[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is McKenna's stoned ape theory bullshit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: terence-mckenna-stoned-apes1.jpg (345 KB, 750x380) Image search: [Google]
terence-mckenna-stoned-apes1.jpg
345 KB, 750x380
Is McKenna's stoned ape theory bullshit?
>>
>>7919559
What would make you think this had any validity?
>>
DUDE LSD LMAO
>>
The stoned ape theory is stupid because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the evolutionary process. The theory is pretty much claiming that exposure to psychoactive substances caused physical changes which were then passed on to offspring, which is impossible. Enhanced vocal cords and communication centers in the brain helped create spoken language, not some shrooms
>>
>>7919661
>implying Lamarck wasn't right all along
>>
>>7919661
Psychoactive substanves caused mutation in offspring, which is plausible
>>
Fractal timewave was the physics discovery of the century
>>
File: Chosen_one_bait.png (40 KB, 380x378) Image search: [Google]
Chosen_one_bait.png
40 KB, 380x378
>>7919559
>>
>>7919661
I don't think that is his theory, so why don't you calm down for now

I believe mckenna thinks humans who took psychedelics, stimulants, and anxiolytics were selected, while those who didn't weren't. And that we are thus a druggie species. I am sure this applies to alcohol and stimulants in a sense, that humans have an easy time with alcohol and caffeine for example, but I don't have put much thought into the whole psychedelics selection yet
>>
>>7919874
No, that's not plausible.
>>
>>7919559

For the posters in this thread, I believe his theory comes from some receptors in the brain that seem to hold no purpose other than to receive external psycho-active chemicals

I have not confirmed this and will not bother, but if you'd like to, have at it
>>
>>7919991
I wouldn't say it's pharmacology, but one of the cutest things we did was to make azetidine analogs of LSD: using the diethylamide, we took a carbon and hooked the two ethyls of LSD together and that gave us a dimethylazetidine. We had the methyls on the same side of that four-membered ring or on the opposite sides, either with R,R or S,S stereochemistry, showing that it was just one of those that was most like LSD. This proved that with LSD, when the diethylamide binds, those diethyl groups bind in a specific way. Then we modeled it, and we did mutagenesis of the receptor--and we haven't published this yet--and found that leucine 229 in extracellular loop 2 was the thing that interacted with that diethyl amide. The fact that the receptor has evolved specifically to be complementary to LSD, that is interesting.

>The fact that the receptor has evolved specifically to be complementary to LSD, that is interesting.
https://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/nichols_david/nichols_david_interview1.shtml
>>
File: stoned_ape.jpg (101 KB, 486x484) Image search: [Google]
stoned_ape.jpg
101 KB, 486x484
>>7920010

> ayy

This is where shit gets interesting

Why them receptors there ?
>>
>>7919970
Introducing foreign substances into the body always has a chance of causing mutation
>>
>>7919661
That's not his theory actually.
>>
File: stonedape.jpg (155 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
stonedape.jpg
155 KB, 640x640
>>7919559
>stoned ape theory
actually hypothesis
• psilocybin confers improved vision and attention
• improved nutrition as a result
• greater mating opportunity as a result
• more genetic diversity, more rapid evolution
• selection for intellect and aesthetic
not the worst of all possible hypotheses, but finding evidence to support it is a problem
>>
>>7919661
Stop calling it a theory unless it was published in scientific paper.
Following your logic every teenager stoner group should be considered researches in field.
>>
>>7920360
It also lead to a more unproductive behavior, to a higher chance of actually dying.
>>
>>7920365
Stop calling it a theory if it is just a published hypothesis. Following your logic every sociology/economics/stoner group should be considered scientists in field.
>>
>>7920360
•whoah
•I didn't
•realize
•we could
•use bullet
>>7919559
McKenna's idea's aren't even taken seriously by academic philosophers. let that tell you where his ideas stand among intellectuals.
>>
>>7920380
>Stop calling it a theory if it is just a published hypothesis.
THIS
I would think /sci/ of all places would understand the difference between an "idea" and a "THEORY".
>>
>>7920232
Your case of FAS is not proof of this.
>>
>>7920373
>unproductive behavior
not part of the hypothesis, try to focus
>>
>>7921248
>not part of the hypothesis
That's the point, idiot. Put down the bong and try to use your brain for a second.
>>
>>7920807
jesus m8

i laughed

I always assumed that the Stoned Ape theory was less of a genuine belief and more something interesting and fun to think about. Imagine the feeling of being on psychedelics from the perspective of a non-human animal.
>>
File: for your consideration.jpg (11 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
for your consideration.jpg
11 KB, 205x246
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tlF3kGbT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmnzIhbX2bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwQ0ZiTYkQ
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.