[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cancer treatments for a family member
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (300 KB, 2500x1406) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300 KB, 2500x1406
Hey guys, my mother is in a pretty bad shape due to cancer. She's had it for about half a year now and it isn't getting any better. The main issue right now is that it is blocking the intestines and doesn't allow her to digest food properly or go to the bathroom. She's on heavy chemo right now to attempt to subdue the tumor so that we have more time to find alternative treatments. She's been through two surgeries so far to remove the tumor from the intestines but because so much of it has already been removed I don't think we can do surgery like that again. If anyone has any insight or resources towards potential treatments and help please let me know.
>>
>>7914627
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials

basically your the guinea pig in clinical trials. not sure how difficult it is to apply and get accepted.
>>
Good luck, take care.
>>
>>7914651
It must suck to be placed in the control group if you do a trial like that.
>>
File: 1a1.jpg (21 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1a1.jpg
21 KB, 400x300
>>7914627
>alternative treatment
I hope you mean other methods based in modern medicine, not some homeopathic crap. That stuff doesn't work, I know women often like to believe its does miracles but it doesn't. Don't let your mom near an alternative medicine crank.

To relieve her pain, get marijuana. Seriously, make her a space cake or something. Should really help against the vomiting after a chemo session.

I don't have cures or anything like that for you, please consult with an actual doctor and talk to someone in an academic hospital for trials (Johns Hopkins university maybe?).

Other than that, take care pupper. Cancer sucks.
>>
>>7914627
>Two previous surgeries and chemo now
Sorry but it's probably over for her sooner rather than late.

Unless it's metastatic then chemo might shrink it to allow some last ditch highly radical abdominal surgery but quality of life won't be good after that either.

>>7914690
You still get the regular line of treatment in the control group, they don't hang you out to dry. And as often as not the trial group isn't going to fare much better.
>>
Wish your family the best, just look out for her and chairish the time you have together.
>>
Fuck man, sorry to hear this. My mom went through a nasty bout with breast cancer a few years back but she's in remission now.

Hope she pulls through, anon. I really do. Sending good vibes your way
>>
I wish her well!
>>
It's heartwarming to see that /sci/ and by extension 4chan can be nice and compassionate too, sometimes.
>>
I had 2 aunts that had cancer,1 died and the other lived,the one that died didn't die from the cancer but a blood clot in her lung from the chemo/treatment.There's treatments where they use microwaves to burn the tumor off or something instead of cutting into flesh,flesh may grow back better afterwards.
>>
File: fishpom.gif (3 MB, 1530x1080) Image search: [Google]
fishpom.gif
3 MB, 1530x1080
here is a cute Japanese cartoon to cheer you up OP.
>>
If you're desperate you can try some alternative methods that won't hurt while she's doing her normal treatment. I know of Phoenix tears and a really woo woo electrical device created in like the 50s that i totally forgot the name of.

I wouldn't advise her getting off her regular treatment at all though of course.
>>
>>7917431
I wish weaboos would get cancer
>>
Might as well use marijuana and do alternative medicine if they don't negatively affect her health or the treatment
>>
>>7917420
>blood clot in her lung from the chemo/treatment
Cancer fucks up your coagulation state on its own, she should've been on heparin/warfarin to prevent pulmonary embolisms.
>>
>>7917523
>literally insulting the thing that this website was built for.

Why are you even here? Go to your Facebook group hugbox tough guy.
>>
>>7914627
How bad are oxygenation levels? They are important during chemo and almost no one cares about them.
Sorry for your mother. I don't have a cure, surprisingly.. cancers are fucking bastards.
I don't know much about digestive tracts mutations too, but I'll try thinking about it.
>>
File: 1411646246039.png (41 KB, 316x321) Image search: [Google]
1411646246039.png
41 KB, 316x321
If the tumor is big enough to be causing bowel obstruction and hasnt been relieved with multiple surgeries....its time to think hospice and palliative care bro. She really does not have long. Cherish what time you have left :(

>medfag
>>
>>7917568
Australia was built for prisoners

Should I think well of criminals?
>>
>>7918690
I honestly don't care what you do.
>>
>>7919324
>missing the point
>>
>>7914627
>The future fate of every third person reading this
Just a friendly reminder /sci/
>>
>>7919357
Maybe you could humor me by telling me who built australia?
>>
>>7919522
The British
>>
>>7917543
Well US Doctors suck what do you except,quality care?
>>
>>7914627
The british think they have found the cure. You would have to do it under trials. What they do is take out white blood cells and reprogram them to attack the specific tumor and put them back inside you
>>
>>7919933
I hate the US healthcare system more than anyone but you can't deny that if you have money it is simply the best. Even we in Britain occasionally have to send patients there because we don't have the treatment. Proton beam therapy was the most recent reason a kid got sent to the states.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.