[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to go crazy from doing too much math?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7
File: 1431755591418.jpg (47 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1431755591418.jpg
47 KB, 640x360
Is it possible to go crazy from doing too much math?
>>
its actually expected. too much theoretical math is like masturbating too much; it taxes the organ heavily
>>
My wife would argue that the answer is yes.
>>
>>7917193
Yes. Doing any form of heavy logic, be it math, programming or chess, for a prolonged time might trigger mental illnesses. It is not what our brains are intended to be used for.
>>
>>7917272
citation? I'm curious...
>>
>>7917272
you can be the citation. prove to me that 2 + 2 = 5
>>
>>7917565
kek. Actually, I am a mathematician and a schizophrenic. I have read studies (that I can't cite off the top of my head) which show that mathematicians and schizophrenics share a similar dopamine system. I'm not entirely sure what this relationship implies, but it is interesting. I can say from personal experience that diving deeply into a mathematical problem leaves me feeling satisfied as though I have just gotten laid.
>>
>>7917193
If it causes you so much stress that it triggers a latent mental illness, then yes. It sounds like that's what happened to John Nash. He was so obsessed with becoming the best of his time, he broke himself while trying to prove the Riemann Hypothesis. That's up to interpretation I suppose and I don't know much about his life.
>>
>>7917565
the concept of "two" and "five" is merely a human invention to explain mathematical logic. In my own mind I can create and begin using a new system where 2 is actually 2.5
>>
>>7917602
in my mind i can also vehemently believe that sticking a fork in my wall socket will stop nuclear war. not only is there a hardly visible line between theoretical mathematicians and those insane, i would argue the 2 things are synonymous
>>
>>7917591
Consider this from the other direction: do people become mathematicians because their brains function in a different way than the average person? Does mathematics cause schizophrenia or does schizophrenia cause people to be driven to mathematics? Or, is there simply correlation?
>>
File: lg_dollar_sign_12223.jpg (67 KB, 571x354) Image search: [Google]
lg_dollar_sign_12223.jpg
67 KB, 571x354
>>7917193

Is it possible to become too swag from doing too much math?

-Fred Kachingski
>>
acknowledging the scope and possibility of the world alone opens such minds to fear. math is not the forbidden fruit per say, but it does expose one to all sorts of truths not mentioned in the standard social sphere. the operating axiom there, as i believe it, is that if its not impossible, it is possible, and that possibility can be exerting on the mind
>>
>>7917620
if you also manage to convince yourself that you've stopped nuclear war then in your own reality you've succeeded, although in the perspective of other people you're insane
>>
>>7917641
i definitely dislike the notion and history of 'insanity'. but i do believe in unhappy people, and people that are statistically more threatening to the lives of theirself and others
>>
>>7917650
well I think with insanity you could technically define it based on neurological imbalances or deformities. I'm not really that big of an existentialism faggot, but I do buy into it to the point that you can't logically 'prove' that anything is real beyond your own thought.
>>
>>7917587
When did you find out that you were schizophrenic? And, have things changed a significant amount for you since?
I've been mildly worried about myself lately, and wondering if there are signs I should be looking out for.
>>
*How did you find out...
Whoops, although I guess when as well.
>>
>>7917587
>mathematical problem leaves me feeling satisfied as though I have just gotten laid.
so much this
>>
>>7917704
I was diagnosed during my second year at university which was about 30 years ago.. Have things changed for me since diagnosis? Yes and no. I still cycle through periods where my worldview doesn't match up well with that of the people around me. However, years of of experimentation with at least a dozen different anti-psychotics led me to a medication and dosage that keeps me grounded in the "shared reality" most of the time. I haven't gone through a bad spell for about five years now. As far as what symptoms you should look for, I wouldn't presume to diagnose anyone. If you have concerns, see a good psychiatrist.
>>
>>7917565
autism test
>>
>>7917565
>2+2=5
>4=5
>1=1.25
>>
>Can you think too much.
I mean, there's a point where it becomes unhealthy obsession, but I don't think many people are sitting there in a daze while they evaluate triple integrals for 30 hours straight.

People underestimate the resilience of the human mind and (non-obese) body. You don't live long enough to justify worrying about stupid shit like that.
>>
>>7917193
>5'1''

the man was destined to go crazy from being ugly, short and nerdy.
>>
>>7918332
>manletifesto
>>
>>7918240
>1=1.25
Why not?

Also, isn't logic bound to our very perspective of reality? Imagine a different reality where 2+2=5
>>
>>7917193
You're thinking of mathemphetimines.
>>
Well I once stabbed my Calc II textbook with a hunting knife. It was very cathartic.
>>
What is overworking.

/thread
>>
>>7917625
It's documented that children with psychosis excel at math academically.
>>
File: Young_theodore_kaczynski.jpg (222 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
Young_theodore_kaczynski.jpg
222 KB, 640x453
>>7918332
That bar is 5'6" not 5'1". Do you really think his head was one inch? He was about average height. Also, here was him when he was younger. He became ugly because he went crazy
>>
>>7917193
Yes. But the opposite is also true. I've heard about people doing math functions not to go insane.
>>
>>7920387
Nice shot of Bancroft.
>>
>>7917864
You can fucking listen the symptoms, dumbass. And are you saying you are at least 50 y.o.? Holy fucking shit, your post sounds incredibly retarded, I don't know if you are really a mathematician because your IQ must be shit
>>
>>7920406
*list

>inb4 typos are symptoms
>>
File: Timing.jpg (63 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Timing.jpg
63 KB, 800x600
100% of Mathematicians would argue no but 100% of Truck Drivers would argue they have no sexual perversions.
>>
>>7920421
>10=2
>15=3
>20=4
>PIECES

I can only imagine the dumb whore face of the teacher who corrected this. Holy fucking shit is a dumb cum eater
>>
>>7917193
Depends what you mean by crazy.

Full-on psychotic? No. You can't induce psychosis like that.And schizophrenics (who are the majority of psychotic episodes) are probably more likely to veer away from mathematics because following and constructing chains of logic is hard when your reasoning is all messed up.

You can certainly develop an obsession with math, and you might develop some eccentricities because of your obsession, but that's not actually crazy. Just moderately weird.
>>
Math doesn't make people crazy.
MK ultra makes people crazy.
>>
>>7920406
Of course. You're correct. I'm really a 17-year-old high school student who is bad at math. You got me.
>>
>>7920387
he looks crazy then
>>
I think you can go insane from studying fractals too much.
>>
>>7920387
>5'6''
>Not a manlet

Damn son
>>
it's a shame he exploded things
he was an elder wizard tier mathematician
>>
>>7920421
what a stupid fucking question

IT TAKES 2 CUTS TO MAKE 3 PIECES
>>
>>7917193
Just use a search engine of your preference please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_and_mental_illness
>>
>>7920954
You say that like search engines that are not google aren't using google.

There is only google. In fact, if i was google, i'd buy/make search engine to give the illusion i don't have a monopoly.
The old faggots in congress, that barely know how to check their email, have no chance to know what's up.
>>
>>7918251
Are you aware of what actual math is or
>>
>>7920971
There is a monopoly for Google in certain regions and certain languages.

For the English speaking countries there is no alternative.
>>
>>7920971
actually, buy buying another search engine you became a monopoly. having the best product is just capitalism
>>
>>7920971
>>7920981
i mean. akctuwally
>>
>>7920981
You don't do it directly, duh.
You do it like the sunglasses mono- uh, industry.
>>
>>7920971
Try Bing videos my friend, especially when you are feeling like rubbing one out.
>>
Meth, yes.
>>
kaczinski was not mad. he wanted to warn us, and help to avoid, about the artificial intelligence holocaust that is now coming.
>>
>>7922417
about the march of progress
>>
>>7922426
read the peter norvig's work on AI
>>
A lot of mathematicians get diagnosed with mental illness as they age. Kurt Godel and John Nash come to mind. Whether its coincidental or not is what I dont know.
>>
>>7921004
Right, only meth!
>>
>>7922519
A lot on non-mathematicians are diagnosed with a mental illness as they age as well. The question I am interested in is whether or not there is a higher incidence of mental illness in mathematicians as compared to the population as a whole and, if so, why?
>>
>>7922603
implying a mathematician would let a psychologist meter his brain function
>>
>>7922613
What do you mean by "meter his brain function"? Most psychiatrists do not have access to or use fMRI's for diagnostic purposes. I believe many of them would like to, but that is a very expensive machine. An insurance company won't pay for that shit.
>>
File: 1454260523205.jpg (246 KB, 904x1173) Image search: [Google]
1454260523205.jpg
246 KB, 904x1173
>>7917193
>ted will never wish you good luck on your final exams
>>
>>7920406
>>>/b/
If you're worried that you're schizophrenic, then you're not schizophrenic. I am not a psychiatrist but you sound like a fucking autist to me lad.
>>
>>7917559
>>7917565
statistically, there is a higher rate of schizophrenics among mathematicians than other professions.
>>
>>7923339
This is close to correct, but not quite. If you are worried that you are actively psychotic, you are probably not psychotic. I know that I have been diagnosed, time and again by many different doctors, as being schizophrenic and I understand why. But, I also know that when I have active symptoms of psychosis, I don't realize there is a problem. I have to rely on the people around me for that.
>>
>>7923365
>But, I also know that when I have active symptoms of psychosis, I don't realize there is a problem.
This.
At lot of people read this list and become convinced that they are developing schizophrenia. That is most likely what this faggot >>7920406 thought

http://schizophrenia.com/earlysigns.htm
>>
>>7923365
yes, mental disorders are those that they are very difficult to see through introspection
>>
>>7923207
>what frogs are you referring to?
We will never know.
>>
>>7923207
>tfw ted was the first to complain about the fucking frogposters
>>
>>7920421
Is this real? It can't be.
>>
>>7917620
*Some* theoretical mathematicians.
Don't generalize like that.
Look up 'inconsistent mathematics'.
>>
>>7923339
Not that it matters on an anonymous imageboard, but I was the person who originally inquired about symptoms. Whoever responded to him afterward was not myself (and was very rude!).
>>
>>7917641
There's really no such thing as "one's own reality", there's only one reality that's the same for everyone.
>>
>>7924619
Bullshit.
>>
>>7920980
searx.me
>>
Yes
http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com

This site is periodically expanded by copying from its paper form, there are some 40,000 pages that have yet to be added to the online version.
>>
>>7924616
My apologies m'lady
>>
>>7923363
Thank you for letting us know you are a retard, he was actually asking for a link to a peer-reviewed scientific study
>>
Question. Can you develop schizophrenia from video games (especially shooters like CoD, Halo, Battlefield, etc.)? My friend told me this and I am wondering if he was bullshitting me. He uses this as an excuse to act like he doesn't know what he's talking about when he is fully aware of the world around him. I myself have played a total of 800 hours with over a million kills on shooting games. Still not hearing voices. But I think they have affected me in some way, which is why I am thinking about what he said in the first place. Is it common to have sleeping problems, increased impulsive and compulsive behaviors, flashing lights in my eyes, and reflexes/responsiveness that matches my experience in video games? I just kinda agree that there have to be a disadvantage from playing so many fucking video games. And I think I have become a sociopath, since gore videos don't scare anymore after pulling a digital trigger millions of times. pls respond
>>
File: agony.jpg (25 KB, 630x344) Image search: [Google]
agony.jpg
25 KB, 630x344
>>7925119
Nice meme. I can post too.
But I should have been more specific. What are the neurological and psychological effects of playing video games 6 hours a day, 7 days a week, around 365 days a year? I think I am fucked up enough to get a government check...jk lol
>>
>>7925119
Could you please be a bit more well spoken?
Your stupid image doesn't prove anything.
>>
>>7925109
they are made to do so. not only were they created with the simulation of war in mind, the same way flight simulators were to teach pilots, they include many aspects that are there to create PTSD. if you ever play mgs4, youll notice the debris is very testing. either random flashes of light, or leaves falling in the corner or your screen.

do not really doubt the possibilities of the new world
>>
>>7925136
PTSD? Weird since shooters don't cause me stress neither are they traumatizing. But I think they are the cause of my awful sleep patterns, which helped me go into depression. Doesn't matter since both my parents have depression and genetics screwed me there. But the sleep problems are new and I think I have a slight sense of constant hyperactivity in my mind. And I am able to recall images easily in my head now. I think video games gave me a photographic memory as I am able to recall every map I've played on in a video game piece by piece. Or that might be a natural thing, who knows.
I think I have some sort of maladaptive daydreaming where I have a hard time refraining from thinking about video games. I can literally replay an entire match in my mind if I wanted too. I have became so used to it. It's a shame playing video games don't give you any money whatsoever. I wonder what kind of job I can go into from my "experiences".
>>
>>7925162
I found this. I guess he was right in one way or another.
http://www.schizophrenic.com/news/schizophrenia-research/excessive-gaming-causes-brain-changes-similar-addicts-schizophrenics
>>
>>7925162
no, ptsd is a disorder, it says so in the name. disorders are not to be seen through banal introspection. because you have no relativism, you cannot compare your current state of mind to one otherwise. for example rabbits are notoriously stressed creatures. its in their nature, they do not know it or think it unusual, but it causes their species malady under many scenarios. the are known to die from fright
>>
>>7925129
I thought his message was clear enough
>>
>>7920629
this
>>
>>7924243
Reptilians.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.