[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hate it when engineering students refer to themselves as engineers...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: engineering-qa.jpg (19 KB, 451x267) Image search: [Google]
engineering-qa.jpg
19 KB, 451x267
I hate it when engineering students refer to themselves as engineers...
Like you don't see med students calling themselves doctors or arts students calling themselves unemployed.
>>
Or physics students calling themselves physicists, or math students mathematicians, or computer scientists calling themselves scientists.
>>
Most math majors don't become mathematicians

Most physics majors don't become physicists

Most engineering major become engineers. Likely because it's such a straight forward career path.
>>
File: 1453958426550.png (104 KB, 541x530) Image search: [Google]
1453958426550.png
104 KB, 541x530
>>7920401
I know this might be a completely foreign idea to math majors, being that it involves gainful employment and everything, but most engineering students take engineering internships while they're still in school! Wow! Would you imagine that?
>>
>>7920456
>physisists

You mean physitians
>>
>>7920472
a physicist is a person who studies physics
a PHYSICIAN not "physitian" is a doctor.
>>
My physics professor said to us "you are physicists and chemists and engineers if you are practicing in those fields. You just arent very good at it yet."
>>
>>7920401
Nice reddit repost you neckbeard
>>
>>7920456
>Most engineering major become engineers.
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is what the morons actually believe ffs sake you killed. I did the quick google search and this was the first thing I found, still I heard the number somewhere else so you go look for other sources if you want.

>http://www.nspe.org/resources/blogs/pe-licensing-blog/80-myth-engineering-profession

Only about 20% of engineering graduates actually go on to become Professional Engineers? You know what that is right?

If you are not a PE then good luck getting any other engineering job different from CAD monkeying, calculation monkeying or basic design monkeying.

In fact, if you want to be in charge of anything in the engineering industry, you need a PE and most of you won't. The requirements are pretty similar to getting a PhD in math or physics. You need to work 4 years under a PE and then pass a set of tests to be qualified.

So most engineering graduates don't become engineers

>B-BUT MY JOB TITLE IS ENGINEER

And the job title of that physics graduate in that university is physicist but he still only does calcualtion monkeying, modelling monkeying and lab instrument monkeying. Nothing close to what a real physicists does.

I believe that about 99% of /sci/ engineers got BTFO because I don't find it hard to believe that you are not the only moron that believes the
>ENGINEER IS AN EASY CAREER PATH XD
meme.
>>
You're an Australian shitposter aren't you?
>>
>>7920509
TRIGGERED
>>
>>7920539
Getting a PE really depends on the field. A PE is pretty much required in civil to do anything, but not a lot of people get it in chemical engineering. I do agree that engineering students shouldn't call themselves engineers. Where I live a person who graduates from engineering is a engineering graduate and not an engineer.
>>
>>7920761
PE or otherwise, getting an actual engineering job isn't common even for graduates.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ospe.on.ca/resource/resmgr/DOC_advocacy/2015_REPORT_Underemployment_.pdf

Canadian data, but point remains that getting an engineering job with an engineering degree is difficult and not guaranteed (law of all field has its graduate twice as likely to get a job in their field).
>>
>>7920539
Getting a P.E. only really matters for civil engineers desu
>>
>>7920401
Where is this common? When I was in engineering school I don't recall ever hearing a student call themselves an engineer.

>>7920785
One of my friends earned two engineering degrees from Canadian universities. She is now a hiking guide but that's because she sucked at applying her education to actual real world tasks. As a woman she had companies falling over each other trying to hire her but after three quick flameouts, even the diversity police decided she should be blacklisted.
>>
>>7920859

Which engineering degrees?
>>
>>7920893
Civil and I think the other one was mechanical. She might have intentionally have tanked the first job because she hated Fort Mac but the second and third jobs were fuck ups that you'd expect from an intern.
>>
File: citation-needed.png (552 B, 163x96) Image search: [Google]
citation-needed.png
552 B, 163x96
>>7920456
>Most ____ majors
most /sci/ posters don't know fuck-all
>>
To be honest, more than 80% of the people who are in STEM actually have no fucking idea about their field and mostly won't do things you imagine someone of that field would do. They all just try to pass all their exams and get their paper when they graduate in order to get a well payed job. I'm speaking from experience here. I'm one of them.

And you know what? There is absolutely no problem with that. In the end we all need to live off something. And that's money.

You don't learn shit in universities actually. Unless you're not going into academica or research, half of the things you learn at unis are fucking useless. But somehow people must be sperated nowdays or else any fucking retard could become a 'well payed engineer'.
>>
>>7920456
The key phrase is still "become engineers." Become is in the future tense. The dumbass freshman taking linear algebra is not an engineer.
>>
I passed Differential Equations and have an associate's degree in Math. Can I call myself a Mathematician?
>>
>>7920401
>or arts students calling themselves unemployed.

I kek'd.
>>
>>7920401
Like this joke isn't posted to the Yik Yak feed of every college with an engineering department every month or so.
>>
>>7920401
"I'm an engineering major" is three syllables more than just saying "I'm an engineer" and you being able to imply that I'm a student because I'm in class with you and you don't have autism.
>>
>>7922666
"I'm retarded" is shorter than "I'm not retarded," and people can probably infer what you mean if they don't have autism, right?
>>
>>7922690
Now you got it!
>>
File: images_copy.jpg (14 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
images_copy.jpg
14 KB, 239x211
Nice meme op, try reposting thus on Facebook instead
>>
File: 1337081992433.png (19 KB, 450x532) Image search: [Google]
1337081992433.png
19 KB, 450x532
>/sci/ - Autism and Semantics
>>
>>7920806

..or electrical or mechanical engineers who work at a civil engineering firms.
>>
>>7920539
>The requirements are pretty similar to getting a PhD in math or physics. You need to work 4 years under a PE and then pass a set of tests to be qualified.
If you think this equates to getting a PhD in math or physics you are deluded. How much original research do you do in that 4 year internship with a PE? I'll answer that for you: absolutely none.
>>
the point of the JOKE(stupid century old repost) is that art majors end up jobless. It's not even about the engineers you autists.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.