[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Awkward questions that made you look retarted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 698.jpg (80 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
698.jpg
80 KB, 600x600
>Be me
>second semester doing physics 1
>teacher talks about thermodinamics
>Ask her at the end of the class: Which chemical element is fire composed from?

Her reaction will haunt me for the eternity
>>
>>7911138
...and her reaction was?
>>
File: NGC134_70wendel.jpg (650 KB, 2374x1648) Image search: [Google]
NGC134_70wendel.jpg
650 KB, 2374x1648
Daughter
>>
>>7911138
nothing wrong with that question imo
>>
>>7911138

Carbon
>>
File: 891.png (42 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
891.png
42 KB, 625x626
>>7911142
I hope this answer your question
She quit 1 year sfter that
>>
That's very close to a question I asked in physics 1. When we were learning heat transfer, and we were told that water had a high specific heat, I asked if that had anything to do with how well it puts out fire.
>>
>>7911138
Eh, we all ask retarded shit sometimes. It happens when you ask a question before thinking about it.
>>
>>7911154
Well i'm pretty sure i hear stupider questions everyday
>>
>>7911154
Idiot. That's a smart question.
>>
>>7911617
>>7911154
How did the prof react? It's actually a very good question, high thermal capacity absorbs the heat which stops the propagation of fire. Similar how burning damp wood is hard because most of the heat is lost to converting water in wood to steam.
>>
Thank you based /sci/ , what a great thread
>>
>>7911138
Literally high school chemistry. Any hydrocarbon you burn will react with O2 to create CO2 and H2O
>>
>>7911138
My understanding of fire is that you're visualizing carbon's electrons undergoing some sort of oxidation reduction reaction with oxygen.
>>
Please, don't ever be embarrassed by any question you ask.

Feynman on asking questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM

There is a great passage from him about how he would ask "stupid" questions in classes; he felt that no questions were stupid if they helped you to understand what you were learning. But I couldn't find a video.

You are not at fault, OP. Your professor, who instead of recognizing that you had a legitimate question but that you couldn't yet phrase it due to your lack of knowledge on the subject, punished you by being bewildered.
>>
File: 1450160381613.gif (1 MB, 718x404) Image search: [Google]
1450160381613.gif
1 MB, 718x404
>professor talks about how he and other professors laugh about stupid questions students make after class ends

I'll never open my mouth again
>>
>have tutorials with a pretty distinguished theoretical physics professor for a year
>year later see him drunk at a department function
>he brings up this one question i asked about wavefunctions and laughs at me with the other profs
fuck /sci/ make it stop
>>
>>7913411
>>professor talks about how he and other professors laugh about stupid questions students make after class ends
I'd laugh at other professors for not getting their message across to the students to make them ask those questions too. How embarrassing.
>>
>>7911138
That's not retarded anon. That's a brilliant question to ask and I'm guessing that you stumped the teacher!
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.