[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trolley problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1457549724325.jpg (82 KB, 506x632) Image search: [Google]
1457549724325.jpg
82 KB, 506x632
could this solve it?
if we take the initial premise of an unmanned maintenance trolley careering down a hill, would derailment be a viable third option?
I accept it doesn't apply to the fat man version.
>>
>>7920434
The only legal option is to do nothing. Get involved and you are guilty of murder
>>
Ethics is aesthetics.

So it doesn't count.
>>
I assume that the derailment would halt the trolley before it could cause any deaths
>>7920470
let's say a man heavily infected with advanced ebola agitatedly tries to get on a bus full of people.
the only way to prevent him getting on is by killing him.
let's assume you alone are wearing a full hazmat suit to remove self defence from the equation.
what is legal...
Are you guilty of murder by giving a man condemned to a horrible death a swift end?
Are you guilty of murder knowingly allowing dozens of people and the people they could meet to contract a horrible illness and die?
>>
The results matter. If you take the action with least deathtoll, then its the right thing to do. Its not really up to discussion unless you support more deaths
>>
>>7920434
You switch it, every time.
>>
>>7920552
Self defense laws are applicable if you're defending other people though, aren't they?
>>
>>7920552
Ebola's death rate with treatment is somewhere around 25% so it's no death sentence to the people infected, but causative ethics is the best normative ethics so I'd consider doing it still. Part of the reason ebola had high death rates in the past is subsaharan africa being underdeveloped and having wars.
>>7920592
>>7920599
Very few pro philosophers argue for the situation with more deaths. It is a pretty crappy dillema, other than as a way to illustrate that people react to moral dillemas differently when they are phrased differently.
>>
>>7920599
>>7920592
Every person who dies because of starvation, you COULD have sent them food. Every person who dies from exposure of being homeless, you COULD have bought them an apartment. If somebody dies of a violent crime, you COULD have gone to that location to check up on them and defend them.

If you equate "inaction" to being "responsible for murder", then every human on Earth is guilty of several thousand murders a day.

The most ethical answer is to do nothing
>>
Letting die>killing
>>
apply nash equilibrium
then mow down group you like least
>>
>>7920617
It's not called a self defense law, it's called good Samaritan law. Some states are cool with it some aren't. A lot of northern states will put you in jail if you shoot he guy robbing your neighbors house. I own a shotgun for my protection but I can't put in a slug and nail the dude down the street firing at bystanders.
>>
File: 1457549680418.png (89 KB, 1042x804) Image search: [Google]
1457549680418.png
89 KB, 1042x804
>>7920434
cool plebeian dilemma bro
>>
File: 1451336518250.png (271 KB, 1914x828) Image search: [Google]
1451336518250.png
271 KB, 1914x828
>>
>>7921933
>Cartesian demon
Fucking dropped. Come back when you found me a curvilinear one.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.