[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What's the difference between Computer Science and Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: 136307.gif (239 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
136307.gif
239 KB, 400x308
>What's the difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering? I want to work in the field of Cyber Security so which one would be the best option?
I'm new to this board so no bully please.
>>
File: cs.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cs.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>
>>7921039
neither desu. find a school with a cybersecurity program or go to a coder bootcamp, get the IT certs.

but this is more of a /g/ question
>>
>>7921039
between those two computer science. CompE is electrical engineering with a bit of programming. but see >>7921046
>>
>>7921039
Network Security or Info Security will push you in the right direction
>>
>>7921039
CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others
>>
>>7921039
>I want to work in the field of Cyber Security

If you want to reset that one idiot's password everyday since she refuses to memorize it: IT
If you want to code login pages in Ruby on Rails or PHP: CS
If you want to harden devices from side channel attacks: EE/CpE
If you want to make ciphers: you're not going to make ciphers without a PhD and even then you're probably not going to make ciphers that anyone in their right mind will use
>>
>>7921913
>feeling original and informative for posting the "watered down" copypasta
>>
>>7921913
Don't listen to this guy, CS degrees vary depending where you go. At my school its pretty intense, easily just as hard as engineering. But I go to an Ivy league so....
>>
>>7921913
Where is the university where the classes/courses are so "watered down" and "pathetic"? What do these courses exactly contain that makes them so bad?
>>
>>7921913
So you're sayin...

CS is for smart people who want to make bank with practical solutions and work at Google

and

CE/EE is for autistic sperglords who want to circlejerk over their phase-locked loops and timing circuits while the Chinese take their jobs
>>
>>7921913
i would believe that CS is a more rigorous practice than whatever you are familiar with
>>
>>7921913
This guy knows his shit. As a CS major I vouch for this post
>>
>>7922349
Speak for yourself, where I go the CS program is just as rigorous as engin.
>>
>>7922354

At my school CompE has 25% more courses each year, while taking most of CS's important courses (like Data structures, algorithms, OS, Computational complexity) and an extra year, cs undergrads can hardly use integrals, have no idea what diffrential equations are, hardly touch any transforms at all, maybe if you're lucky your algorithms class will use Fourier transform bases in FFT, no control, no signals, no hardware other than one shitty course. Because of this hardly any students at CS are prepared for the non internet courses, so no vision, no machine learning, no AI, they probably cant even handle the shitty game graphics course.

Beyond that my school allows the compE specialization at the 4th year and part of the third to be CS related rather than HW, so CompE ends up being superior in each and every way.

At least in my school, CS really is the Wrong answer for any question.
>>
>>7922484
>no vision, no machine learning, no AI, they probably cant even handle the shitty game graphics course.

These aren't really computer science.
>>
>>7921039
CE is sort of like the EE of computers. You just won't have to deal with really low-level shit like analog behavior of transistors.

>>7921046
This.
>>
>>7921039
Go to /adv/ faggot. You should have read the sticky
>>
>>7922484
Yeah I've heard that CS is a joke at most places. Over here it seems to be pretty good. Many end up working for jewgle and the like.
>>
>>7922718
Well, yeah, most degrees are a joke at most places. Only at the Ivies and good state unis can you expect to go into the field you're studying.
>>
>>7922728
>Only at the Ivies
Agreed, Brown here. I was actually thinking about doing EE but I soon found myself only enjoying my CS classes, plus the engineering here sucks. Plus I sucked at physics since I skipped the entirety of my high school senior year. I really need to get my act together
>>
File: CS.png (886 KB, 1170x500) Image search: [Google]
CS.png
886 KB, 1170x500
>>7922191
>What do these courses exactly contain that makes them so bad

Every class is one credit worth of material dragged out to fill a 4 credit course. Anything that requires calculus or analysis has been stripped out and side stepped to the point most cs majors believe calculus is useless for their major.
>>
File: CHINESE CARTOONS LAUGH AT YOU.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
CHINESE CARTOONS LAUGH AT YOU.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>7922354
>CS program is just as rigorous as engin
>>7922167
>At my school its pretty intense, easily just as hard as engineering
>>
>>7923402
I don't go to some shit school kid, CS is taught well in some places. There is a reason CS grads make more for Engin grads when they come out of elite schools
>>
>>7923533
>CS is taught well in some places

CS at even the best of schools is garbage.

>CS grads make more

There is a difference between job titles and undergrad degrees. Just because a job title has the word "computer"/"software"/"programming" in it doesn't mean it will go to a CS major, often they will go to engineers or other STEM majors.
>>
File: The truth about CS.png (89 KB, 1155x409) Image search: [Google]
The truth about CS.png
89 KB, 1155x409
>>7922345

It really isn't. When CS majors say their courses are very theoretical/mathematical, it is always a gross exaggeration.
>>
Hello Anon,

I am an Information Security / Cybersecurity student myself!

Go for CS. There's no reason for you to waste time on the sciences unless you really want to deal with the more theoretical aspect of security, which is almost entirely CS-based.

Security jobs have a wide spectrum, but almost none of them require you to know any advanced mathematics.

You should really look further into the field and see the kinds of jobs people get and what those jobs require before picking a degree program and before jumping into a major just because you heard about cybersecurity in the news.
>>
>>7923550
>CS at even the best of schools is garbage

Nope

>There is a difference between job titles and undergrad degrees. Just because a job title has the word "computer"/"software"/"programming" in it doesn't mean it will go to a CS major, often they will go to engineers or other STEM majors

Oh really? I have plenty of CS friends who are being hired by google, Microsoft, and other big companies. Can't say the same for those in engineering. I agree that CS is a shit degree in most places, but claiming is shit everywhere just makes you look salty and envious.
>>
File: c&p.jpg (214 KB, 1008x1323) Image search: [Google]
c&p.jpg
214 KB, 1008x1323
>>7922333
>with practical solutions

... cut and pasted from stack overflow which they don't understand in the slightest.
>>
>>7923646

Show me one good school for cs, I dare you. MIT, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell, Yale, etc are jokes.
>>
>>7923658
>MIT, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell, Yale, etc are jokes

I heard Yale is a joke, the others are not. Brown is good, which is where I go.
>>
If you go to an okay okayish school, do NOT go into CS. I go to a CSU and the people in my classes are legit retards and mostly cringe worthy. I hate everyone, the classes are easy as fuck. Students can't seem to grasp simple programming concepts that a fucking five year old should be able to understand. The professors truly lower the course difficulty level. It's all around horrible, I switched out of CS because it was such an awful experience. At the end of the junior year, had a 3.98. Hopefully transferring to berkeley soon
>>
>>7923682
Come to Brown
>>
>>7923662
>Brown is good

>>https://cs.brown.edu/degrees/undergrad/concentrations/scb_reqs/
>One introductory course sequence is required:
Object-Oriented Programming and Computer Science [Java]
Algorithms and Data Structures

>>Three intermediate courses must be taken, of which one must be math-oriented and one must be systems-oriented:
>math-oriented
Discrete Structures and Probability
Models of Computation
>systems-oriented
Software Engineering
Computer System

>>Eight advanced courses in computer science or related areas are require
>Five of the eight courses must be computer science courses.
>Among the eight courses may be approved courses in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Biology, Engineering, Economics, Music, Cognitive and Linguistic Science, Neuroscience, and other departments that cover material relevant to the student's concentration.
>one must be a theoretical computer science course
Combinatorial Optimization
Cryptography and Computer Security
Probabilistic Methods in Computer Science
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Computational Complexity
Multiprocessor Synchronization
Computational Topology
Computational Geometry
Algorithmic Foundations of Computational Biology
Logic for Systems

>a second must be an artificial intelligence course
Applied Artifical Intelligence
Machine Learning
Computer Vision
Probability and Computing
Computational Linguistics
Building Intelligent Robots
Combinatorial Optimization
Information Retrieval and Web Search

>and a third must be a computer science systems course
Comp Graphics
Compilers
Database Management Systems
Computational Photography
Designing, Developing and Evaluating User Interfaces
Fundamentals of Computer Systems
Creating Modern Web Apps
Innovating Game Development
Distributed Computer Systems
Real-time and Embedded Software
Building High-Performance Servers
Computer Systems Security
Operating Systems
Computer Networks
Programming Languages
Startups
Topics in Data Science

God fucking damn that is shit.
>>
>>7923712
How? The courses are very challenging, not the typical shit you see at state schools. Our salaries prove it, again I ask, why so salty anon?
>>
>>7923770
>The courses are very challenging

For an idiot.

>not the typical shit you see at state schools

I've seen state schools that are better than that. They don't even absolutely require an algorithm design course or computer architecture course nor do they go beyond a few lectures of bare basic probability (iff you take DS) and not to mention there's no linear algebra requirement. It's shockingly bad.

>Our salaries prove it

Electricians and plumbers make good money too but trade schools aren't better programs than EE or ChemE.
>>
>>7923815
Its amazing how salty you are. Let me guess, you studied engin and a state school and now you regret not doing CS at a good school
>>
File: JGFiK.jpg (33 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
JGFiK.jpg
33 KB, 333x500
>>7923825
>salty

Dude, lay off the drugs man. You can go through life constantly tripping out.
>>
>>7923837
I'm not black I don't do drugs
>>
>>7923839
But you're Brown.
>>
File: 1386023240751.png (3 KB, 209x214) Image search: [Google]
1386023240751.png
3 KB, 209x214
>>7923847
You cheeky cunt
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.