
i'm not sure when notation became standardized but i do know it was a relatively recent thing

tl;dr beauty transcends appearance
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.