[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a spaceship is traveling in a circle overhead at 90% speed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: t_dilation.gif (6 KB, 252x189) Image search: [Google]
t_dilation.gif
6 KB, 252x189
If a spaceship is traveling in a circle overhead at 90% speed of light and broadcasting a live stream of themselves, would we be watching them in slow motion?
>>
No it'd move to fast for anyone to see it.
>>
>>7918502
wut
>>
>>7918491
>in a circle
I'm pretty sure that this makes for a non-inertial frame of reference.
>>
>>7919160
A circle with infinite radius is a non-inertial frame of reference too?
>>
>>7919162
there's no such thing as a circle with an infinite radius. that's a line, not a circle.
>>
>>7919165
Line = circle as r -> infinity
>>
>>7919168
wow so deep bro i love science
>>
Hahaha, I love /sci/. Here, if we don't know the answer we just start nitpicking on the question.

I don't know, dude. Try to generalize special relativity to polar coordinates and see what happens to the doppler effect.
>>
>>7918491
Yes. The signal would be redshifted though
>>
>>7919528
I'm going to say yes but it's not redshifted since the video camera is moving with the ship.
>>
>>7919567
It can't be slow-motion if the signal is not redshifted, since it is this shifting that makes it look slow. This is a really hard case to analyse since it is not an inertial frame, but a constant acceleration.

From intuition, I'd say the signal already leaves the ship redshifted. Whichever equipment is emitting it, is working with the proper time of the ship, thus in slow-motion from earth's perspective.
>>
>>7918491

Doppler effect

In classical physics, where the speeds of source and the receiver relative to the medium are lower than the velocity of waves in the medium, the relationship between observed frequency [math] f [/math]and emitted frequency [math] f_0 [/math] is given by.

[math] f = ( \frac{c + v_r}{c + v_s} ) f_0 [/math]
>>
>>7919662
Fast moving satellites can have a Doppler shift of dozens of kilohertz relative to a ground station. The speed, thus magnitude of Doppler effect, changes due to earth curvature. Dynamic Doppler compensation, where the frequency of a signal is changed multiple times during transmission, is used so the satellite receives a constant frequency signal.
>>
>>7918491
In slow motion when it is moving away from the watcher and in fast motion when it is moving towards the watcher.
A circular motion would mean a net zero difference in the long run.
>>
>>7919782
I don't have the evidence to support it, but they would definitely be slowed down the entire time.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.